[Poll] Community Choice: Next Official Extension

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved

Which an extension below should be the next official extension?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 am

Auto Groups
35%
Posting Templates
10%
Paypal/Donation
9%
Pages
46%

Total votes: 240

nothenrik

Re: [Poll] Community Choice: Next Official Extension

Post by nothenrik » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:00 pm

Scheduled posts would be amazing!

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:12 pm

nothenrik wrote:Scheduled posts would be amazing!
Pony99CA wrote:"topics only visible to topic starter"
Can we please stick to the options available in the poll? There are 4 options, pick one of those or sort the list in order of preference. I assume there will be an Extensions Request forum at some point if you would like to request one. ;)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Dr.Death
QA Team

Post by Dr.Death » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:33 pm

1. Pages
2. Auto Groups
Doc.

MakisH

Post by MakisH » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:16 pm

Pony99CA wrote:By the way, for a PayPal extension, I really hope that it will be plug-in-based (like Search or CAPTCHA) so that sites could support other payment gateways (for example, maybe Square or Quicken has something). Ship a PayPal plug-in that works, but make the infrastructure generic enough to support other gateways.

Steve
That's a nice idea! Bitcoin for example may become pretty popular in the next ?few? years.

@PayBas: I'm so glad someone continued this MOD! I will try to help with a translation, bug reporting etc.

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Before I vote on the
Next Official Extension
... can I ask...
what was the previous official extension?

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:49 pm

Boards Announcements
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:19 am

and Board Rules
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:20 am

tmbackoff wrote:
Can we please stick to the options available in the poll? There are 4 options, pick one of those or sort the list in order of preference. I assume there will be an Extensions Request forum at some point if you would like to request one. ;)
You quoted me out of context. I did vote for Auto Groups and posted with it first.

However, for the Official Extension after that, I don't want it to be one in the poll, and I think that it's fair to list that here since you can only vote for one.

For that matter, why can't we have "write ins"? If there's huge groundswell for an extension that isn't listed, maybe the Extension Team would consider that instead. After all, suggestions like that do fit the subject of the topic (community input on the next Official Extension). It's not our fault that the poll is faulty. :twisted: (Polls like this should always have a "None of the above -- explain in comments" option.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:18 am

Jessica wrote:Boards Announcements
tmbackoff wrote:and Board Rules
And google analytics

https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/
Pony99CA wrote:
tmbackoff wrote:
You quoted me out of context. I did vote for Auto Groups and posted with it first.

However, for the Official Extension after that, I don't want it to be one in the poll, and I think that it's fair to list that here since you can only vote for one.

For that matter, why can't we have "write ins"? If there's huge groundswell for an extension that isn't listed, maybe the Extension Team would consider that instead. After all, suggestions like that do fit the subject of the topic (community input on the next Official Extension). It's not our fault that the poll is faulty. :twisted: (Polls like this should always have a "None of the above -- explain in comments" option.)

Steve
We have an much more complex internal criteria for choosing official extensions that extends further than just what we believe will be popular.

We look at whether extensions are likely to be developed by someone else, how large the extension is, the internal complexity (For example the paypal one due to the integration of the paypal IPN would be quite complex, not necessarily relating to phpBB), how useful it is to use as a resource to teach extension authors/serve as an example extension amongst many other criterion in addition to the obvious, how well used/how popular the extension will be. From that we have come up with a short list of suggestions to which we are putting it to a vote.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

infamanious

Post by infamanious » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm

In my own opinion, pages is the most important because it allows for template designers to create the most important aspect of a social, community website without editing the config files. The news/ latest development front page.

poultrymatters

Post by poultrymatters » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Posting Templates!

I have found ways to get around all the others but have been waiting for posting templates for years.

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Voted AUTO GROUPS. But was a very close thing between that and voting for PAGES

Great to see this, and official extension being created.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 am

MichaelC wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:For that matter, why can't we have "write ins"? If there's huge groundswell for an extension that isn't listed, maybe the Extension Team would consider that instead. After all, suggestions like that do fit the subject of the topic (community input on the next Official Extension). It's not our fault that the poll is faulty. :twisted: (Polls like this should always have a "None of the above -- explain in comments" option.)
We have an much more complex internal criteria for choosing official extensions that extends further than just what we believe will be popular.

We look at whether extensions are likely to be developed by someone else, how large the extension is, the internal complexity (For example the paypal one due to the integration of the paypal IPN would be quite complex, not necessarily relating to phpBB), how useful it is to use as a resource to teach extension authors/serve as an example extension amongst many other criterion in addition to the obvious, how well used/how popular the extension will be. From that we have come up with a short list of suggestions to which we are putting it to a vote.
Thanks for that explanation. Of course, some of those goals are somewhat contradictory. For example, very complex extensions probably wouldn't be the best teaching candidates; simpler but non-trivial ones would be best at first, I would think. But maybe the others that you've created fall into that category.

Regardless, your explanation was useful. I just hope that there are more than four extensions planned by the team further on. ;) And I'm still happy that you picked up my suggestion for "official plug-ins" and created the team. :D

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

LavIgor

Post by LavIgor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 am

poultrymatters wrote:Posting Templates!

I have found ways to get around all the others but have been waiting for posting templates for years.
Have you seen this MOD?

I think that when it comes to posting templates an extension should look like this (with ability to create custom forms, not only to paste predefined text into messages). ;)

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:19 am

To be clear, the Pages extension proposed is NOT a CMS (content management system) or site builder. It's just a way to add custom content in static pages to your board, like about us and info pages, for example.
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”