Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Post by KevC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 pm

aduh wrote:If there are any significant changes on security that force me to update from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 ?
Additionally, it's worth noting that, if we keep a similar system to when 2x changed to 3x, the 3.0.x line will continue to be supported for around 12 months after 3.1.x comes out so there's no immediate urgency for an upgrade if that doesn't suit you.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

aduh
Name: Hans'

Post by aduh » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:06 pm

KevC wrote:
aduh wrote:If there are any significant changes on security that force me to update from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 ?
Additionally, it's worth noting that, if we keep a similar system to when 2x changed to 3x, the 3.0.x line will continue to be supported for around 12 months after 3.1.x comes out so there's no immediate urgency for an upgrade if that doesn't suit you.
I have a lot of mods on my 3.0.12 forum which is working great.
I dont see a reason to upgrade to 3.1.x as I know that there is a problem with mods compatibility.
Only security reason will force me to do it. I hope there will be an info when 3.0.12 will become unsecure
(I hope its never happen).
Thanks for great work !
2012 APOCALYPSE NNC
gaming community
http://www.nonameclan.pl/2012

umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Again disappointed with phpBB. :cry:

SMF and MyBB are increasingly ahead of phpBB. If we compare with commercial versions like vBulletin or Invision Power Board (IPB) not to mention, there is the difference of light years!
  • Lack of visual editor option (WYSYWIG);
  • Lack of improvement SEO;
  • Lack of friendly urls;
  • Lack of creation of static pages;
  • And much more...
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

umarizal wrote:Again disappointed with phpBB. :cry:

SMF and MyBB are increasingly ahead of phpBB. If we compare with commercial versions like vBulletin or Invision Power Board (IPB) not to mention, there is the difference of light years!
  • Lack of friendly urls;
  • And much more...
wysiwyg editor is a very debatable issue. it is just a bulletin board, it is a text based concept.
most people don't need to create complex formatted documents for a bulletin board post.

phpbb's SEO is just fine like it is.
"friendly urls" is a non issue
search engines understand perfectly well what a php based website urls are and have no problem at all with them.
people don't care either, people just click on a link, they usually do not even see what the url actually is.

I find it strange that people seem to think phpbb is so far behind the others. as far as I know, it is still the most widely used bulletin board script in the world, certainly of the free ones.

not saying phpbb can't be improved, the new version will have some of the things you mentioned.

however, in my opinion, they are not things that are required for a bulletin board.

phpbb is not a blog, it is not a cms etc. it is a bulletin board.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

VOLKERMORD

Post by VOLKERMORD » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:34 pm

• Lack of friendly urls;
  • And much more...
LOL SMF, MyBB,vBulletin , Invision Power Board has very low security you dont need more then 5 minute to hack
that "forums" lol.
So stay with that forums.
Har tios tintoninos insus tiko is dakon kand sia til kogaion ilmaton hlioylo pleiste naktoilo

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:47 pm

• Lack of friendly urls;
  • And much more...
1. Not needed in core (IMO)
2. Not needed
3. Not needed
4. There will be an extension

SMF and MyBB may have its advantages but even so I still prefer phpBB for many reasons
Please do not PM me for support unless it is absolutely necessary
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:22 pm

I HATE WYSIWYG editors with a passion, I for one definitely don't want one.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:16 pm

I don't understand why you are here complaining about phpBB when you could be using the other software that you claim is so much better. Nobody is forcing you to use any particular piece of software, you are free to choose what best fits your needs and use it.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Can we keep the discussion geared towards the announcement of RC3? umarizal, if you feel phpBB will benefit from a specific feature, please start a topic over on Area51 (I'm pretty sure that the first 3 already have topics though).
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Everyone has an opinion. For me, what I said earlier is what I think about phpBB.

I like phpBB, otherwise I would not use it. However, I see others each day passing much faster phpBB.

About the comparison that did not agree. A visual editor (WYSIWYG) is not for the blogs. A visual editor helps beginners, people with little experience in bbcodes to create nicely formatted texts.

For those who do not like, just be an option to turn on or turn off the visual editor, as there is in SMF, for example.

About SEO, in my opinion, the phpBB lacking.

Friendly URLs are so important, especially for search engines and in your search results.

I know I'm free to continue or not continue with phpBB, but I want to stay with him and want him to get better. If you think something can improve or what you would change do you simply leave?

Moreover, with a forum for almost 10 years using phpBB, ever wondered how bad it would switch to another platform overnight?

Thank you all for your attention and answers and I ask you respect my opinion, however, did not cease to expose your. ;)
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

Socially Uncensored
Name: Adam H

Post by Socially Uncensored » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:39 pm

Really think that phpbb.com (here) should be upgraded to 3.1 for more public testing before going to the final release. Especially since 3.1 does finally add a responsive design layout. phpBB gets a high volume of traffic than most test site and it would better expose any issues that may have gone unnoticed.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Socially Uncensored wrote:Really think that phpbb.com (here) should be upgraded to 3.1 for more public testing before going to the final release. Especially since 3.1 does finally add a responsive design layout. phpBB gets a high volume of traffic than most test site and it would better expose any issues that may have gone unnoticed.
We are working on that, don't be afraid :)
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

Socially Uncensored
Name: Adam H

Post by Socially Uncensored » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Paul wrote:
Socially Uncensored wrote:Really think that phpbb.com (here) should be upgraded to 3.1 for more public testing before going to the final release. Especially since 3.1 does finally add a responsive design layout. phpBB gets a high volume of traffic than most test site and it would better expose any issues that may have gone unnoticed.
We are working on that, don't be afraid :)
Outstanding and very good to know. :)

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Have to say I think 3.1 is superb so far, a really good jump forward IMO. I've never been too fussed about updates before but this time it's really been worth it after testing 3.1 RC2 and RC3. Great amount of work and well done to all involved.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Return to “phpBB Discussion”