Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Socially Uncensored wrote:Really think that phpbb.com (here) should be upgraded to 3.1 for more public testing before going to the final release. Especially since 3.1 does finally add a responsive design layout. phpBB gets a high volume of traffic than most test site and it would better expose any issues that may have gone unnoticed.
area51 is the test board for the new versions. it already has it installed and has had for a while.

when it goes final is when this board will switch over.
I have a feeling that is coming soon considering all the work that has been going on here for the last couple of weeks. :D

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:08 pm

umarizal wrote:Everyone has an opinion. For me, what I said earlier is what I think about phpBB.

I like phpBB, otherwise I would not use it. However, I see others each day passing much faster phpBB.

About the comparison that did not agree. A visual editor (WYSIWYG) is not for the blogs. A visual editor helps beginners, people with little experience in bbcodes to create nicely formatted texts.

For those who do not like, just be an option to turn on or turn off the visual editor, as there is in SMF, for example.

About SEO, in my opinion, the phpBB lacking.

Friendly URLs are so important, especially for search engines and in your search results.

I know I'm free to continue or not continue with phpBB, but I want to stay with him and want him to get better. If you think something can improve or what you would change do you simply leave?

Moreover, with a forum for almost 10 years using phpBB, ever wondered how bad it would switch to another platform overnight?

Thank you all for your attention and answers and I ask you respect my opinion, however, did not cease to expose your. ;)
You really shouldn't believe everything that is written on SEO pages.
While this might be kinda old, it still applies to the search engine friendly URL topic:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... -urls.html

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:10 pm

I am very happy to see RC3 out. The updates has been incredibly fast over the past 6 months.

Is this going to be the last RC version? I know you can't tell for sure, but let's say based on the number of pending fixes / reports as of today, is it safe to assume the stable release will be out next?

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Alien_Time wrote:Is this going to be the last RC version? I know you can't tell for sure, but let's say based on the number of pending fixes / reports as of today, is it safe to assume the stable release will be out next?
The stable release will happen when the developers feel it's ready. There will be as many RCs as needed to make sure the product is stable.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

umarizal
Name: Leandro dos Santos

Post by umarizal » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Marc wrote:
umarizal wrote:Everyone has an opinion. For me, what I said earlier is what I think about phpBB.

I like phpBB, otherwise I would not use it. However, I see others each day passing much faster phpBB.

About the comparison that did not agree. A visual editor (WYSIWYG) is not for the blogs. A visual editor helps beginners, people with little experience in bbcodes to create nicely formatted texts.

For those who do not like, just be an option to turn on or turn off the visual editor, as there is in SMF, for example.

About SEO, in my opinion, the phpBB lacking.

Friendly URLs are so important, especially for search engines and in your search results.

I know I'm free to continue or not continue with phpBB, but I want to stay with him and want him to get better. If you think something can improve or what you would change do you simply leave?

Moreover, with a forum for almost 10 years using phpBB, ever wondered how bad it would switch to another platform overnight?

Thank you all for your attention and answers and I ask you respect my opinion, however, did not cease to expose your. ;)
You really shouldn't believe everything that is written on SEO pages.
While this might be kinda old, it still applies to the search engine friendly URL topic:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... -urls.html
Even reading the article cited, very good, I still think that phpBB has to improve, especially with regard to friendly urls.

Not only with friendly static urls, but fundamentally with URLs that have the keywords of the topic or title, as in this example, onde é usado o phpBB SEO Mod:
http://www.guiadaobra.net/forum/constru ... -t463.html

Since there is still option, if they wish, to remove words with three letters or less and also the defined stopwords.

Additionally, phpBB SEO premod has many extra functions that could come by default in phpBB because they are basic for a good SEO / SERP.
EN: Do to others what you would want them to do to you.
ES: Haz a los demás todo lo que quieras que te hagan a ti.
PT: Faça aos outros o que você gostaria que fizessem a você.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm

So called 'Friendly URL's' really don't matter IMO...If they were so important then Google/Youtube etc would use them.

Google search for Together in electric dreams gets me the exact video I want as the top result and the URL of that video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1lzqJCeJ0

It's the Content' that matters as #1.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Reed!

Post by Reed! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Alien_Time wrote:Is this going to be the last RC version? I know you can't tell for sure, but let's say based on the number of pending fixes / reports as of today, is it safe to assume the stable release will be out next?
No, it's looking like the release schedule is RC4, then 3.1.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 am

Reed! wrote:
and what brings to that conclusion? do you know something the rest of us do not?

I am not saying that it won't happen, just wondering what makes you think so.

robert

watisnf.nl
Name: David

Post by watisnf.nl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Reed! wrote:
and what brings to that conclusion? do you know something the rest of us do not?

I am not saying that it won't happen, just wondering what makes you think so.

robert
I guess that he took his conclusions from seeing the tracker, but you can't do that ;) If a RC4 is release RC5 will be added to the tracker, besides that the tracker might say RC4 that doesn't mean that we can't jump to an official release... Nobody knows ;) Just wait and see!
Dutch Translator | Looking for, Dutch extensions translations

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 am

@Lumpy - I think reed was saying it based on what its showing in GitHub. I was looking at that too where it says up to rc4 and then 3.1.

@tmbackoff - I knew I am going to get its ready when it's ready answer. That's why I asked, based on the status of it 'today', do developers feel there may be a need for another RC. Atleast a little bit of insight on something will be helpful for me. Reason being, I am completely revamping my site all together and releasing it in nov. If I atleast have an idea that there is a small chance that the stable might be out by then, then I might take it into consideration and plan accordingly.. Look I know there are no guarantees. But 3.1 is not in alpha stage and being in RC3 stage I am sure the developers might have a better idea than what it was before. Atleast now you should give us a little bit of insight so it helps admins like me to plan our projects accordingly.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:53 pm

The problem is there is no official release date. If I told you we were releasing it tomorrow and a serious bug or security issue was found that required additional time, then the perception that I lied reflects negatively on the project. I'm sure an announcement will be made once the release is final instead of just dumping it on the community out of the blue. ;)

EDIT: For reference, the date for 3.0.0 was announced 4 days before the official release.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Thanks Tabitha for writing back to me.... It's a little hard without a rough eta and when we know only 4-5 days before official release. Anyhow, my speculation is that there is a good chance the stable could be out by end of this year based on the activities I've over the recent months. (Atleast keeping my fingers crossed with this hope). I am hoping it comes out soon since I got a whole lot to build after the release. :) I might wait till Oct and see how things shape up. If not I would need to go with 3.0.12 when I release my project in which case, I won't have time to update to 3.1 for another year or more which would be a shame.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm

Just a question.... I was looking at the phpbb RC4 tracker for 3.1 and it is showing like 400+ unresolved issues. Does this have to come to 0 before the stable version is announced? omg... thats gonna take forever! How does the development work before you decide the final version is ready?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:23 pm

I am not sure why people worry bout this so much.

go ahead with your project whatever it is. use whatever the current stable release of phpbb is at the time you want to launch.

when the final release of 3.1 comes out then you can simply upgrade without effecting much at all.

if you have a custom style or custom pages etc. then you would have to update them manually etc.
however, you have to do that now with 3.0.

the upgrade to 3.1 should only take a few minutes not counting any custom work you have to do.

heck, even upgrading from 2 to 3 usually only takes a few minutes.

robert

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:12 pm

True but its not easy which has a lot of custom work. For instance, I am creating a completely custom style for phpbb without the frame and integrating it with Joomla in a wrapped mode. So now if 3.1 is not going to out by oct-nov, then I first need to create a custom style for 3.0.x and then I need to recreate it once again as soon as 3.1 is out. If its a stand-alone mode with default prosilver, its too easy. But I need to change it to a frameless mode, redesign it and use it inside Joomla. Also I need to further update the bridge and other Joomla components that is closely integrated with phpbb. So yeah, a lot of custom work is there after updating the phpbb board to 3.1 first. It will be easier if I can just start with 3.1 so I dont need to do this with 3.0.x and again with 3.1. Thats what I trying to work out what to do since I will not be using it as out of the box..

Return to “phpBB Discussion”