Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0-RC3 released

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:14 pm

dkone164 wrote:Hi,
Sorry i don't know how issue report work. neither where post.
I'm testing 3.1 rc3...
I have enabling Oauth and when i try facebook login, i have the next announce :
You have attempted to login with an external service that is not yet connected to an account on this board. You must now either link this account to an existing account or create a new account.
And now when i try to login on phpbb login, a blank page appear.

I can't connect anymore...
This topic is not for support. You will need to open up a support topic in the 3.1.x support forum.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

dkone164

Post by dkone164 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 pm

ok thanks

thartley55

Post by thartley55 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey all.
Just chiming in to say, looks nice so far. I only recently installed RD3, and it looks good. I'm notice a few changes in the panel, and I like them.
And I would also agree with earlier...I love phpBB because it is not bloated with a lot of unnecessary stuff, that you need to weed thru and disable if you don't want, etc.
I like having a system, that you can add mods/extensions/addons to...to suit your needs.
Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the final release.

Mike

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 pm

I think it will be useful if we had 3.0.x in the list under 'Convert' tab that shows in the confirmation screen when finished installing 3.1. This way, I can quickly restore my old database 3.0.x db when I am starting 3.1 with a new installation.

Aristocles

Post by Aristocles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:55 pm

Hello:

I have always had these version 'updates' handled by the style creator. he has informed that the architecture has changed:

"In a few days a new version of phpbb will come out, and they changed the architecture of many phpbb. Unfortunately I have [no] more time and I could not redo all styles."

I am thinking that this means that if I 'update' that my style will require changes that he no longer has time for. Does this mean that as long as I keep the status quo that all things will continue to run smoothly?

And, since I simply lack the requisite skills and/or motivation to change things . . . it looks dreary for the future? Maybe I am missing something.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:03 pm

The update from 3.0 to 3.1 will not keep any of the old files, except for the config.php and /images, /store and /files folders so you would lose any styles you currently have. They would need to be rewritten.

As has been mentioned before, support for 3.0 is likely to continue for around 12 months after 3.1 comes out so there is no rush to change and plenty of time for new styles to be made or found that suit what you want. After that time you're entitled to carry on using 3.0 if you want but we won't support any issues with it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Aristocles

Post by Aristocles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 pm

KevC wrote:The update from 3.0 to 3.1 will not keep any of the old files, except for the config.php and /images, /store and /files folders so you would lose any styles you currently have. They would need to be rewritten.

As has been mentioned before, support for 3.0 is likely to continue for around 12 months after 3.1 comes out so there is no rush to change and plenty of time for new styles to be made or found that suit what you want. After that time you're entitled to carry on using 3.0 if you want but we won't support any issues with it.
Thank you for a timely response. I suppose it will be over for me and phpbb, sadly. Perhaps I can figure out how to update it on my own, and then get new styles, but will lose all of my 'customization'. Sad on many levels; not the least of which is my own inertia. I simply reckon that I am too old to learn new things.

I am obliged for the explanation.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:20 pm

What ever forum platform you go to, it's not usual to be able to keep physical parts of it when a new version comes out.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:22 pm

you can keep using 3.0 for as long as you wish. the only problem is that after a certain amount of time, the official support for it will end. just like after several years, the official support for windows xp ended just recently or is about to.

phpbb2 support ended after phpbb3 came out. it took a long time before they officially stopped supporting it.

phpbb3 will not look very different.

if and when you get ready to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 it will be a fairly simple process.

at that time, you can choose from a new selection of styles that will be available. ( there are several already being worked on ).

If you have made custom changes to the style you are using you might have to redo them to the new style.

If you are talking about MODs that you have installed to phpbb then none of them will work on the new version. However, just like the styles, new "extensions" ( same as MODs except that no code changes will be needed ) are being developed as well.

so, it is not going to be as big of a problem as you think.

don't give up just yet.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Aristocles

Post by Aristocles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you can keep using 3.0 for as long as you wish. the only problem is that after a certain amount of time, the official support for it will end. just like after several years, the official support for windows xp ended just recently or is about to.

phpbb2 support ended after phpbb3 came out. it took a long time before they officially stopped supporting it.

phpbb3 will not look very different.

if and when you get ready to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 it will be a fairly simple process.

at that time, you can choose from a new selection of styles that will be available. ( there are several already being worked on ).

If you have made custom changes to the style you are using you might have to redo them to the new style.

If you are talking about MODs that you have installed to phpbb then none of them will work on the new version. However, just like the styles, new "extensions" ( same as MODs except that no code changes will be needed ) are being developed as well.

so, it is not going to be as big of a problem as you think.

don't give up just yet.

robert
Detailed responses, thank you. Here is my forum as it looks now:

http://www.wedealinlead.net/forum/index.php

I did none of it, Patrice in France, did it all. I understand little to nothing about "writing" or "re-writing", one of my sons might know enough to mess it up. :) I hope I am overreacting but without help at the point it becomes "unsupported", I will be. . . perhaps I will simply ride 3.0 until she goes down?

A shitty day just got darker. 8-)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Blimey black text on a dark brown background. I'm amazed you can read any of the forum titles.

If you wanted to keep it looking like that you have at least 12 months to find someone to code a new style for you. It's largely just images and css colours though.
Cheap UK Hosting

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:43 pm

I don't see any MODs installed but there could be some.

however, that style is so dark and much of the text is black on the dark background and you can't see it at all.
I would consider changing styles now or at least get someone to make some changes to it so it is legible.
'
anyway,

if and when you get ready to upgrade to 3.1 I am sure there will be a style that is similar to this one available.

when the time comes you can probably get whoever is taking care of it now to do it for you or just read that follow the simple instructions to do it yourself.

I am 63 and I can figure it out so I think you may be selling yourself short on your ability to learn this.

luck,
robert

Aristocles

Post by Aristocles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I am 48 and have neither the desire nor the motivation, anymore, to do it. I will be forced to find someone else, if such a thing is possible. Color me LAZY or incompetent, I guess. My guy is no longer going to do it.

That is the default style because I LIKE IT. There are others, sans even an identifying header; they are much more pleasingly contrasted.

Telling me it has a simple makeup is akin to telling me that Koine Greek is a plausible linguistic format for modernity. Sorry to be so ignorant. . . perhaps lazy is more apropos, as typed above?

The only "mod"s I am aware of are the img resizer and "simple news" , along with the tapatalk stuff.

You see how ignorant I am of this? I lack even the rudimentary vernacular.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:08 pm

Dont worry too much about 3.1. If you are happy with the current set up, just continue using it for awhile more (even couple of years.. upto you). When you are ready to do a makeover, just hire one of the style authors and get a custom job done. It should not be hard to find someone to style your board. There are plenty of style authors here itself that you can PM and get a quote or have a look at themeforest. Good luck!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:09 pm

well, if you have no desire to worry about it, that is certainly your business. there are those of us around that will be available to do it for you when it is time.

check the signatures of different members here to find someone to help you when you are ready.

luck,
roibert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”