Prevent staff from editing root admin's posts?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
akalatheory
Name: Diana Waldow

Prevent staff from editing root admin's posts?

Post by akalatheory » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm

So just curious, is there a way to prevent other admins or mods from editing or deleting the root admin's posts? Or is there some mod or something I'd need that someone is aware of?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Prevent staff from editing root admin's posts?

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:01 pm

Why would you need 'anything' for that? Just make sure that everyone on your staff understands that you don't edit each other posts (just pm the other mod when something needs to be rectified). If you're a moderator and can't follow such simple guideline you clearly don't deserve that right in the first place ;)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

akalatheory

Post by akalatheory » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 pm

I wasn't aware my question would be judged so harshly, and especially by someone whose rank says they were a former team member for phpBB. Because I would like the option, is that ok? Or is that wrong? If it's wrong, I can always switch to another forum system that has that function and stop supporting phpBB. I've been a loyal fan and supporter of phpBB for a long time, and to be questioned as to why I would need something like that, I have to say I'm very deeply offended.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:27 pm

A user with moderator permission to edit posts, can edit anyone's posts. You would need a mod if you want to change that.

akalatheory

Post by akalatheory » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Brf wrote:A user with moderator permission to edit posts, can edit anyone's posts. You would need a mod if you want to change that.
Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate your response. I just hope that when I go and post the mod request, I don't run into the same judgmental issue with your other teammates as I did just a bit ago above :/

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

I have seen such mod requests posted already. Did you try to search?

akalatheory

Post by akalatheory » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I was actually just reading the stickied thread first and was going to search afterward before posting anything (:

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:56 am

akalatheory wrote:I wasn't aware my question would be judged so harshly, and especially by someone whose rank says they were a former team member for phpBB. Because I would like the option, is that ok? Or is that wrong? If it's wrong, I can always switch to another forum system that has that function and stop supporting phpBB. I've been a loyal fan and supporter of phpBB for a long time, and to be questioned as to why I would need something like that, I have to say I'm very deeply offended.
That's a bit thin-skinned. I don't think that Erik was either "judging" or "harsh". He was simply asking why setting a policy stating that staff shouldn't edit other staff members' posts wouldn't be sufficient. He was further stating that if you can't trust your staff to follow the rules, you shouldn't make them staff in the first place. How is that judgmental or harsh?

The point is that MODs, especially in phpBB 3.0, can cause problems with updates, so if you can avoid adding a MOD to your system, you should. I've seen people say that they won't upgrade to phpBB 3.1 because they have so many MODs on their boards (one person that I know of claims over 100!).

Steve

P.S. There is also no such thing as a "root admin". Do you mean a Founder or somebody with access to the site's files beyond the ACP? (For most boards, they're probably the same thing, but they don't have to be.)
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:05 am

not sure about editing posts, but only another founder can do things like delete a founder account. regular admins can not.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:42 am

I think there's a mod in the database that prevents moderators from editing admins' posts. I'm trying to look for it now and will post the link if I find it

EDIT: I found this: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=867235#p4969125
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:06 pm

Am I too late to the party to suggest this?
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... edit_post/
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Return to “phpBB Discussion”