[Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
BioLogIn

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Post by BioLogIn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

Many thanks to the devs and to entire phpbb team =)

sysz
Name: Kimmy Lindell Ekström

Post by sysz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Can't wait until my host upgrade php from 5.3.2 to version 5.6 in November so that i can try this phpbb 3.1 for my self :D

Congratulations and thanks to all you guys and girls who contributed to this release!
Currently working on the community

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm

OMG a date! :o We have a date! No more 'it'll be ready when its ready...'!!

Great work everyone and thanks ;)

LavIgor

Post by LavIgor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Congratulations to the phpBB team!
Thank you for your work!

Cable Player

Post by Cable Player » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 pm

I'm really looking forward to this! I won't be updating straight away due to the MODs I have installed on my board, but I'll be installing a test board so I can play around with the new update!

arod-1

Post by arod-1 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:11 pm

congratulations.

i also liked very much the new "launch" page - https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch

one small nitpick: i think the "Over 1k bug fixes, 1.5k improvements & 11k commits." on top of the image emphasizes the wrong thing. counting the # of bug fixes, or the number of commits is just backward.

if you think emphasizing changes to the code is a good thing, i'd rather see something like "45K lines of code deleted" or something.

another code-related change that i would not mind emphasizing is the change in direction, represented by heavy reliance on 3rd party open-source packages - symphony, composer, twig, jquery, etc.
(this is a very welcome change of direction for phpbb - in the past, similar suggestions, e.g. to replace the in-house templating system with 3rd party systems such as "smarty", which uses almost-but-not-quite identical syntax, were rejected by the then-developers offhand. i like the current dev-team attitude much better).

again, this is just nitpicking - the main thing here is - congratulations!
i believe that despite the seemingly "minor" upgrade represented by the change from 3.0 to 3.1, this is a quantum leap for phpbb, easily as significant as the upgrade from 2.0.x to 3.0.

as a side, in the annals of personal computer software history, "version 3.1" is almost magical - so much so, that micro$oft, when releasing Windows NT, marked the very first released version as "Windows NT 3.1" instead of 1.0, hoping that some of the magic will stick. it didn't, but i have a feeling that it definitely will for phpbb.

peace.

peace.

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Huge congrats to everyone on finally getting 3.1 out the door, what a journey it's been for you all (and I guess the community too). Great stuff :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

aduh
Name: Hans'

Post by aduh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 pm

good job !

cprgolds

Post by cprgolds » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:13 pm

To everyone who worked on Ascraeus: This is super news. Thanks for all the effort and teamwork.

I have been testing since RC1 and it has gotten better and better.

The real work begins now for getting all the functionality of former mods and the desired look and feel from styles.

noth

Post by noth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:33 pm

arod-1 wrote:congratulations.

i also liked very much the new "launch" page - https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch
yeah I saw that this morning, thought that is a great page too, awesome!! :D

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

noth wrote:
arod-1 wrote:congratulations.

yeah I saw that this morning, thought that is a great page too, awesome!! :D
We just added a little extra something to the launch page, we hope you like it. ;)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

technogeek12

Post by technogeek12 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm

Might look like a stupid question, but how can I upgrade to PHPBB 3.1?
I've got a Heavily Modded PHPBB 3.0.12 Forum. Most of the Modifications were made by myself and not from the PHPBB Repository. I simply don't have time to work on porting all my modifications manually to PHPBB 3.1
So here's the question. How can I upgrade a Heavily Modded forum to PHPBB 3.1? I can't do a re-install. And the Modifications must Still work well after the upgrade.
I've got a huge userbase and can't risk the forum modifications from disappearing or users will abandon my fourm.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:22 am

technogeek12 wrote:Might look like a stupid question, but how can I upgrade to PHPBB 3.1?
I've got a Heavily Modded PHPBB 3.0.12 Forum. Most of the Modifications were made by myself and not from the PHPBB Repository. I simply don't have time to work on porting all my modifications manually to PHPBB 3.1
So here's the question. How can I upgrade a Heavily Modded forum to PHPBB 3.1? I can't do a re-install. And the Modifications must Still work well after the upgrade.
I've got a huge userbase and can't risk the forum modifications from disappearing or users will abandon my fourm.
None of your modifications will work as it will be a whole new code set.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

technogeek12

Post by technogeek12 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 am

DavidIQ wrote:
technogeek12 wrote:Might look like a stupid question, but how can I upgrade to PHPBB 3.1?
None of your modifications will work as it will be a whole new code set.
Thanks for the info. :roll:

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 am

Has the security audit been done against phpBB 3.1? The launch page says that you "hired a professional security company to audit the entire phpBB 3.1 codebase", but doesn't say whether the audit was completed.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”