[Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
ServA1

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Post by ServA1 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Congrats on the release guys, i'm looking forward to installing it next week... in regards to the 'bridges' being discussed here, a wordpress/phpbb bridge would be awesome.
Super fast USA based website hosting available with a bunch of useful stuff ready to go (ffmpeg, imagemagick, nginx etc), message me if you are interested.

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 am

DionDesigns wrote:
arod-1 wrote:o answer the question literally - 100% of mods' functionality *can* be implemented with extension.
I call bullshit on this. Every current bridge between phpBB 3.0 and WordPress/Joomla (maybe Drupal too, but who cares about Drupal these days) is impossible to port to 3.1 without core edits. Why? Several reasons, but most importantly, there are conflicts between function names. Bridges must change some function names in phpBB in order to load phpBB and WordPress simultaneously. That's impossible with a plugin/extension.

Every person currently using a bridge between phpBB and WordPress/Joomla will be forced to choose between a bridged site and phpBB 3.1. I suspect that in almost every case, phpBB 3.1 will not be what is chosen.
I can't talk about wordpress or Drupal since I don't know but since you mentioned joomla (which I have experience with) can you tell me which bridge you are referring to when you said the bridge can't work without edits to core? I am not sure if your statement was right (as far as joomla is concerned) and I would like to clarify.. :)

noth

Post by noth » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 am

I think we need just a topic on bridges surely

this topic is "phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us"

zpintar
Name: Žarko Pintar

Post by zpintar » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 am

noth wrote:I think we need just a topic on bridges surely

this topic is "phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us"
I've just opened topic for bridge discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2268186

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Count me among those thankful to the phpBB team for this upcoming release. I've been preparing for the upgrade since the first release candidates started to appear. So far our testing has gone very well and we're looking forward to updating a number of forums to this new release. I've got a follow on question to "Check out our 3.1 Feature Highlights page which showcases some of the things we're most excited about."

Have I missed the link(s) to where can an administrator find more detailed information/documentation about the features/changes/improvements that impact both administrators and end users?

For example, are there any administrative changes required or recommended as part of the 3.0.12 to 3.1 upgrade process? I'm thinking there must be changes required to enable or configure new features such the Contact page, Gravatar Support, and OAuth Login.

There also seem to be a number of features/enhancements listed in Posts Tagged ‘ascraeus’ | Blog that are not mentioned, such as enhanced timezone support, command line interface support to name a couple. I've also scanned Category:Release Highlights - phpBB Development Wiki, which adds more to the list of features/enhancements in phpBB 3.1 that an administrator needs to know about.

My goal is to ensure a smooth transition to phpBB 3.1 and to be able to answer my forum members questions about what is changing and what they can expect from the new features.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Mark011

Post by Mark011 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:43 am

Good work, thanks. :)

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Well done, everyone! :)
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

tunescool
I've Been Banned!

Post by tunescool » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:35 am

where do i post a bug

in the quick links i dont get a new posts image when theres new posts for Your Posts. i use a mac and the latest firefox. but notifications works

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:50 am

tunescool wrote:where do i post a bug

in the quick links i dont get a new posts image when theres new posts for Your Posts. i use a mac and the latest firefox. but notifications works
It isn't supposed to change
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:42 am

1 more day to go..... Been eagerly waiting for Tuesday since last week. :D

FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 am

Really good job. Waiting for tomorrow. Thanks :wink:
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 am

When 3.1.x needs updating in the future, will it check and merge files like 3.0.x does in case people have made small core file changes? I know that's not recommended but a lot of people probably will still do it for small tweaks. Or will it simply replace old files with new ones?
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:16 am

As you aren't supposed to change the core code I would wager that it will simply overwrite them.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:26 pm

RMcGirr83 wrote:As you aren't supposed to change the core code I would wager that it will simply overwrite them.
I certainly hope that's not the case....I don't know why you're "not supposed to change the core code"...they don't really hurt, like changing the fonts for example...

I doubt the files were be overwritten - I personally think it'll be checked and merged like 3.0.x. But I may be wrong about that...
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Just as in 3.0, there will still be an update package that will merge code changes with the upgraded-to version.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”