[Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 Ascraeus is upon us

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 am

MichaelC wrote: We just added a little extra something to the launch page, we hope you like it. ;)
If you mean the countdown timer, that's nice.

But how about some love on the launch page for Web site integration?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 am

Pony99CA wrote:Has the security audit been done against phpBB 3.1? The launch page says that you "hired a professional security company to audit the entire phpBB 3.1 codebase", but doesn't say whether the audit was completed.

Steve
I would like to know as well :)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:03 am

I am looking forward to this release. I nearly switched to Xenforo this year because I was fed up being "left behind" (I've been using phpBB for over 13 years now) so that says something. This was long overdue but I think it will totally be worth it.

Being such a major overhaul, I'm surprised it's not phpBB 4.0

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:43 am

Pony99CA wrote:Has the security audit been done against phpBB 3.1? The launch page says that you "hired a professional security company to audit the entire phpBB 3.1 codebase", but doesn't say whether the audit was completed.

Steve
I did not mean to leave that ambiguous. The audit was completed at the end of September and nothing major was found.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

pennino

Post by pennino » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 am

First of all: CONGRATS FOR THIS INCOMING RELEASE!!

May I ask you some suggestion? I think an answer would be useful for all the other users that are running one or more phpBB 3.0.12 boards...

When (October, 28) phpBB 3.1 will be released, phpBB 3.0.12 users have to immediately upgrade to v3.1 or it would be possible to wait days or weeks before upgrading?
We are running a quite famous phpBB 3.0.12 board. Upgrading to 3.1 in a few days would be impossible for us.

There are no security issues in phpBB 3.0.12, isn'it? So it would be safe to continue to use that version while locally testing v3.1?
Will phpBB 3.0.12 be upgraded (security and critical updates if needed) or it will be retired after version 3.1 of phpBB will be published?

Many thanks in advance!

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 am

pennino wrote:When (October, 28) phpBB 3.1 will be released, phpBB 3.0.12 users have to immediately upgrade to v3.1 or it would be possible to wait days or weeks before upgrading?
We are running a quite famous phpBB 3.0.12 board. Upgrading to 3.1 in a few days would be impossible for us.
No it has been stated in a lot of places already, that 3.0 will be supported for quite some months aswell
pennino wrote:There are no security issues in phpBB 3.0.12, isn'it? So it would be safe to continue to use that version while locally testing v3.1?
Will phpBB 3.0.12 be upgraded (security and critical updates if needed) or it will be retired after version 3.1 of phpBB will be published?
Nothing is known to us, and if something comes up in the next months we will of course fix it. we also have a potential 3.0.13 build up, whether and when this is going to be released, I don't know.
No Support via PM

pennino

Post by pennino » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 am

Fantastic, nickvergessen!!!

I think it would be nice to remark this aspect.

Thank you very very much for your kindness and congratulations for the way you are working...!

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Good job guys. Glad to see this getting to a release!
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 pm

I have not followed phpBB development for years. Are extensions going to completely replace MODs? What percentage of MODs out there could be turned into an extension? How do extensions impact site performance?
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

arod-1

Post by arod-1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

BondGamer wrote:I have not followed phpBB development for years. Are extensions going to completely replace MODs? What percentage of MODs out there could be turned into an extension? How do extensions impact site performance?
i'll pick this one up:
# Are extensions going to completely replace MODs?

yes. of course, being open-source/GPL project, there's nothing stopping you from modifying the core-code yourself, but IMO this will be a mistake, and nobody should do it, short of a full fork: doing so will make it much harder to upgrade: with the new scheme, no "upgrade" scripts are expected to be published, and i expect future upgrades to consist of 2 simple steps: total replacement of core code with new version, plus run-once script to upgrade the database, where applicable. if you modify the core code yourself, you will have to deal with integrating your changes into any new version yourself.

# What percentage of MODs out there could be turned into an extension?

to answer the question literally - 100% of mods' functionality *can* be implemented with extension. to quote Jeffrey Case (godfather of SNMP):
Jeffrey D. Case wrote: Back on the farm, we have a saying:

``Sure, almost anything is possible. You can even teach a goldfish to play the piano, if you use enough voltage.''
maybe more appropriate question will be "how many of the existing mods *will** be available as extensions. my guess is, probably less than 20%. many of the existing mods are just unnecessary in the first place, and some of them provide functionality that is either in-built or just not needed with 3.1. many mods provide "duplicate" functionality - i predict less of this for extensions, at least for some time.
however, i do predict that pretty quickly the vast majority of the useful and important mods that people actually want and need, will be available (or rather, the functionality will be available) through extensions.

# How do extensions impact site performance?
same as mods: good extensions will have zero or negligible effect on performance (i doubt there will be performance-enhancing extensions), and crappy extensions will have horrible effect on performance.

peace.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 pm

arod-1 wrote:
BondGamer wrote:I have not followed phpBB development for years. Are extensions going to completely replace MODs? What percentage of MODs out there could be turned into an extension? How do extensions impact site performance?
i'll pick this one up:
# Are extensions going to completely replace MODs?

yes. of course...
To add to this: we will not be accepting MODs for 3.1 whatsoever. Whatever customisation it is that is wanted to be released will need to be an extension. If an extension behaves like a MOD (i.e. edits core code) it will not be accepted into the CDB.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

FranckTH
Name: Franck

Post by FranckTH » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:51 pm

good evening,

Honestly, the announcement of the new version of phpBB made ​​me very happy ... but at the moment given the lack of compatible mods, all the difficulties to perform the update, I think sincerely stay a year or two under phpbb 3.0.12 ...

For IT, it will be easy to update their respective forum ... but you probably forget the thousands or millions of forums created by users with no knowledge in php and computer.

I expected to see the tutorials and the aid provided by the community.

kind regards
Free Flash & HTML5 Games for Phpbb 3.2.2 + Extension Relax Arcade Pro
Free Flash & HTML5 Games for Relax Arcade Pro

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 pm

upgrading is not going to be any more difficult than any of the updates have been.

remember, no MODs will work in 3.1. therefore, in my opinion, the best way to upgrade is to simply replace the files with new ones and update the database. then , if there are extensions available for what you want, install those and you are done.

you don't need to know any code or php or even html to do any of this.

just like always, you do need to understand how to work with your hosting account. how to use ftp, how to create and maintain a database on your hosting account etc. phpbb is not windows. If you are going to use it you usually need to learn a bit about running a basic website or find someone to do it for you.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

FranckTH
Name: Franck

Post by FranckTH » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:58 pm

90% of mods installed on my forum are not compatible, knowing that if I wait on the response of these coders to make it compatible mods, sometimes obsolete or exotic, I'd be dead in 2035 lol

But I wait to see ...
Free Flash & HTML5 Games for Phpbb 3.2.2 + Extension Relax Arcade Pro
Free Flash & HTML5 Games for Relax Arcade Pro

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 pm

here is an idea.... install a completely separate 3.1 board on your server. play with it,
see how many, if any, of the MODs you have will be needed on the new board. often a situation like this lets you know that many of the MODs you have installed are either not being used, don't work, or are not needed any longer etc.

as you say, it will be sometime before there are very many extensions available so that gives you plenty of time to evaluate 3.1 and see exactly what you do need.

I do not suggest that anyone needs to upgrade just yet. heck the version is not even going to be released until next week and then there will be plenty of bugs to work out I am sure.

nobody is rushing you are telling anyone that they have to upgrade any time soon.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”