Best avatar settings?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
CreativeUsername

Best avatar settings?

Post by CreativeUsername »

Hello everyone I'm fairly new to phpbb and I'm really enjoying it so far, however when I went to upload a .gif as my avatar I ran into a error, "File size to large" bla bla bla basically the file size was 70kb so I set my max upload size to 100kb and 300x300 so that no other users should have that problem.

However now that I think about it if I have 200, 300, 400, ect people with 70-100kb photos will this cause a problem? Or is 100kb normal? Does anyone have reasonable avatar settings to allow most .gifs ? Thanks everyone

Cryo
Name: Chris

Re: Best avatar settings?

Post by Cryo »

I like the 120x120 rule here. Big enough you can actually make out what it is you are seeing but small enough it isn't going to throw off the page size. My file size between 10Kb and 12Kb

If you use avatars this means that when somebody browses a topic in a forum on your board, the avatar images also have to be loaded. This may increase the page loading time, although your board has to be really big for this to be of some concern. so you have to decide what's best for your board and users. What you can do, however, after you enable the use of avatars, is to change the dimensions and maximum size of avatars that people can upload.

If this is of concern to you and you have many users, you can reduce the maximum avatar file size.

(also depends on your hosting package)
Last edited by Cryo on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

CreativeUsername

Cryo wrote:I like the 120x120 rule here. Big enough you can actually make out what it is you are seeing but small enough it isn't going to throw off the page size.

If you use avatars this means that when somebody browses a topic in a forum on your board, the avatar images also have to be loaded. This may increase the page loading time, although your board has to be really big for this to be of some concern. so you have to decide what's best for your board and users. What you can do, however, after you enable the use of avatars, is to change the dimensions and maximum size of avatars that people can upload.

If this is of concern to you and you have many users, you can reduce the maximum avatar file size.

(also depends on your hosting package)
Thanks man, I was worried that after 50 people sign up my forum would crash or something but I think for now 200x200 100kb is good until it grows more. Thanks again man.

Cryo

Post by Cryo »

CreativeUsername 100 kb may be a bit large ;)

CreativeUsername

Cryo wrote:CreativeUsername 100 kb may be a bit large ;)

Oh my bad I didn't see you post your max size, How would i allow users to use .GIF files then? Most .gifs 100x100 are like 50-300kb

If you just google "Free forum gifs 99% of them will be over 12kb?

Thanks again for your help

Cryo

Post by Cryo »

for example there's lot's of them here.
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styles/avatars-14
and more using google. but you can change size limit to meet your forum needs.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Settings on my site are for unlimited dimensions, but file size is limited to 2 MB. I resize the avatar for display down to 100x100 px if larger. I figure I ought as well make it easy as possible for people to upload avatars.

A lot of these avatar and upload restrictions are really old fashioned, designed for sites and servers of 10 years ago. There's really no reason to put such stingy dimension or file size restrictions for the uploaded file, because you can easily use GD or ImageMagick to resize the image on your server.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Cryo

Post by Cryo »

that's a very good point Dog Cow 10 years ago did make a big difference in sizes.

hmm
Name: Internet User 3768

Post by hmm »

Raising the dead:

If I change the max avatar size and dimensions, how will this a/effect the current members avatars?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

It won't.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

hmm
Name: Internet User 3768

Post by hmm »

thank you...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”