New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:11 am

New users on my board do not get email notifications for private messages by default. They have to manually enable this option in their UCP. I have not made any changes to the functions_user.php:

includes/functions_user.php
'user_notify_pm' => 1,
'user_notify_type' => NOTIFY_EMAIL,
'user_allow_pm' => 1,

These are the values for respective columns for a new user in the phpbb_users table (they are the same as for old users who do get email notifications):
'user_notify_pm' = 1
'user_notify_type' = 0
'user_allow_pm' = 1

Please help me locate the problem. Running phpBB 3.1.1, prosilver.

Two users aslo reported that they could not send private messages to other users but I could not replicate this problem.

User avatar
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Posts: 23162
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Australia
Name: Bill

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by Oyabun1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:31 am

parshakov wrote:New users on my board do not get email notifications for private messages by default.
That is the standard setting. They will get a board notification, but not email unless they select that.
parshakov wrote:Two users aslo reported that they could not send private messages to other users but I could not replicate this problem.
They are probably in the Newly Registered Users group which has the permission to send PMs disabled.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:19 pm

How can I make PMs enabled by default for new users?

User avatar
P_I
Registered User
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 pm
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by P_I » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:24 pm

IIRC, New Registered Users group has PM set to disable to prevent spammers from spamming via PM while they are waiting for first post approval.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

User avatar
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Posts: 23162
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:05 pm
Location: Australia
Name: Bill

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

parshakov wrote:How can I make PMs enabled by default for new users?
ACP > PERMISSIONS > Global Permissions > Group permissions > Newly Registered Users > Advanced permissions > Private messages > Can send private messages = No
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Oh, I'm sorry, I wanted to ask how to make email notifications for PM as a default setting?

Thank you for the quick reply!

parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Oyabun1 wrote:
parshakov wrote:New users on my board do not get email notifications for private messages by default.
That is the standard setting. They will get a board notification, but not email unless they select that.
I don't want to ask all new users to go to their CP and change this setting manually as soon as they log in. Please help me make email notifications the default setting for PM!

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50812
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by stevemaury » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:11 pm

For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:18 pm

stevemaury wrote:This should still work in 3.1 - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... nd-values/
Unfortunately, it didn't work in my case (see the first post) :-(

ZemSharp
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:15 am

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by ZemSharp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Hi there,

I was facing the same issue but I solved it so I come back to give the answer :D :

Open functions_user.php
Locate the lines :

Code: Select all

	// Use default notifications settings if notifications_data is not set
	if ($notifications_data === null)
	{
		$notifications_data = array(
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.post',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.topic',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
		);
	}
Replace with :

Code: Select all

	// Use default notifications settings if notifications_data is not set
	if ($notifications_data === null)
	{
		$notifications_data = array(
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.post',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.topic',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array( // Enable "Email notification on new private messages" by default.
				'item_type' => 'notification.type.pm',
				'method' 	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
		);
	}
Enjoy your default email notifications ;)
Last edited by ZemSharp on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parshakov
Registered User
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by parshakov » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Thank a lot, ZemSharp! Good job!

ZemSharp
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:15 am

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by ZemSharp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 pm

With pleasure 8-)

Enterfrize
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 am

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by Enterfrize » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:54 pm

I tried what was listed below, and it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Would this change only impact brand new users who are registering for the very first time, or would existing users be impacted as well?

I wish there was an easier way to do this; it seems like an obvious default setting to have.

Regards,
Enterfrize

ZemSharp wrote:Hi there,

I was facing the same issue but I solved it so I come back to give the answer :D :

Open functions_user.php
Locate the lines :

Code: Select all

	// Use default notifications settings if notifications_data is not set
	if ($notifications_data === null)
	{
		$notifications_data = array(
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.post',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.topic',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
		);
	}
Replace with :

Code: Select all

	// Use default notifications settings if notifications_data is not set
	if ($notifications_data === null)
	{
		$notifications_data = array(
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.post',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array(
				'item_type'	=> 'notification.type.topic',
				'method'	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
			array( // Enable "Email notification on new private messages" by default.
				'item_type' => 'notification.type.pm',
				'method' 	=> 'notification.method.email',
			),
		);
	}
Enjoy your default email notifications ;)

richey
Registered User
Posts: 614
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:26 pm
Location: now@Cyberspace
Contact:

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by richey » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:46 pm

I have the same issue since upgrading to phpbb 3 - for what I've read on the forums, this is a very common problem of people who upgraded their boards from phpbb 2.

Very annoying, I couldn't find out how to activate email notifications for new posts or new PM's since over a year now!!
.

papaformigas
Registered User
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:44 am

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by papaformigas » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi, I am having the same issue... people send pm and users dont get email notifications.. I have tried the method described above but no notification received by email after pm sent...


From ACP cant find a solution or option to enable email notification to user after a pm is sent to that user.

Any thoughts about this issue??

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”