New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Ibedejo

Re: New users don't get email notifications for private messages by default

Post by Ibedejo »

Being provided with either an integrated configuration option (= in the core) that allows switching between default opt-in/opt-out or a corresponding extension (maybe an official one?) - this is something I could agree on, because it, IMHO, really makes sense in this case and could be beneficial to all. It provides additional options covering an, obviously, existing demand without annoying those who do not need nor want such a gimmick by taking away their chance to decide for themselves.

Personal sidenote:

As far as statements like
sookie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:38 pm Its 2017 people. People WANT to be notified.
are concerned, most importantly since this seems to be the kind of "style" of discussion and arguing that has become more widespread and common during the last few years: :shock:
"People" in this case (and in many others ...) doesn't include neither me nor my users for example, so please stop using "arguments" like this.
It definitly doesn't help carrying your case.

True, this is what YOU want, but this is nothing that folks like me or my users want - for them this would be more than annoying ... and consequently wipe my board.
Whether those users or admins are in the overall majority or not may be questionable but is completely irrelevant the moment a decission (any decision!) has a binding effect for all. In order to use your ductus: Point.
(If I should really need to explain why, well ... wouldn't that proove my case even further? ;) )

Flexibility (and in a good part usability as well), again: IMHO, is a case of providing the ability to choose between options.
There still are many of us who see things the same way Mick does - including me and my users.
The way you see things and argue may be right in your own perspective - but you not only don't cover us: the way you actually do it could be seen as offensive by those who disagree with your personal point of view. You exclude us from being relevant enough to waste any thoughts on our interests ...

When reading post (or "arguments") like yours I may allow myself to have doubts that those to come up in this style can really see (or do at least want to see ...) the whole picture and/or more than their own side only ...
(btw: this would be "it's 2017" style as well - thanks to FB etc. ...)

If communication and discussion using real arguments while taking into consideration the interests/points of view of all those effected is no longer considered "to be 2017" ... well, than I'm oldfashioned.
So what! :mrgreen:
sookie

Post by sookie »

A BILLION+ facebook users PROVE BEYOND ANY DOUBT, that people want to be notified.

You are indeed old fashioned, dated, and a dinosaur in internet time. If you want to go extinct, thats your right, go right ahead, and dont notify by default. Everyone else is eating your lunch.

But the fact is, you simply cannot put up numbers like a BILLION USERS, like facebook. Its not only facebook. Every modern phone app ive installed includes some kind of built in notification mechanism, every single one.

People expect this now in 2017. You want to stay stuck in 1999, thats fine but dont drag everyone else down into the extinction hole with you.

If phpBB was really smart, they would catch up a decade and have notifications turned on by default, and then allow users to turn them off.

The entire internet/industry is on my side. Its a proven method. The numbers are huuuuuge. Please phpBB, stop shooting yourself in the foot.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

To add into this...

I believe there should be an option for the contents of the pm to be included in the email notification.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Bullseye!

Post by Bullseye! »

Thankyou for the replies everyone, another factor is I run a dog forum & someone asked an important health related question in a PM & they didn't know when I replied to it, luckily I had their phone number so I sent them a text to get them to read my reply & the dog lived as a result of what I sent them, like I've said several times in this thread, users can't be expected to know to turn notifications on because as others in this thread have stated all other online services have them turned on by default.

~John~
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

For as far as I'm aware, PM e-mail notifications are enabled by default in all phpBB installs.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
cally6008

Post by cally6008 »

Pm notifications are not switched on by default for new users

Here is the solution -
Makes PM email notification box ticked by default
Link = viewtopic.php?f=466&p=14321391#p14321391
Tin Soldier

Post by Tin Soldier »

cally6008 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:34 pm Pm notifications are not switched on by default for new users

Here is the solution -
Makes PM email notification box ticked by default
Link = viewtopic.php?f=466&p=14321391#p14321391
That's far more heavy-going than editing the odd style or css. Can someone walk me through this, or is there another option?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

You add the provided code to the file in the place indicated. Like editing anything else.

As for the SQL query - Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”