When will phpBB have a Great Visual Upgrade?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
oisilener1982

When will phpBB have a Great Visual Upgrade?

Post by oisilener1982 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:56 am

It is almost 2015 now and I think that phpBB is already outdated in terms of Visual looks

I am currently using phpBB and I love it. There is only 1 thing that I envy the most for IPB and that is the beautiful looks

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: When will phpBB have a Great Visual Upgrade?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 am

you know the old saying.... "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I have not see IPB in a while but the last time I looked they were not any better or worse than phpbb. same holds true for vbulletin and all the rest.
they all have different styles/themes available. If you do not like one, choose another.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:50 am

oisilener1982 wrote:I am currently using phpBB and I love it
Surprisingly with people inner values mostly count more than outer beauty. But in contrast to the beloved other half you're free to make your own style on phpBB (or outsource it to some professional).

From my point of view software beauty is efficiency: if the design wastes space (i.e. fixed width) or uses JS/pictures just for optical reasons or relies on third party technology (Flash, Google, Webkit...) then it's ugly to me. Which sadly applies to phpbb.com aswell (fixed width instead of at least minimum width).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 am

We're working on it. But it will take time, since we're still in the early stages of development.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:56 pm

PayBas wrote:We're working on it. But it will take time, since we're still in the early stages of development.
yep, and when you get it done and come out with the next beautiful style, someone will complain and ask why you dont' make beautiful styles like ....... does or why are you so out of date.

I am amused when people say that prosilver is so out of date and give examples of something that looks like phpbb1 and/or phpbb2 as a more modern look. the current idea of "modern" styling is pretty much back to what it was in 2001 era.
:lol:

robert

RaythXC

Post by RaythXC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 pm

I personally never go with what I feel looks "modern" as such. If I like a style for phpbb i'll use it. The same goes when I'm looking through free HTML/CSS templates for making websites which I don't have linking directly into phpbb. (I'm not much of a designer so I can't make them on my own :( )

In regards to phpbb, I feel that while I don't like the default prosilver style, it does the job it is intended to do. Hence why there are many styles available.

noth

Post by noth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 pm

to put it in perspective ..... what exactly are the visual looks of Facebook or Twitter?

Neither of them HAVE a visual look, they just have a huge content

and a lot of people joining phpBB sites are there for the content mostly, just like they are on Facebook or Twitter.

Visual Looks are great, especially for your hardened members who will stay with you no matter what .

but that's not what the majority care about ;)

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:40 am

phpBB's design is a bit "old" and dated. I was expecting a nice refresh with the 3.1 major release, but it's more of the same. It's too blue out-of-the-box also. You want to see a sexy forum software, check out Xenforo. XF isn't perfect but the use of a lot of whitespace gives it a much cleaner look.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 am

I just spent some time looking at different xenforo styles. as I said above, many of them are like looking at phpbb 10 years ago. personally, I didn't like very many of them at all.
way too much white space in my opinion. the fonts are washed out against all the white backgrounds etc.

however, as I said, this is all very subjective. what I find beautiful, you may think sucks and vice versa

and, the great thing about phpbb is if you do not like the style make your own or find someone to do it for you.
that way you can have whatever you consider to be the most wonderful, up to date look possible and so can I and so can everyone else.

and it is all free.

robert

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:06 am

Opinions are like *** holes...Everybody's got one. :D So in my opinion, I think phpBB's prosilver is spot on as an out of the box base style. Only needs a few tweaks and it can look pretty individual! To me it's one of, if not, the best as far as definition/UI between sections. Lots of others look too messy in my eyes.

I think we probably become complacent with what we have via phpBB, I mean look at the index page... index.php Everything is defined nicely, the header, the navigation, the forum sections. Everything is in a great place as far as UI, maybe the odd personal preference but...

Edit: Just had a look at Xenforo, and as above, I'd describe it pretty much the same. Washed out and kinda boxy/old fashioned looking with wasted space. Looks worse than an old invisionfree board imo! :!:
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

arifur

Post by arifur » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:18 am

oisilener1982 wrote:It is almost 2015 now and I think that phpBB is already outdated in terms of Visual looks

I am currently using phpBB and I love it. There is only 1 thing that I envy the most for IPB and that is the beautiful looks
Well I have been using phpbb for the last 4 or 5 years. Back in the old days development cycle was very slow, installing mods was nightmare and updating your board after modifications was OMG. But in the last couple of years as soon as they moved to Github the development cycle sky rocketed. Finally we have Extensions, but most importantly now we have a solid platform to build on. The DEV teams are doing some awesome stuffs. I do not care about the looks as long it functions the way I want and conveniently without taking my whole day.

Designing a style is not that hard but making phpbb work the way it does now was a challenge. Just wait and see good things are on the way, let the DEV them finish their current tasks and may be phpbb will get a facelift soon.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:40 am

Swanny wrote:phpBB's design is a bit "old" and dated. I was expecting a nice refresh with the 3.1 major release, but it's more of the same. It's too blue out-of-the-box also.
See what others have said about the phpBB 3.1 style. However, I don't have any problem with the Xenforo style -- it doesn't look much better or much worse than here. I do like some of the pop-up items when you hover over links, but that's just eye candy.
Swanny wrote:You want to see a sexy forum software, check out Xenforo. XF isn't perfect but the use of a lot of whitespace gives it a much cleaner look.
Do you find the $140 price tag "sexy", too? :shock: Maybe you could offer one of the style developers $140 and get a Xenforo-like style, too.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:20 am

Pony99CA wrote:
Swanny wrote:You want to see a sexy forum software, check out Xenforo. XF isn't perfect but the use of a lot of whitespace gives it a much cleaner look.
Do you find the $140 price tag "sexy", too? :shock: Maybe you could offer one of the style developers $140 and get a Xenforo-like style, too.

Steve
Ya know I have seriously been considering hiring a designer lately to make some color/style tweaks. At least it would (likely) be a one-time payment, not recurring every year LOL. I like phpBB but I prefer the whitespace and many elements from XF, and earlier this year I was seriously considering switching to them. I really don't want to get locked into a private company, been there done that before.

Well to sum it up I guess I'd say I feel prosilver is dated and I'd like to see more use of whitespace and a lot less blue. It's just so blue out-of-the-box.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:52 am

you do realize that the xenforo default style is very blue?

if you want white space just edit the included prosilver style or look at some of the other ones that are in development. many of them and many others will be released soon so you should have a lot to choose from.

luck,
robert

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Technically they're not actually using white but a little less than white (#FCFCFF to be exact). :ugeek: Also it seems as if in many cases they're using blue where we're using white and "white" where we're using blue so to me it doesn't look like they're using any more or less blue than we do in the default style. In the end it's really just a style. If you don't like it then use a different style. I'm pretty sure Xenforo's default style isn't kept on most boards that are able to fork out the money for their license.

Having a more modern style doesn't make the underlying software any better though. I could make phpBB 1 "look" modern and keep all of the very old and outdated (even buggy?) internals untouched all while going with PHP 4. ;) Making any modifications to the core would make updating the core software a nightmare just like in 2.0 and 3.0.

Also if you want a GREAT visual upgrade then just add bacon!
phpBB + Bacon = AWESOME
phpBB + Bacon = AWESOME
phpBB_plus_BACON.png (706.56 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”