[Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by HiFiKabin »

advocatus wrote:[13:38] <@DavidIQ> yes...Bertie tripped over the power cord
[13:38] <@DavidIQ> it's back

:lol:
Nawty Nawty. You shouldn't leave power cords all over the floor Image
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

advocatus wrote:[13:38] <@DavidIQ> yes...Bertie tripped over the power cord
[13:38] <@DavidIQ> it's back
That's our Bertie Bear! :twisted:
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

DavidIQ wrote:
Rhet-or-Ric wrote:In reference to that, are we members going to be allowed to post our opinions here in this venue on the yeas or nays of the idea of those resources being allocated?
Anyone can express their opinions in a proper way. How a certain individual did so in this topic could be seen as the exact opposite. This does not mean that the decisions we make are going to be presented to the community for acceptance or rejection but you're certainly allowed to voice your opinions and suggestions.
Thank you for the quick response, David.

Now I'd like to ask anyone that is in the forum management position of handling such matters here whether we might want to start a new thread on this topic of whether a Net company, such as PHPBB Ltd, has certain responsibilities related to such matters like the timely notice of security breaches that is a breach such that the company does advise their members to change passwords ASAP.

Of course, the discussion would center on what is an appropriate method of notifying the members. And that stems from the community member here who first brought up the idea that that member felt PHPBB Ltd should have notified everyone by email, which we have since been informed was not able to be done because of limited resources.

So should this discussion I am asking for be put into its own thread?

EDIT: The member noted above is Alien_Time, just so I am clear about who first brought the subject up here.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

I am happy to address your question on the previous page Rhet-or-Ric, but in the new year.

I've got guests incoming so will be taking a break and rest, unless something truly blows up :lol:
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
advocatus

Post by advocatus »

You jinxed it. phpBB's server explodes in 3... 2... 1...
Hi, I'm advocatus and I own www.forumgames.in.
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

Marshalrusty wrote:I am happy to address your question on the previous page Rhet-or-Ric, but in the new year.

I've got guests incoming so will be taking a break and rest, unless something truly blows up :lol:
Oh for goodness sake, we sure ain't in no hurry on any of this. Good gosh, please have a fine holiday with friends and family. And that goes out to all you folks.

But I figured whether a new thread should be used might be addressed before this gets too busy. It being the holidays a lot of community folks here may have a tad more time to think about issues they ordinarily may not have the time to contemplate.

RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:That's our Bertie Bear! :twisted:
It was probably the damn budweiser mod you did in NY :P. That crap will ruin anything ;)
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

We've had a number of team members working throughout New Year's Eve to bring the blog and wiki back online. We are still working to bring remaining sites back online as soon as possible, so stay tuned to this topic and twitter for updates.

Happy new year. :)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

MichaelC wrote:We've had a number of team members working throughout New Year's Eve to bring the blog and wiki back online. We are still working to bring remaining sites back online as soon as possible, so stay tuned to this topic and twitter for updates.

Happy new year. :)
And tonight we're pleased to announce that our bug/issue tracker (https://tracker.phpbb.com) is also now back online. :)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
P_I

Post by P_I »

Michael et al.

Thank you and your team members for all the effort involved. I for one am very appreciative of the effort of the volunteers that make up the phpBB team.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

P_I, I would very much appreciate some assistance related to what you wrote about volunteers.

You see, I had believed up until about a week or so ago that this entire project fell under the heading of an NPO, but then I had to start some research on this and was very surprised to find that I was totally wrong.

I also do not know of any such entity designation in the UK of NFNVMPO -- Not For Very Much Profit Organization.

So there is a commercial interest of some sort here and in some of the documentation some of my team members provided me I have a list of some of the employees and some of them are developers. They are not volunteers. Now, maybe they are part-timers, I wouldn't know. But a part-timer is not a volunteer.

So here is the dilemma I have and that dilemma is right here on this site.

I have continued to do research and I see that which you wrote above, P_I, posted by a number of folks but without qualification.

In addition, I used various search tools and found no list on a phpBB site of volunteers as opposed to employees.

And maybe at this point I should offer a few posts from my research notes thus far.

Firstly there is this for actually becoming a volunteer:

https://www.phpbb.com/mods/volunteer/

On this page ... memberlist.php?mode=team ... we do not see any indication of where the team is split between employees and volunteers. Yes, we can make good guesses from what we have seen posted in the past, but why do we need to be guessing?

And about the posts in the past -- let me offer a few that are in my research notes.

--> A recent post by the Moderation Team Leader on August 12th of 2014 clearly indicates that there are some volunteers. Who exactly are the volunteers and who are the employees?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2255461&start=15

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

--> Here I found a post by MichaelC om March 8th, 2012 that is very circumspect on volunteerism here at phpBB. I choose to assume that was an accident, but when we search and search and search and can't seem to see through the clouds we begin to wonder why the directors of the company don't just spell it all out in clear text so there will be no misunderstanding.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2097674&start=45#p13123190

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

And by "misunderstanding" I will offer what seems to be some misunderstanding by a much respected member here:

Here is the link ... viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2143698#p13073548

and the part which seems to be of some concern is this:
There are some features that I'd like to see (especially BBCode improvements), of course, but this is a volunteer effort and I'm getting free software, so I can't complain too much.
And the reason I use the vocabulary "concern" is becuase it is posts like that that we see are posted by well established and respected members and we get the impression this is an NPO type of project. Then we write stupid things like "let's have a special donation campaign for" — me being the stupid one there, by the way.

By the way, that particular thread crossed my radar screen because a Google search turned up this:
phpBB • phpBB Falling Behind? - Page 2

viewtopic.php?f=64&t...

phpBB

Nov 10, 2011 - If you cannot find that time in, say, an entire year, how is it fair to expect development team members, who are all volunteers, to put in more than
Odd thing about that is I could not find that post. Maybe it was deleted.

So I hope you will understand, P_I, why I am asking you for some help?

Where did you find the information about volunteers on this site and/or volunteers working on a product for PHPBB Ltd. that was compromised by a security breach?

And I'll thank you in advance for your help.

Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

Rhet-or-Ric: you did your research wrong. Everything in your post is incorrect.

Just because there is no page for becoming a volunteer (edit: forgot about page Joas linked below), doesn't mean people in team aren't volunteers. There are no paid employees. Everyone on team are volunteers. There is no page for becoming a volunteer because team is invitation only.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen »

Arty wrote:Just because there is no page for becoming a volunteer, doesn't mean people in team aren't volunteers. There are no paid employees. Everyone on team are volunteers. There is no page for becoming a volunteer because team is invitation only.
However, there is https://www.phpbb.com/get-involved/ ;)
It explains, how you can maximize your chances to get invited
No Support via PM
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

I appreciate your input, Arty, but may I please ask how this can be staffed by nothing but an all-volunteer group?
PHPBB Limited is a PRI/LTD BY GUAR/NSC (Private, limited by guarantee, no share capital) registered on 27 January 2009, about 5 years and 11 months ago.
I do not think I should be posting more than that, but there is also available a list of the directors and there is a Linkedin page that states there are 22 employees. It does not indicate anything about volunteers, only employees. Pictures of said employees, also.

I think there are some employees around here someplace.

EDIT: Not Facebook. Very sorry.

EDIT #2: I think this is the proper link ... https://www.linkedin.com/company/phpbb- ... p_nav_home

Last edited by Rhet-or-Ric on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

I couldn't care less about that legal stuff and technical definitions so I can't answer that. You should ask Yuriy about those details, but your concerns are unfounded.

Everyone on team are volunteers. Just because some site lists members are employees instead of volunteers, doesn't mean its correct.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

Return to “phpBB Discussion”