[Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
noth

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by noth »

a great thank you to all involved in restoring phpBB.com safely :P

:x what a dastardly business!
Dragosvr92
Name: Dragos Valentin Rădulescu

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Paul wrote:
Dragosvr92 wrote:Soo... Why is area51 and the tracker etc still down? O-o
We are still working as hard as possible to get them back up.
Ok, thanks for your reply. Would have been useful if that could have been mentioned in the main post. :P
Formerly known as TheKiller
3.0| Avatar on Memberlist 1.0.3
Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time »

Thank you Yuriy for being humble even when I misunderstood the linked post. You are right and I stand corrected. Putting that in actual mathematical calculation makes more sense than the linked blog comment and more than that I appreciate your explained reasoning as to the reason on what the effect of the stolen password could be when the hacker attempts to break it. This is by far gives the most sense of security as far as the password is concerned when you explain it like that.

It is a shame hackers do what they do. I am sure everyone here hopes it wont be happening to them. Its a sickening feeling when you realise your servers been hacked. Last week 3 websites where I've had accounts with all have been hacked. Out of that in one site they were storing some account's password details in plain text and after the hacker stole the DB he sent the email to 80,000 users claiming he's got their details now along with a 81 page long pdf attachment of the list of usernames and passwords and uploaded the details on a warez site. He also posted an ad on Joomla forum wanting to sell 400,000 email addresses which was taking down shortly. Seriously its dreadful what these people do.

Anyhow... I do appreciate and thank you for writing to me when I was projecting my misunderstanding along with frustration.

Very obliged.
advocatus

Post by advocatus »

Alien_Time wrote:It is a shame hackers do what they do.
Using a compromised password isn't hacking. ;)
Hi, I'm advocatus and I own www.forumgames.in.
«THÖMÅS®©»

Post by «THÖMÅS®©» »

advocatus wrote:
Alien_Time wrote:It is a shame hackers do what they do.
Using a compromised password isn't hacking. ;)
It is however a criminal offence as it constitutes unauthorised access to an account that is not owned by the hackers.

It would be the same if anyone but you were to login to your online bank account for example.
“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein
"For every action has is an equal and opposite reaction". - Sir Isaac Newton
"In honor there is hope" - Alaska State Troopers

Owner & President @ =DN= Dark Nexus Multi-Gaming Clan
Dexio

Post by Dexio »

Yes also a giant thanks from me, I have been gone for about 2 years.. When I returned phpbb.com went down about 30 minutes after I had just started reading about 3.1!!

Merry Christmas everyone =)
FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa »

Thanks a lot to the Team for the work done.

Merry Christmas.
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Thanks Team! ;)
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Ancient Viking

Post by Ancient Viking »

advocatus wrote:Using a compromised password isn't hacking. ;)
It is hacking if you're aware of that and using such password.

@phpBB-team: Thanks for your hard work. :)
My local forum: egetforum.nu - Offline Forum Online!
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

Alien_Time wrote:
Mick wrote:There were updates published during the down week, what more information do you need?
You are kidding right... So you expect 400,000 users whose details were compromised to visit phpbb site to see the update and then realise "hey, my details have been comprised!" Seriously, this is ridiculous... Its like saying, we put the update on our site and if you dont see it, if your problem. The reality is, when your server was compromised, its all users problem too and they deserve to be notified and not just a blog post on our site and expect everyone to come and see it automatically. Thats the point I am trying to make...

When Sony was hacked, they emailed every users (million of them) to let them know their details might have been compromised and asked them to immediately change their password used on other sites. Okay forget about Sony, last week 2 other Joomla sites got hacked and they straight emailed their 100,000 users and advised them to take precautions. They didint go, 'hey, my server was down so how can I email!" or 'didnt you read our posts?". This goes to say, how serious do you value your users and I am utterly disppointed. And you as a team member stating 'what more do you want' just justifies my disappointment more.

Anyhow, I am gonna end it here since I've said why I am unhappy..
strongly agree with quoted msg......

If managing such big community, its more then normal to double (or ever triple) its infrastructure. And they should have put mail server on separate physical machine. If tjhey do so, there woould not be complaints about it.......

Second - they should re-think their strategy (esp. long-term one) as current one seems not to be working at all......
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

developer11 wrote:Second - they should re-think their strategy (esp. long-term one) as current one seems not to be working at all......
Ok I'll bite...what strategy isn't working at all exactly?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

DavidIQ wrote:
developer11 wrote:Second - they should re-think their strategy (esp. long-term one) as current one seems not to be working at all......
Ok I'll bite...what strategy isn't working at all exactly?
the one with mailserver being on the same machine as everything else.....

Its plain stupid not to sendout mails with request to change passwords just after you discovered you have been hacked. Its impossible to do having everything (mail, www, ftp and so on) on one physical machine. In fact - its project manager responsibility to ensure that systems are doubled (tripled). If opposite, there should be new person elected as current one is not taking his duties seriously..... In fact if it happened to my community, Id instantly fire my current project manager and hire new one.

BTW why blog.phpbb.com (and area51) return error with database? when everything should be up && running?
Last edited by developer11 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

developer11 wrote:the one with mailserver being on the same machine as everything else.....
It isn't. Not sure how you've come to this conclusion... The fact that I said the mail server has limited resources in no way means that it's the same server as everything else.
developer11 wrote:BTW why blog.phpbb.com (and area51) return error with database? when everything should be up && running?
In the announcement:
Marshalrusty wrote:Additional components of phpBB.com will be coming online within the next few days.
All other sites are slowly being worked on and will hopefully be up soon. The holidays are slowing things down considerably unfortunately.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

@up: on then event of being hacked security is number one, and hackers will not care that server has limited resources.... they will just use stolen passwords to hack users mail accounts, paypals and so on...... thats why mails should have been sent, just to warn user and to make hacking users accounts more difficult.....
again its up to projext manager to ensure that all servers have as much resources as possible......
Last edited by developer11 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa »

Why are people complaining ? Isn't phpBB software free, developed by people working for free ? Be patient the main website is online...
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”