[Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Locked
developer11
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by developer11 »

ForumsFaciles wrote:Why are people complaining ? Isn't phpBB software free, developed by people working for free ? Be patient the main website is online...
why do I complain? because I see what team do wrong and I use freedom of speech.......
User avatar
FoFa
Registered User
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am
Name: Daniel L.
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by FoFa »

There are a lot of ways telling people what they are doing wrong, keeping our freedom of speech. I do not think complaining is a good way. But it's my way of thinking.
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:
developer11
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by developer11 »

ForumsFaciles wrote:There are a lot of ways telling people what they are doing wrong, keeping our freedom of speech. I do not think complaining is a good way. But it's my way of thinking.
why do you think complaining is not a way of telling someone that thewy are doing sth wrong way?
User avatar
FoFa
Registered User
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am
Name: Daniel L.
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by FoFa »

Maybe because I try not complaining when I get something totally free ;-)
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:
developer11
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by developer11 »

ForumsFaciles wrote:Maybe because I try not complaining when I get something totally free ;-)
getting sth for free != not complaining about it :)
User avatar
FoFa
Registered User
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 am
Name: Daniel L.
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by FoFa »

Well... Don't want continue doing off topic :mrgreen:
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:
LordVetinari
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by LordVetinari »

Good to see phpbb.com back online!
A big "Thank you" to everyone who helped to bring the site and the other services back.

P.S.: I wish you a merry Christmas!
User avatar
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Posts: 29294
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:45 pm
Location: New York City
Name: Yuriy Rusko
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by Marshalrusty »

developer11 wrote:
ForumsFaciles wrote:Why are people complaining ? Isn't phpBB software free, developed by people working for free ? Be patient the main website is online...
why do I complain? because I see what team do wrong and I use freedom of speech.......
Except that you've never made a single constructive post either here or on area51. All you do is complain about what you perceive as being "wrong" while offering little justification for your opinions, no realistic suggestion for improvements, and ignoring anyone who offers evidence to the contrary. In short, you spout cynicism and lower the level of discourse while detracting from this community's productivity. We've all been very patient, but this is absolutely your final warning.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
User avatar
lozu
Registered User
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:07 am
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by lozu »

developer11 wrote: why do I complain? because I see what team do wrong and I use freedom of speech.......
This is no freedom of speech any more when websites are barely protected those days. All you hear is spying, hacking, DDoS etc.

I've herd other website server has been attacked a tons of times, but this one is no different expect outside sources somehow obtained the password via one of staff member at here. Should we say that particular staff has a weak password? :(

Nevertheless, the site is back up in one piece, expect for the blog being down still...
Kaycee
Registered User
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:23 am
Location: Nigeria
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by Kaycee »

Wellcome back! Missed the site in those few days.
marvin-miller
Registered User
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:52 am

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by marvin-miller »

DavidIQ wrote:
david63 wrote:Had this been a commercial site then being down for 10 days at any time of the year but especially in the run up to Christmas would have been commercial suicide
Christmas was part of the problem. Some of the sysadmins were away which considerably slowed things down and some of our own were having to deal with real life and phpBB at the same time so that slowed down the research process some. Just not a good time of the year for this to have happened. People were extra busy...but here we are! :ugeek:
Well said, well handled etc. I think people really need to remember this is not a commercial product/site. I mean, I got phpbb for free, I get help for free etc. phpbb is a privilege and not a right.

I mean, what do these people who are complaining want? A refund??? :lol:
User avatar
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 4960
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Swearing at the PC, UK
Name: James
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by HiFiKabin »

I think we are all entitled to a refund of 2x what we paid :mrgreen:

Image

I think that, yet again, the team have coped with a very difficult situation very well and therefore should be applauded, not spat at.
User avatar
noth
Registered User
Posts: 2487
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:10 pm
Location: North Surrey
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by noth »

HiFiKabin yes absolutely - at least the troll is smiling I guess :ugeek:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I hate to see things like this happen, however, it does show me just how addicted to phpbb.com I am. :lol: :oops:
I realilzed that I couldn't find anything else on the whole internet that interested me so I was completely bored and actually got the toy box I was building for my grandson finished. WOW, you guys are going to have to do this more often so I can get more work done.

:twisted:

robert
haha that's great Robert, did make me smile :lol: yes quite agree and did your grandson love it?

here's to phpBB.com !! :D
developer11
I've Been Banned!
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by developer11 »

Marshalrusty wrote:
developer11 wrote:
ForumsFaciles wrote:Why are people complaining ? Isn't phpBB software free, developed by people working for free ? Be patient the main website is online...
why do I complain? because I see what team do wrong and I use freedom of speech.......
Except that you've never made a single constructive post either here or on area51. All you do is complain about what you perceive as being "wrong" while offering little justification for your opinions, no realistic suggestion for improvements, and ignoring anyone who offers evidence to the contrary. In short, you spout cynicism and lower the level of discourse while detracting from this community's productivity. We've all been very patient, but this is absolutely your final warning.
follow whats wriiten in your avatar.... its wise sentence......

OK - I was about to ignore this thread (as well as bb as whole) but I decided not to. Why? Just because you provoked me in the manner which only confirm how 'educated' you are.....

As a project manager, youu should know that:

a) all core elements of infrastructure have to be doubled (tripled even),
b) its not wise to offend someone (remember on IRC #phpbb when I asked about progress?). Just to remind you - you insinuated that there must be sth very wrong with me. Id partly understand this when said as an defense, but no - it was your answer to - politely asked - question. Anyone wanting a proof - shoot me PM please,

I will repeat - this is not a proper way to handle questions (and support in general), if you do not know how to handle criticism, you'd better resign from Project Manager. Not sending-out mails containing info about being hacked shows what type of human are you.......instead of saying sorry, you just seem to be ignoring case.....

As of one thing - you say that bb is released under GPL and as such anyone can modify it. Just false. If anyone can modify it why there is a person (group) who needs to accept PRs? Its nonsense to me. Anyone can modify = PRs being automatically submitted (without need to being accepted). QA team is for correcting/adjusting code submitted in PRs to phpbb coding standards. If not - change your licence. As now - it not complies with GPL.
User avatar
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Posts: 21586
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: Your display
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You need to read up on the GPL. The code that this forum is written on is GPL meaning that anyone can take it and modify it and release it as their own and even charge for it if they want...they just need to maintain the original credits.

The GPL has nothing to do with accepting PR's into the CORE of the original software.
The license embodies the Free Software Foundation's "copyleft" rule, which means that anyone is allowed to make changes or extend the source code and redistribute it as long as the changes are clearly marked, and the modified work is also licensed under the GNU General Public License.
so again, you seem to be making statements of fact which aren't fact at all.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Locked

Return to “phpBB Discussion”