[Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Re: [Discuss] Welcome Back phpBB.com

Post by developer11 »

marvin-miller wrote:In short, you're fired! :o
thank God, you are not my boss...... and I do not have to listen to you.......
even if you were, I would not listen to you no matter what.....
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:You need to read up on the GPL. The code that this forum is written on is GPL meaning that anyone can take it and modify it and release it as their own and even charge for it if they want...they just need to maintain the original credits.

The GPL has nothing to do with accepting PR's into the CORE of the original software.
The license embodies the Free Software Foundation's "copyleft" rule, which means that anyone is allowed to make changes or extend the source code and redistribute it as long as the changes are clearly marked, and the modified work is also licensed under the GNU General Public License.
so again, you seem to be making statements of fact which aren't fact at all.
there is no need to write in CAPITALS...............

In one of the prev threads, it was suggested to me, that I can make a PR and - as long as the code inside the PR will be high quality - it will be merged with core/current branch. This should be right, but - I dare to say - it is not always right. What Im trying to say is that they think they can reject one's worrk just because they are team.....no they cannot. Why there needs to be approval of PR if anyone can modify this software......?

Team should make automatic acceptance of PRs.
FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa »

There are a lot of "simple members" (NOT Team members) who made some PR which were accepted... so, no, not only Team Members PR are validated :wink:
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:
marvin-miller

Post by marvin-miller »

developer11 wrote:
marvin-miller wrote:In short, you're fired! :o
thank God, you are not my boss...... and I do not have to listen to you.......
Yeah, I think it's becoming clear to everyone that you are unemployed :lol:
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

developer11 wrote:Why there needs to be approval of PR if anyone can modify this software......?
Again you clearly do not understand the purpose of the GNU GPL. I suggest you google it and try to understand what it's purpose is. That is why I wrote in capitals. To try and get you to understand the difference between what you are suggesting as opposed to fact. This isn't the first time you have spouted off misinformation and I doubt if it will be the last.
No they shouldn't. If the code being merged is crap then the PR is crap and will affect the quality of the phpBB software. All my mods/extensions are GPL. Using your flawed logic I should accept every PR no matter the quality of the PR. Are you then suggesting that I provide support for the crappy code that was merged or should the original author? Here's a hint, the original author of the crappy code will, more than likely, become a lost soul on the internet which then leaves the mod/extension writer to provide support.

I will not support crappy code and that is my prerogative as the author of the mod/extension.

Also as I have stated to you previously, you complain, make statements as though they are fact when the opposite is true and provide absolutely zero in the form of a solution. It is easy to complain and provide no sort of solution. It is much more difficult to do otherwise.

By the way, in any company that I have worked for, an employee is expected to provide some sort of solution to a problem they think is an issue. I highly doubt you would be employed for long in a company if all you do is complain without providing a possible solution.

If you don't like it, leave. No one is forcing phpBB down your throat.
developer11 wrote:thank God, you are not my boss...... and I do not have to listen to you.......
In which case you would be fired for insubordination. At least if you worked for me you would be not that I need a reason to begin with.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

developer11 wrote:blah blah whinge blah blah moan blah blah whine blah blah complain blah blah...
Oh do go away you tedious little tit.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

your concept of how this works is really flawed.

the gpl allows anyone that wants to to get the code , change it in any way they wish and do whatever they want to with it.
'
phpbb.com allows anyone that wants to to submit code to be considered for inclusion. there is no part of the gpl that requires anyone ( the code creator or otherwise ) to accept someone's code into their version of the software. if you want to put your code in your version and use it, or distribute it, that is your business, but phpbb does not have to accept your code and use it if they do not want to. they don't even need a valid reason to refuse it. they could just feel that you are being a complete moron and refuse it based on that.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Many, many thanks to the developers, testers, moderators, and administrators behind this community (all roles appreciated equally).

I contribute here as a way to express my appeciation and to help others.

In addition to having a unique username and password, I use an additional form of security - my board's name is never mentioned here.

This may be against the idea of an open community, but it prevents someone from linking to my board via an internet search. I prefer my board's members not know the mods we have installed, nor any insight of the board's details.

I never thought that this approach would be helpful if the database was compromised.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

I would say thank god but he's the reason this place got hacked in the first place. Thanks to the admins, mods, volunteers, etc. for getting things operational again.

In the grand scheme of things, this is barely a blip. Sites get hacked all the time, I've been more diligent lately on my passwords so fortunately my password here is gibberish to me and I only use it here.
michaelo
Name: Michael O'Toole

Post by michaelo »

Considering the time of year and the ground covered, the down time was minimal... You guys shouldn't have to spend Christmas (insert whatever you call it) solving problems... Good job...
Contributions: Mods & Styles Extensions
(site is down): Kiss Portal Engine
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
No they shouldn't. If the code being merged is crap then the PR is crap and will affect the quality of the phpBB software. All my mods/extensions are GPL. Using your flawed logic I should accept every PR no matter the quality of the PR. Are you then suggesting that I provide support for the crappy code that was merged or should the original author? Here's a hint, the original author of the crappy code will, more than likely, become a lost soul on the internet which then leaves the mod/extension writer to provide support.
they should make PRs being accepted automatically. If PR is crap than QA team steps in and (in cooperation with code author) corrects the code within PR. Thats what QA team is for.....
Rhet-or-Ric

Post by Rhet-or-Ric »

So I am also thinking that an email alert sent to members is about as basic as can be and I see the discussion on that point went around and around and I see there is this thing about this entity -- phpBB whatever -- this entity does not have the resources to do that alert to email accounts thing.

Okay, fine. It's done. It's happened and yakking on and on about what we all think about no email alerts sent out won't change what has happened.

BUT I am now wondering if there might be something us folks -- I mean us regular member types -- is there anything we might be able to do to help this phpBB entity get the resources necessary for the next time?

Maybe it is a donation just for that specific purpose? No? Well, what can we do?

Oh yes, I noticed in that Yurly post explaining what happened and all that none of our sites were affected, but there is one thing that was affected and it gave me a nice chance to grab a sort of collector's item -- a screenshot with a recent timestamp stating that my old board neededd no updates. I understand why I was seeing that and I'm not at all complaining, but it really is a cool picture I was able to grab.

I wonder how many others saw that chance, too? And took the chance?

Okay, enough of that, too.

So, will a special collection of funds be of any help to you phpBB folks?

RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

developer11 wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:
they should make PRs being accepted automatically. If PR is crap than QA team steps in and (in cooperation with code author) corrects the code within PR. Thats what QA team is for.....
Again you are incorrect. The QA team is for testing release candidates. If the code is crap to begin with then why waste the time. The QA team very rarely makes PR's of code. That isn't their job. Their job is to ensure that the forum operates correctly given changes as well as test bug fixes. The dev's work with the code author to get the code in to the core.

This whole debate has gone on long enough and this topic is not about what you believe the jobs of the different teams are. I have proven you wrong time and time again and to be honest it is tiring. The adage "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" seems to be very apropos here.

I find it interesting that you think you know an awful lot about how the phpBB code authoring system works and you gleaned this information from your all of 21 days on this forum.

I am reminded of this saying

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
developer11
I've Been Banned!

Post by developer11 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
developer11 wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Again you are incorrect. The QA team is for testing release candidates. If the code is crap to begin with then why waste the time. The QA team very rarely makes PR's of code. That isn't their job. Their job is to ensure that the forum operates correctly given changes as well as test bug fixes. The dev's work with the code author to get the code in to the core.

This whole debate has gone on long enough and this topic is not about what you believe the jobs of the different teams are. I have proven you wrong time and time again and to be honest it is tiring. The adage "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" seems to be very apropos here.

I find it interesting that you think you know an awful lot about how the phpBB code authoring system works and you gleaned this information from your all of 21 days on this forum.

I am reminded of this saying

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Nice essay :)

QA stands for quality assurance and as such their primary responsibility is to assure code remains highh quality......

Testing the code is responsibility of developers team. Developers should closely cooperate with QA to deliver high quality software.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

QA stands for quality assurance and as such their primary responsibility is to assure code remains highh quality......

Testing the code is responsibility of developers team.
/me shakes head

You really have no farken clue what so ever. Here let me define the term quality assurance for you...emphasis mine
a program for the systematic monitoring and evaluation of the various aspects of a project, service, or facility to ensure that standards of quality are being met
The developers are the ones to assure code remains high quality, the QA team ensures that the code does what it is supposed to do without mucking up the works.

Using your flawed logic if a company makes widgets it is your assertion that the QA team is responsible for the design of said widget and it is the engineers job to test that the widget works? Un-farken-believable.

"Developer"11 indeed. :roll:

Now before you state something else to make yourself look a bit more foolish, which I happen to think is completely impossible, try and engage your brain before posting again. Remember Google is your friend.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”