Quick install / multi-site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
CaptainStarbuck
Name: Captain Starbuck

Quick install / multi-site

Post by CaptainStarbuck » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:50 am

I'm coming from another forum environment that doesn't suit new requirements. I'm hoping someone here can tell me if phpBB can or cannot support these features, and which mods/extensions might help.

1) Fast install of a new instance based on a data template plus new dynamic data. This is like the one-click install, but for production use. I'd like to be able to query a database or even used a hard-coded table for some default values. I'd combine that fixed data with some user-provided data. I'd then create the database and file system with code elsewhere. Then I'd "somehow" install phpBB, code would be used to update the database with new values, and the person creating the environment would then be allowed to login. The users will come in through foo.com and the forums will be setup under subdomains as bar0001.foo.com, bar0002.foo.com, etc.

2) I've seen notes about auto-updates for mods. Assume we have a number of subdomains like bar9999.foo.com. Is there any mechanism to auto-update the mods in an installation? Obviously it would quickly become a huge pain to manually update a number of them.

3) The same individuals might login to multiple sites, but their profile data will be different. A single-signon mechanism would help, where users do not need to re-login across subdomains where they are authorized. But a user should not be able to move into a board without prior registration/approval. As an example, my email address for this CaptainStarbuck user should be usable as a pre-validated email address in another phpBB forum on this same domain, but in another forum I might be MajorPain, rather than CaptainStarbuck.

4) I don't care about the topology as long as we can get it as cookie-cutter as possible. So there can be a single installation with multiple databases, a single install with a single database where tables have a prefix, or multiple installations each in their own file system. Again, this needs to be considered with the ability to do rapid mod updates.

Thanks for your time.

CaptainStarbuck
Name: Captain Starbuck

Re: Quick install / multi-site

Post by CaptainStarbuck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:27 am

Bumping. Can I do anything to rephrase this request? Is it so far outside of the bounds of phpBB that a concise response can't be offered? I'm hoping it was just missed. Thanks.

tumba25
Former Team Member
Name: Jari Kanerva

Re: Quick install / multi-site

Post by tumba25 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:30 pm

QuickInstall can be used to one-click install multiple forums. You'd have to protect the QI directory some way, for example htaccess password protection.

phpBB 3.0.x has AutoMOD, which can handle updates to MODs that are installed with AutoMOD. phpBB 3.1.x has easier updating for extensions (name changed from modifications) and can also be installed with QI.

But it don't have anything to share DB, user data/cookies or sessions. It's made with the intention to separate each forum to testing purposes. But anything can off course be developed using the QI or phpBB code base.
Need a mod/extension created/installed, other custom-coded solution or a server admin? https://tumba25.net

Return to “phpBB Discussion”