Forum memory usage

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
jayavinoth

Forum memory usage

Post by jayavinoth »

I am running a wordpress website in a godaddy shared hosting. I added phpbb3 forum yesterday. In my hosting, i have only maximum 512 memory usage. Anyone please suggest me what all the factors that increase bandwidth and memory usage?
I want to run forum as question and answer website like stack overflow. So Based on this, please suggest...
Forum: http://www.etechtricks.com/forums/

Thanks.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Forum memory usage

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

memory is not bandwidth. don't worry about it.

also, where did you see that you only have 512MB of memory available for your account? I have never heard of a shared hosting account that mentions anything about memory availability. usually that is a feature of a vps or dedicated/semi-dedicated server package.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
jayavinoth

Post by jayavinoth »

Thanks, In my cpanel i could see the below memory usage. I want to reduce bandwidth, please tell me the factors so i could try to limit the bandwidth.

Lumpy Burgertushie

never heard of that before.
first, I would suggest that anyone and everyone not use godaddy for hosting. this is a new reason why, and there are many other reasons why.

however, I would simply not worry about it until and unless there is a problem.
if they are truly talking about how much memory is on the server then think about it this way.

how much memory do you have on your computer at home? 4gb? 8gb?
what can you do to use less memory overall? on any given time you are using your computer you could max out your memory if you are running a huge file or maybe a graphics program or something. however, you don't accumulate that memory usage from each time you run your computer and then run out of it.

see, the whole thing just doesn't make any sense for a shared hosting enviornment.

robert

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:never heard of that before.
Monitoring memory is a built in feature of the cPanel software many hosts use. Many shared hosts do this, including the one I use (although mine is a 1GiB limit and the usage numbers are much smaller)

To the OP's question: phpBB 3.1 uses quite a bit of memory and there isn't much you can do to reduce it. I wouldn't be concerned with the half utilization. It is likely that even if you hit the limit you'll have a few error pages pop up for users and a refresh will solve the "problem". Long term fix is to use a more permissive host.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Lumpy Burgertushie

well, what do you know. I just checked my cpanel and it too has a spot for memory usage. didn't used to have that. shows you how often I read what is on that page other than to click on what I need.
mine also has 1GB .

learn something new every day.

thanks,
robert

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

That is high compared to my stats (including a site with a phpBB 3.0.12 forum and a couple small Wordpress sites). I just checked the memory usage over the last 30 days and the highest spike was 112mb with the next highest at a mere 15mb. Mine is only 512mb too but I don't see that as a problem with my current setup.

More of a concern for me if I am going to move to phpBB 3.1 is the CPU Usage. Although the average is low, I'm currently hitting the max about once a day and the hourly peaks are often around 70-80%. If that's going to be more of an issue with 3.1 it looks like I won't be updating.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”