PHPBB3 [3.1.2] worst forum for SEO URL that I saw in my life

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Pond Life

Re: PHPBB3 [3.1.2] worst forum for SEO URL that I saw in my life

Post by Pond Life » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Josh321 wrote:I don't understand why webmasters are so resistant to the idea of increasing traffic and number of registered users.
I don't think they are, they are simply suspicious of the term 'SEO', which is hardly surprising due to the sheer volume of SpamEmitingOperators that forum and blog owners have to constantly battle against to keep their so called 'SEO link building' crud off our sites.

You said yourself...
Josh321 wrote:It's true that the SEO industry is overrun with charlatans
... so do you really find it so surprising that site owners treat talk of SEO with suspicion?

It may not feel fair to those who put in some real effort to understand a site and work at tweaks to improve it but the hard workers are a small minority hidden in a sea of spammers and scammers.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Josh321

Post by Josh321 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Pond Life wrote:
Josh321 wrote:It's true that the SEO industry is overrun with charlatans
... so do you really find it so surprising that site owners treat talk of SEO with suspicion?.
I wouldn't be surprised about a little bit of initial resistance, but the reaction here on phpBB.com goes far beyond that...

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Josh321 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised about a little bit of initial resistance, but the reaction here on phpBB.com goes far beyond that...
SEO has been associated with things like "snake oil", "selling a bridge", "scam", "useless", and a slew of other terms in these parts so it's not really surprising that many are showing their dislike or apprehension towards it. Changing this mentality is an uphill battle but it is achievable.

For better or for worse SEO is something that just needs to be embraced in phpBB but it needs to be done properly. Many that come here, the OP included as well as a few others that replied in this topic, start talking out of their rear-ends about things regarding SEO they know nothing about so getting this right would be key for wide-spread community adoption. I can imagine vBulletin probably went through a similar painful process, although they're more driven by what their paying customers start asking for, which is probably the reason their product has taken a bit of a nosedive in terms of quality in their latest version (from what I've read).
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:59 pm

If phpBB put in some SEO in a future release 99% of users would not even think twice about and just accept it and carry on as normal - the other 1% would spend hours arguing that it was not implemented [in their opinion] correctly.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Josh321

Post by Josh321 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 pm

david63 wrote:If phpBB put in some SEO in a future release 99% of users would not even think twice about and just accept it and carry on as normal - the other 1% would spend hours arguing that it was not implemented [in their opinion] correctly.
Maybe version 3.2 won't have perfect SEO, but it could be better than version 3.1... and by version 4.0, the perfected SEO could even be one of the reasons why people choose phpBB over vBulletin and XenForo. It's likely that it will take time.

arod-1

fanboys hurt this forum

Post by arod-1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 am

reading this thread is somewhat depressing.
personally, i do not care all that much about SEO - my issue is completely different.

clearly, phpbb can do better with SEOs. it does not even matter if the issue is real or is it mainly about perception (and at least one poster here convinced me that it's real) - perception is also important.

when enough people believe that "seo is important", and enough people believe that "phpbb sucks at seo", the inevitable result is that less people will use phpbb.

but this is not the depressing part: the depressing part is the destructive amount of fanboyism demonstrated in this thread - and i'm saying this when the worst fanboys are in my killfile for years.

this behavior does not help phpbb: after all, this *is* phpbb.com - practically anyone here likes phpbb and wants to see it thriving.

you want to sing phpbb praise? go do it elsewhere - it might help phphbb (or it might put you in many killfile there, once you exhaust your welcome). it's completely and utterly useless here.

instead of having a productive discussion that might help improve phpbb (in this case, phpbb's SEO), we have endless useless arguments, where the fanboys constantly and endlessly denying any claim to any problem or issue with their beloved forum software. instead of discussing ways to solve problems and improving the product, we spend pages on pages just trying to persuade that problems and issues even exist, with the fanboys constantly and vehemently denying any such claim.

the same pattern repeats here with so many other discussions that get degraded and diluted by the fanboys. i am not saying it's productive to smear and badmouth phpbb just for the sake of it, but we should be able to raise issues and discuss problems and solution without having the discussion drowned by mindless chorus of "phpbb is great" and "if phpbb doesn't know how to do it, it must be useless", and "anyone criticizing phpbb is an idiot who doesn't know what they are talking about".

to put it coarsely: grow up or shut up (or at least, grow up or tone down: please don't express your fanboyinsm more than twice in any given thread).

peace.

Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 am

These people you call fanboys believe firmly that phpBB is doing the best possible job. Should they not post this, because they don't agree with the opinion of the OP? The world would be a magical place if only experts posted there opinion, but that's not how the internet works. ;)
There are plenty of members who demand changes to the core because they can't figure out how to setup phpBB properly.

It is reasonable to expect a discussion will happen when changes are proposed.
When opinions are expressed as aggressively as the OP does, the responses will be equally aggressive.

No need to get depressed about it. ;)

zvunks

Post by zvunks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:27 am

Read all this topic...

I have a good content, so let's say a switch from phpBB SEO (3.0.12) to phpBB 3.1 (latest).

Should i wait a little more that 3.1 will be more stable?

Is phpBB 3.1 stable? Excepting "ugly" URL's, ... are there BENEFITS to make this upgrade?

Thanks!

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:34 am

3.1.x is totally stable. I (and others) have been using it from day 1

'ugly' URL's are in the eye of the beholder, and most people do not consider them essential (or even useful)

3.1.x has a lot of extra features over 3.0.x and only you can decide if you want them.

Just be aware though that there is going to be no more development on 3.0.x

zvunks

Post by zvunks » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:56 am

I have a question... and i didn't find any answer on this forum/topic...
Why google highlight (bold) keywords in URL's if it's not relevant for SEO?
I always liked to edit topic first post to change the URL, to have relevant keywords.

Is there another topic where users talk about advantages of 3.1.x?

I'm on the "verge" of migrating my forum on another solution but i have also know the core code and did some modification on my own (not MOD's), and i will try to make this changes in extension manner... but i don't know... I like the new responsive, simple, prosilver theme... And kind'a used with PHPBB3.... :(

I want to read some GOOD optinions about the new 3.1 ...

Thanks for your post...

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 pm

zvunks wrote: Why google highlight (bold) keywords in URL's if it's not relevant for SEO?
This is something I've always wondered...Google does make a point of highlighting 'Searched words' in friendly type URL's. I suppose there must be some small advantage but in no way nowhere near as important of plenty of good content.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:35 pm

I don't think the fact that google hilites the search terms in the friendly url has any real meaning about how relevant those type urls are in their search results. they are there so they just get highlited.

nobody ever said that keywords were not relevant to SEO. they are very relevant. the only thing said around here is that the keyword meta tag in the head section of the html document is not used by google.

also , nobody has said that keywords in the file name/domain name are not relevant, only that they don't count for much. I believe that if everything else is equal, a "pretty url" might move you up one or two places higher in a search return for specific keywords versus an "ugly url". not hardly worth all the problems setting those "pretty urls" up can cause.

remember how search works; people type in search terms that they hope are relevant to what they want to know about.

google takes those search terms/keywords and looks at every page on the internet and based on its criteria, brings back links to the pages that have those search terms/keywords in them.

It gives weight to how those keywords are used in the code of the page ( remember, google does not every see your web page, it sees the code that creates your webpage ).
for instance, the words used in a title are weighted higher, the words used in H1 tags are weighted higher than those used in the normal text, the number of times a word is used in the text ( within limits that only google knows) weights it higher, etc, etc. etc.

what google does not do, is pay any attention to the meta keyword tag in the head section.

it will penalize you if you have keywords that are not relevant to the rest of the site ( like sex words scattered throughtout a site about widgets), it will penalize you is you have too many keywords that don't make sense with the content etc.

the best type of keywords are those that are relevant to the subject matter, that are the keywords that people more often search for about the subject matter etc.

so, the point is. if your site is about widgets then make your site about widgets. put all the best , most relevant and most up to date content you can find about widgets on your site.

do the research and find out what keywords people are using when searching for info about widgets. use those keywords in h1 tags, in forum/topic titles, in the posts themselves, in the content.

create your site to give the viewer what they want and google will naturally give you a higher ranking in the serps.

and by the way, the advantages of 3.1 are the same as they have always been for phpbb. there is nothing new in 3.1 in relation to SEO. the benefits of 3.1 are here on this site to read and learn about.

as far as SEO goes, it has always been just fine out of the box and needs no major help for SEO.
sure there are things you can tweak, but the "pretty urls" is not needed because the search engines don't care and most people don't pay any attention to a URL , they just click on links.

spend your efforts on content and keyword rich forum and topic titles etc.

luck,
robert

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:35 pm

zvunks,
At any case of upgrade form 3.0 SEO to 3.1 or another platform, you should check how to maintain "redirects" from old url's to new url's, otherwise you will lost traffic, at least until google will "re-index" you, and even than you might lost some "juice" for a while...
In any case you change URL structure you should have a redirect strategy in place at least for the top pages, even if it is manual redirect.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:46 pm

however, there are usually no url changes when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1
only if you had "pretty urls" on the 3.0 board and you do NOT have them on the 3.1 board.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

zvunks

Post by zvunks » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks guys!

I have "pretty" URL's and searching for a proper "smooth" migrate, with permanent moved redirects (301 if i recall)...
I got something, but if you know a discussion topic on this... please give me the link.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”