3.1.2 Basic SEO Techniques

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Nigelmch

3.1.2 Basic SEO Techniques

Post by Nigelmch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:18 am

Hi All

Can someone please advise if there are any good phpBB seo techniques resources online?

Im unclear how to set page descriptions for each of my forums and would benefit from doing some additional research on how to optimise my Forum.

Many thanks in advance
Nigel

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: 3.1.2 Basic SEO Techniques

Post by david63 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:25 am

Have you tried searching on this forum?

There are many topics on this subject and seems pointless regurgitating the "same old same".
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Nigelmch

Post by Nigelmch » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:34 am

I did but a lot of the information seems quite conflicting so I wondered if anyone was aware of any other good resources available.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 am

SEO is generally agreed to be a waste of time.

A sitemap on the other hand may prove useful. viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2269621

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:35 am

Sitemaps are generally considered to be a waste of time for dynamic sites, such as a bulletin board, which are frequently having new forums, topics, and posts added.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Nigelmch

Post by Nigelmch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:16 pm

So you can see where my uncertainty stems from.

SEO is a waste of time.
Sitemaps are a waste of time.

The crawlers must be indexing something, so there must be a way of improving that 'something' so that it is more targetted and focussed.

Does anyone have any positive views or opinions on this subject?

Many thanks
Nigel

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:22 pm

The whole debate about SEO and sitemaps is one of a perception that it will make a difference. The only thing that will make any difference with any search engine is to have good quality content that is relevant to your site and is updated frequently. Once that is done it is a matter of time and being patient whilst the bots get on and do their job.

Trying to promote a site by these methods is largely a futile exercise because, in general, people do not search for a site but for content within the site.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

Nigelmch

Post by Nigelmch » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi

OK considering this statement '....have good quality content that is relevant to your site...'

So assuming that the good quality would come as a given from the community, the moderators could be instructed to respond using certain phrases that are relevant to the site or relevant to the target audience were are aiming for - that would be an example of SEO.

How about signature's of frequent posters/contributors - could this be enriched to ensure the 'relevance' you mentioned?

Thanks
Nigel

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:38 pm

A sitemap points the bots what is worth indexing (and probably more importantly) tells them what to ignore. It will not in it self improve your ranking.

Having lots of the same messages in sigs or posts will probably be seen by the bots as a way to try and increase your rankings, and will therefore be ignored.

The way to get good rankings is to have (as has been said before) good and relevant content.

Music recommendations on a music forum is good. Music recommendations on a gaming forum is not. The more relevant it is, the more relevant it becomes.

Concentrate on good content and let the rankings take care of themselves.

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:44 pm

It's all about the content as mentioned...And the way we can improve content is:

1/ Try to use key words in your forum names, but without them looking/sounding spammy.
2/ If your forum descriptions are showing (Slight edit to viewforum_body.html and viewtopic_body.html) again use key words to describe the forum without looking/sounding spammy.
3/ Have as much activity as you can, if the forum is quiet, post lots of interesting and 'On topic' things yourself.
4/ Don't have loads of forums for the sake of it, empty forums don't help.

Just a few to get you going. :)

Edit: Almost forgot! Lastly, be sure you have a good host and that your site works speedily! May sound silly, but from my experience this is very important! I had a host who ended up not being capable of running phpBB, the site (Which is new) became almost unusable. I switched hosts, and all of a sudden people are registering and posting. Probably part coincidence, but I think it has definitely played a part!
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:37 pm

and, unless you are selling something or trying to use adsense etc. then search engine ranking is basically useless to you.

if you are trying to get members, go out and promote your site to other like minded people. there is a long topoic here on ways to do that.

as was said above, people do not use search looking for your board. they are looking for information about something. they type in keywords that relate to that information. your site will show up if it has those keywords in the posts, in the forum/topic titles etc. where it shows up in the search returns depends on those things, it depends on how much info you have about the subject, on how often it is updated, on how many other sites with good info you link to and how many link to you.

none of that has anything to do with phpbb itself but how you use it and how you promote it etc.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

HB

Post by HB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am

Nigelmch wrote:Can someone please advise if there are any good phpBB seo techniques resources online?
While not specific to phpBB, Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide is well-written and succinct. phpBB implements a lot of the suggestions in Google's guides, but not all (e.g., Make use of the "description" meta tag, Improve the structure of your URLs). According to Google Webmaster Tools, the V3.1.2 release gets very high marks for mobile support.
Dan Kehn

ASEANpages

Post by ASEANpages » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:13 pm

a
Last edited by ASEANpages on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ASEAN Pages - Meeting Point for Business People http://aseanpages.asia

david63
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by david63 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:54 pm

@ASEANpages - I do not doubt your experience in "marketing" websites but is all of what you posted above not a bit of "overkill" for a hobby forum?
David

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:24 pm

HB wrote:While not specific to phpBB, Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide is well-written
It's also 5 years old, so probably outdated
©Copyright 2010 Google
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Return to “phpBB Discussion”