Extensions and translations

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Extensions and translations

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:57 am

arod-1 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:One possible solution would be....

How's that?
(truncated for brevity - quoting just to make it clear which post i'm responding to. post itself is 2 above)

as far as i understand what you are saying, i think it's an excellent solution.
one unanswered question (or at least, one question i did not understand the answer to) is how extension upgrades should be handled:
what happens when the extension author publishes a new version, which includes a new language variable? does this automatically renders all existing translations "invalid"? and when someone (either the original translator or someone else) wants to fix it by translating the extra variable, what is the process? do users have access to "unapproved" translations so they can correct the problem(s), or will every translator need to start from scratch?
First, I don't think that a new language string really makes a translation "invalid"; it just means there's a gap. The translation will still work for most things, and new strings have (or should have) a fall back. (Does phpBB 3.1 still show the variable name?)

Second, if anybody can upload translations to the CDB, can't somebody take an existing translation, modify it and upload the new version to the CDB?
arod-1 wrote:except for this one point, and as far as i understand what you said, it sounds to me like a good solution.
once this (or something else) becomes the "official guideline", it would be nice it it can be advertised to the localized communities.
Did you read my proposed solution? If so, how did that sound?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:49 am

Pony99CA wrote:I don't think that a new language string really makes a translation "invalid"
Maybe/maybe not but if a language string is missing from a translation of an extension that is being validated, and it is spotted, then it is quite possible that the extension will be denied.
Pony99CA wrote:Second, if anybody can upload translations to the CDB, can't somebody take an existing translation, modify it and upload the new version to the CDB?
That could be dangerous if someone had malicious intent. Whenever anyone translates an extensions we are totally in their hands to do it honestly as, for the majority of extension developers, we would not know what is in there.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:57 pm

david63 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I don't think that a new language string really makes a translation "invalid"
Maybe/maybe not but if a language string is missing from a translation of an extension that is being validated, and it is spotted, then it is quite possible that the extension will be denied.
If that happens, I would hope that only translation piece would be denied, not the entire extension. But maybe that's impractical.
david63 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Second, if anybody can upload translations to the CDB, can't somebody take an existing translation, modify it and upload the new version to the CDB?
That could be dangerous if someone had malicious intent. Whenever anyone translates an extensions we are totally in their hands to do it honestly as, for the majority of extension developers, we would not know what is in there.
Letting anybody (who's registered, at least) upload translations was DavidIQ's suggestion, not mine. However, unless you have a translation verification process, don't you run the same risk even with "official" translators?

I presume that translations are checked for any malicious code, but does anybody verify that the translations are reasonably correct before they're released?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 am

Pony99CA wrote:I presume that translations are checked for any malicious code, but does anybody verify that the translations are reasonably correct before they're released?
That could only be checked by someone who knows both english and the language of the translation. Which would probably mean that the "translations validation team" would need to have dozens of members...
Of course one could check it against Google Translate, but for Dutch (my native language) I've never seen that more accurate than ± 70-80% which is good enough to understand, but way too far off to validate against.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:48 pm

arod-1 wrote:what happens when the extension author publishes a new version, which includes a new language variable? does this automatically renders all existing translations "invalid"?
Notifications to those that have an approved extension translation would be sent but a new extension version wouldn't render previous translations invalid. We might be able to make this even more thorough and state in the notification any language changes (comparing previous version with new version's "en" language).
arod-1 wrote:and when someone (either the original translator or someone else) wants to fix it by translating the extra variable, what is the process? do users have access to "unapproved" translations so they can correct the problem(s), or will every translator need to start from scratch?
Unapproved translations wouldn't be visible by the average user so someone wanting to translate would assume there is no existing translation. If someone that did not do the original translation submits a translation it would require a manual review to find out why the translation was submitted by someone else. If it's obvious that the original translator is just not active anymore we would just approve it. If there is some other reason that would have to be reviewed. If it's the original/first submitter and everything checks out via the automated checks the translation would be automatically approved.
arod-1 wrote:once this (or something else) becomes the "official guideline", it would be nice it it can be advertised to the localized communities.
We would, of course, do this if we follow through on this proposal/idea.
Pony99CA wrote:
david63 wrote:
Letting anybody (who's registered, at least) upload translations was DavidIQ's suggestion, not mine. However, unless you have a translation verification process, don't you run the same risk even with "official" translators?

I presume that translations are checked for any malicious code, but does anybody verify that the translations are reasonably correct before they're released?
That is the whole point of the automated process, which we already have for submitted extensions. Translations would simply be run through a language pre-validator and get automatically approved if nothing funny is going on. Obviously if something is detected by the automated process then the language submission would be either automatically denied or denied manually after being put "on hold" or in some sort of pending status for actual review.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”