[Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Heo32

Re: [Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Post by Heo32 »

Valid points. I hope this can be added to the manual task list.
stevemaury wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm I went to your board and looked for an hour or so, but did not see the women without underwear.
Allow using Content-Security-Policy without unsafe-inline • Content-Security-Policy
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

As per Re: [Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan from almost 3 years ago this release/support plan (isn't "schedule" more appropriate?) has proven to be worthless, as nobody can plan with it - phpBB should dump it or stop argumenting "it's done when it's done" or "volunteer developers" - after all this was known before coming up with that plan.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

I fully understand and appreciate that the phpBB development team are all volunteers and phpBB releases are made when they are ready.

Since all indication are that the phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan seems to have become obsolete (abandoned), I'm trying to read the tea leaves as it were to get a sense of what to expect for the phpBB 3.3 release stream so that I can have a rough plan of when to expect when work items on my site.

Again, I cannot say it enough, I fully understand and appreciate that the phpBB development team are all volunteers and phpBB releases are made when they are ready.

That said, if I use the phpBB 3.2 experience as a timeline guide I come up with: That last announcement (pre COVID-19) stated
Marc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 am As phpBB 3.3 provides a clear update path with minimal breaking changes, phpBB 3.2 will directly enter a reduced maintenance mode during which it will only receive changes for major issues as well as any security issues. The timetable for maintenance and security fixes is as follows:
  • End of Maintenance (EOM): April 6th, 2020
  • End of Life (EOL): July 6th, 2020
Having reported a few bugs in the tracker and watching activity is seems that there is solid evidence that there will be a phpBB 3.2.10.

Two questions arise. First question, has the phpBB 3.2.x EOM and EOL timeline changed?

Second question, can board admins expect that phpBB 3.3.x releases have a high likelihood of following the rough timeline of phpBB 3.2 and therefore that phpBB 3.3.1 likely won't appear until summer time?

My background is software development, so I'm not looking for anyone to go out on a limb and commit to a detailed schedule. I'm more looking for a high level view, i.e. quarterly releases are intended, so that I can plan ahead rather than react when releases are made.

I've made the occasional code contribution to phpBB and checked Get Involved and couldn't find anything about potentially helping out of the QA side of things if that would help improve the timeframe to get releases out the door. I do check [3.x] Discussion - Development Discussion Board to see if Release Candidates are available and try to test them and provide feedback whenever possible.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
david63

Post by david63 »

Going from the increased activity on GitHub over the last week or so I would anticipate 3.3.1 before the end of the month.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

You are correct, there will be a phpBB 3.2.10. Currently there is no change on the schedule for EOM and EOL. Most pull requests as of now should start going against the 3.3.x branch and we're only a bit behind with finishing off the review of still open changes for 3.2.10. Once that has been released, further maintenance activity for 3.2 will be phased out.
In general, EOM and EOL dates should not be seen as dates after which there will be no further work on the codebase but rather as internal milestones for shifting development work to newer branches.

The phpBB 3.2 release timeline was certainly not according to a fixed release frequency. Abiding by a certain fixed schedule is somewhat hard to achieve for an open source project like phpBB. Nonetheless, there has been some internal work aimed at improving the release process itself.
From my point of view, I think the goal should be to get closer to something like a quarterly or even a release every two months.

As David mentioned, we're currently working towards the next release.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Thanks david63 and Marc for the updates and insights.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
TexTHKM

Post by TexTHKM »

Marc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:54 pm You are correct, there will be a phpBB 3.2.10. Currently there is no change on the schedule for EOM and EOL. Most pull requests as of now should start going against the 3.3.x branch and we're only a bit behind with finishing off the review of still open changes for 3.2.10. Once that has been released, further maintenance activity for 3.2 will be phased out.
In general, EOM and EOL dates should not be seen as dates after which there will be no further work on the codebase but rather as internal milestones for shifting development work to newer branches.

The phpBB 3.2 release timeline was certainly not according to a fixed release frequency. Abiding by a certain fixed schedule is somewhat hard to achieve for an open source project like phpBB. Nonetheless, there has been some internal work aimed at improving the release process itself.
From my point of view, I think the goal should be to get closer to something like a quarterly or even a release every two months.

As David mentioned, we're currently working towards the next release.
Is there any timeline for phpBB 4 at this point? Or when we might know more about it?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I would imagine that any and all news about phpbb4 and anything else would be found at the area51 board.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:04 pm I would imagine that any and all news about phpbb4 and anything else would be found at the area51 board.
Indeed. New forums for phpBB 4 were created not too long ago.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”