[Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
david63

Re: [Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Post by david63 »

«THÖMÅS®©» wrote:Will the extensions for 3.1 be "usable" on 3.2
Some will and some will not, but the majority will probably be OK
«THÖMÅS®©» wrote:and 3.3
No idea
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

colnector wrote:End of life for 3.0.x is upon us but 3.1.x is still missing many language packs?[/b]
If your language isn't available, you can always request and do it yourself!
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
colnector

Post by colnector »

Elias wrote:If your language isn't available, you can always request and do it yourself!
Good idea but I'm not asking for a single language for myself but rather run a site that's translated to 62 languages.
Ger

Post by Ger »

phpBB originally only ships with the default English language. All further translations need to come from local contributors. So in case you need a specific language not yet available on phpBB.com, I'd suggest to seek local support or search on Github.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
colnector

Post by colnector »

Ger wrote:phpBB originally only ships with the default English language. All further translations need to come from local contributors. So in case you need a specific language not yet available on phpBB.com, I'd suggest to seek local support or search on Github.
Thanks for explaining. I think it's one of the shortcomings of phpBB, not understanding the importance of availability of proper translations. Having a proper multilingual platform doesn't end by offering the option to translate it.
Our own website is offered in 62 languages which are translated and maintained by a huge team of volunteers. phpBB needs much less than that as updated to the translations themselves are more rare.
I was trying to get in touch with the person responsible over translations and got nowhere unfortunately.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

colnector wrote:I was trying to get in touch with the person responsible over translations and got nowhere unfortunately.
Not sure what you expected to accomplish with that? As was explained the translations are done by volunteers, not by the phpBB teams. If there isn't someone that offers up their translation services for a particular language there isn't anything else we can realistically do. It is also likely that many of the 3.0 translations are incomplete and not up to date if they're missing from 3.1 since that probably means the translator is no longer active.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
colnector

Post by colnector »

The person responsible over managing the translations and volunteers of all languages (not a specific language) should be one of the phpBB team. It seems there's currently nobody who's actually pro-actively overseeing it and that's why things are as bad as they are. Who to talk to about trying to change that?
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

colnector wrote:The person responsible over managing the translations and volunteers of all languages (not a specific language) should be one of the phpBB team. It seems there's currently nobody who's actually pro-actively overseeing it and that's why things are as bad as they are. Who to talk to about trying to change that?
Any one of the managers really or even the entire managers list. Outside of suggesting that we somehow recruit translators, which is unlikely and unrealistic, we would be happy to hear your suggestions.
colnector

Post by colnector »

Colnect, our community, has hundreds of volunteers who translate it to 62 languages - http://colnect.com/en/collectors/list/team/translators

There's a translations manager who supervises them, a volunteer as well.

When people contribute to something they love, they enjoy the process and the results. phpBB has a huge community and considering there's a lot less to translate in it and its updates relatively infrequently, there's no reason for this not to get done. Colnect can assist with that but we need to know if there's anyone who could actually be contacted about it. Where's the list of "managers"? I've PMed Raimon some time ago and got no response.
david63

Post by david63 »

colnector wrote:Where's the list of "managers"?
Try "The team" in the footer
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
colnector

Post by colnector »

Sent PM, let's see if anyone here wants to see this move forward. Thanks.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

colnector wrote:Sent PM, let's see if anyone here wants to see this move forward. Thanks.
You sent a PM to the Management Team? Strange. I don't see anything in my PM inbox...

In any case I think if we had a platform wherein anyone can contribute translations by simply entering them into a form/system and these get reviewed that might work.
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

It might work yes. But we will have to write this tool ourselves because none currently available fits our needs (as far as I know)
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote:In any case I think if we had a platform wherein anyone can contribute translations by simply entering them into a form/system and these get reviewed that might work.
nicofuma wrote:It might work yes. But we will have to write this tool ourselves because none currently available fits our needs (as far as I know)
Something like LingoHub ?
That's not free though.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
colnector

Post by colnector »

DavidIQ wrote:You sent a PM to the Management Team? Strange. I don't see anything in my PM inbox...
Chosen two people over there. As you're a part of discussion here, I didn't see a point in a PM.
DavidIQ wrote:In any case I think if we had a platform wherein anyone can contribute translations by simply entering them into a form/system and these get reviewed that might work.
To my understanding, phpBB already has the tools needed to allow translations so no need to create/find a tool to do something as complex as on Colnect. All that's needed is someone of the phpBB team who'd take the role of being pro-actively responsible for translations and translators. From what I see, the biggest problem is that phpBB issued some pages about translations and from that point on awaits passively for people to step forward and translate well. This isn't a good solution and I think it's evident considering how many languages still don't have 3.1.x support at all.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”