[Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
colnector

Re: [Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Post by colnector »

Nice to see some other members coming up here and clarifying the need for good and comprehensive translations management. I still believe this is a very important issue that's perhaps not regarded as such due to the abundance of people here who have a good command of the English language.

I personally tried to offer the help of our community that has vast experience in the field. Unfortunately, doesn't seem anyone in the core team found it particularly needed or useful. I did get an initial reply from Marshalrusty but when I responded, I didn't get a reply. That was over 2 days ago. I did get much public criticism over my suggestions and one member even found it fine to be offensive towards me, something that nobody else commented about.

Let me conclude my part here. I greatly thank the phpBB team for a fine product but have no further desire to spend my time trying to help it. On Colnect collectors community, based on the help of hundreds of volunteers from around the world, we do our best to support and cultivate those who wish to help. Here I felt like my attempts were a burden. So I'm out and wish you all the best.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

colnector wrote:Nice to see some other members coming up here and clarifying the need for good and comprehensive translations management. I still believe this is a very important issue that's perhaps not regarded as such due to the abundance of people here who have a good command of the English language.

I personally tried to offer the help of our community that has vast experience in the field. Unfortunately, doesn't seem anyone in the core team found it particularly needed or useful. I did get an initial reply from Marshalrusty but when I responded, I didn't get a reply. That was over 2 days ago. I did get much public criticism over my suggestions and one member even found it fine to be offensive towards me, something that nobody else commented about.

Let me conclude my part here. I greatly thank the phpBB team for a fine product but have no further desire to spend my time trying to help it. On Colnect collectors community, based on the help of hundreds of volunteers from around the world, we do our best to support and cultivate those who wish to help. Here I felt like my attempts were a burden. So I'm out and wish you all the best.
Only two team members have actually replied to your conversation, neither of which have done what you just mentioned. The rest have been community members. Making the distinction is pretty easy so I'm not sure why you'd say something misleading like this...
AmigoJack wrote:This is a problem that could be solved easily, yet nobody cares. Why is here not even one single group which users are allowed to send a PM to? On my board we allow this so whoever comes first can read the PM.
The Management Team has always been an option for sending PMs to.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
colnector

Post by colnector »

DavidIQ wrote:Only two team members have actually replied to your conversation, neither of which have done what you just mentioned. The rest have been community members. Making the distinction is pretty easy so I'm not sure why you'd say something misleading like this...
Sorry if I haven't been clear. The "member" who has been offensive is a member of this forum, not you nor darcie, the two "Team members" I'm guess you're referring to. That nobody found it relevant to comment to the that member (not "team") about being clearly offensive shows something about how it is here. I really started with the best intentions and the motivation was well drained from me. Best of luck and I won't reply in this topic anymore. Thanks
Last edited by colnector on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

DavidIQ wrote:The Management Team has always been an option for sending PMs to
No, never. And still isn't. Currently I'm unable to select a group as a PM recipient:
Attachments
No group available as PM recipient
No group available as PM recipient
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Apparently it's been fixed?
Noname.jpg
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

No. I just never enter <!-- IF S_ALLOW_MASS_PM --> in /styles/prosilver/template/posting_pm_header.html, hence my accurate screenshot.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

DavidIQ wrote:The Management Team has always been an option for sending PMs to.
AmigoJack wrote:No, never. And still isn't. Currently I'm unable to select a group as a PM recipient
I don't have the option either...
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
My little corner of the world, where I sometimes post things documented from my job.
david63

Post by david63 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Apparently it's been fixed?
Not for everyone it hasn't.

It is a group permission setting so I suspect that one of the groups that you are in (Former Team Members?) has that permission set whereas Registered Users does not.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I think there is confusion about sending a PM to a group versus sending PMs to the individual group members.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

colnector wrote:Nice to see some other members coming up here and clarifying the need for good and comprehensive translations management. I still believe this is a very important issue that's perhaps not regarded as such due to the abundance of people here who have a good command of the English language.

Honestly 2 days it's a rather short period. Especially knowing how busy Marshalrusty can be. Don't forget everyone here is working on its free time. About the member being aggressive as you said, you can't know if anything has append because it's happening in private (you are not a partisan of public lynch, do you?). You can't also expect anything done if you never reported the post in question (I don't know if you did, I'm not a moderator)

You are talking about sending a message to the whole team? But if I'm referring to your previous posts you sent a message to 2 teams members, not all of them. And, again, 2 days is a rather short period.
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

nicofuma wrote:you sent a message to 2 teams members, not all of them
That's why I brought up the issue of not being able to PM a group - we're even just able to send a PM to only one recipient (trying to add more than one results in an error message), so it's not even trivial to us to send PMs to all of them.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

HPK wrote:phpBB 3.2 Beta 1 is now on Github :)
In the past people have complained things move too slowly here at phpBB, for me, things are going too quickly.
Can't update to 3.1 because I'm waiting for extensions and a style still in dev and before long the development for those extensions (for 3.1) may get waylaid and the focus will be on getting them passed off and in the database for 3.2
This isn't a major issue for me personally, I'll just wait for such a time when the extensions are passed for whatever version it's for and update then. It's just that I'm getting a gut feeling that there's gonna be many board owners getting left in the wake as the phpBB ship sails over the horizon.
david63

Post by david63 »

The majority of extensions for 3.1 will work seamlessly on 3.2
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

A large minority of extensions are struggling to work from one version of 3.1.x to the next version of 3.1.x so I don't know how you can say that.
The bigger the extension, the more likely it is to not work too - and these are the ones people will be waiting for.
This is just an observation, it seems phpBB core is running faster than extensions can be validated.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

I have only seen 1 extension which broke in between 3.1 releases. Most (Even pretty large extensions) work fine without changes needed in 3.2

Return to “phpBB Discussion”