[Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: [Discuss] phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan

Post by HiFiKabin »

Korkel wrote:I've got some questions about the 3.0.X versions.

May 2015 - 3.0.x End of Maintenance < Will that mean the Styles/MODs forums will be closed or how must I see this next month?
End of Maintenance - End of Maintenance means, that we will no longer fix bugs in this version. Only security patches and security releases will be made available. New extensions and styles will not be accepted for this version anymore. Updates to published extensions and styles will still be validated.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

And furthermore:
Release and update policy wrote:When phpBB 3.0 has reached EOM the above will apply and new modificiations (MODs) will no longer be accepted for submission into the customisation database whilst updates to existing MODs will be allowed. No new topics will be allowed in the MOD Reqeusts or MODs in Development forums. When 3.0 has reached EOL no new MOD updates will be permitted, they will be hidden from Titania (although downloadable still through the MOD Releases Forum) and the MOD 3.0 forums will be locked.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

naderman wrote:Currently the planned schedule is as follows:
•Nov 2014 - 3.1.0 Release
•May 2015 - 3.0.x End of Maintenance
•Nov 2015 - 3.0.x End of Life, 3.2.0 Release
•May 2016 - 3.1.x End of Maintenance
•Nov 2016 - 3.1.x End of Life, 3.3.0 Release
•May 2017 - 3.2.x End of Maintenance
Given that there are no "End of Support" dates there, does that mean that phpBB 3.0.x will be supported at least through May 2017? Or does it just mean that the EOS date hasn't been decided yet?

I also agree with some that 6 months seems a bit early for End of Maintenance. How long was phpBB 2.0 maintained after 3.0 was released?

If I were doing this, I'd have EOM at one year after the new 3.x release, EOL at two years after and EOS at 3 years after.

Finally, I presume that exceptions can be made if, for example, phpBB 3.2.0 doesn't actually release in November 2015 or if phpBB 3.1.x was released on 5/31/2016 but introduced a critical bug.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

Pony99CA wrote:Given that there are no "End of Support" dates there, does that mean that phpBB 3.0.x will be supported at least through May 2017? Or does it just mean that the EOS date hasn't been decided yet?
phpBB Release, Security and Support Plan wrote:Currently there are no specific End of Support dates but the Support Team will support the versions at the very least until the End of Life of the respective version. Support may be provided past this point and the support team will give at least 6 months notice before the End of Support for a particular version.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon »

End of Maintenance = no more minor updates or code updates. Critical bugs and security exploits will still be fixed, but there will be no more minor versions, cosmetic fixes or fixes that aren't critical. This doesn't mean support will stop.

End of Life = no more updates or fixes. They still may patch major exploits. This still doesn't mean support will stop - that's up to phpBB.

"Extended support" can be offered for as long as they deem necessary. Remember Windows 98 extended support only ended in 2006 (8 years later) and Windows XP didn't end until 2014 (13 years later)? I am by no measure comparing phpBB to Windows, but that's just an example.
Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Stallyon wrote:End of Maintenance = no more minor updates or code updates. Critical bugs and security exploits will still be fixed, but there will be no more minor versions, cosmetic fixes or fixes that aren't critical.
That part about "critical bugs" seems like a big assumption on your part.
naderman wrote:End of Maintenance means, that we will no longer fix bugs in this version. Only security patches and security releases will be made available.
That sounds like no bug fixes other than security patches will be made, regardless of how "critical" somebody thinks the bugs may be.
Stallyon wrote:End of Life = no more updates or fixes. They still may patch major exploits.
That "may" also seems like a big assumption on your part.
naderman wrote:End of Life means, that no security patches will be provided anymore.
That sounds like no patches will be made, period.

I'm sure that they can do both if they want to, but I wouldn't count on it. And as I don't see a phpBB Team badge in your profile, I think that people should be skeptical of your interpretation unless a team member concurs.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
david63

Post by david63 »

Has this timetable slipped already?

May 2015 has come and gone but there has been no announcement about EOM for 3.0 and MODS are still being accepted into the Mods database.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

david63 wrote:Has this timetable slipped already?

May 2015 has come and gone but there has been no announcement about EOM for 3.0 and MODS are still being accepted into the Mods database.
Thanks for the reminder. The MODs in Development and MOD Requests forums are now set to not allow new topics as announced. The CDB shouldn't allow new contributions either.

MOD updates are still allowed.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Shouldn't there be a sticky thread in those forums so users will know the policy and why they can't submit new requests / mods?
david63

Post by david63 »

koraldon wrote:Shouldn't there be a sticky thread in those forums so users will know the policy and why they can't submit new requests / mods?
There is - it is in the "Forum rules" panel
WHY YOU CAN NO LONGER CREATE NEW TOPICS: READ
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello,
by DavidIQ » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:41 am

As announced, the permissions for the 3.0.x MOD Requests and the 3.0.x MODs in Development forums have now been modified to not allow new topics to be created, although replies are still allowed. New MODs will no longer be accepted into the CDB from this point forward. We will only be allowing updates to already approved MODs.

P.S. MODs that are still in the queue will be processed accordingly. If they are denied no further submissions for it will be accepted if the MOD does not meet the above stated requirements.

viewtopic.php?p=14098361#p14098361
Apparently one has judged the time factor, which is operators to switch to 3.0.14 or higher 3.1.x available wrong? :cry: In which forum area, a change must therefore be discussed from 3.0 to 3.1. ?

Thanks
Last edited by Talk19Zehn on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Respect and thanks going to Sir Tim Berners-Lee
My own works: Ongray-Design-de | Rhea, Ongray-Design-de | Proteus
Take a look into some bundles: VT-Theme
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Talk19Zehn wrote:Hello,
Apparently one has judged the time factor, which is operators to switch to 3.1.x available wrong? :cry:
Why?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Talk19Zehn wrote:Apparently one has judged the time factor, which is operators to switch to 3.0.14 or higher 3.1.x available wrong? :cry: In which forum area, a change must therefore be discussed from 3.0 to 3.1. ?

Thanks
If you're trying to upgrade your forum from 3.0 to 3.1 the 3.1 support forums are still open, as are the 3.0 support forums. What you quoted has nothing to do with the Support forums.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hi DavidIQ and yeah, I have your contribution misunderstood and apologize my mistake gladly. At first I was pretty confused. Sorry!
Now I looked directly .. here: viewforum.php?f=81

Thank´s :D
Respect and thanks going to Sir Tim Berners-Lee
My own works: Ongray-Design-de | Rhea, Ongray-Design-de | Proteus
Take a look into some bundles: VT-Theme
«THÖMÅS®©»

Post by «THÖMÅS®©» »

What I am hoping is that when the updates come for 3.2 from 3.1 and so on, that the extensions will still work. otherwise it will be a huge challenge getting them to work again and once more the mod authors will have to update/port the mods over to 3.2.x. The fact that the design and ability of 3.1 has got me intrigued is something, but I am curious if the mods from 3.1 will work on 3.2 and so on.

Once others have a board, and I have been running phpBB since 2006 and at the time I was running 2.0.23, I know how incredibly complex and frustrating mod installs can be although they have been made easier by virtue of the "extensions" instead of faffing about modifying code in many of the different files, which can take a novice like myself ages to complete. The Advanced Block Mod took me 90 minutes to install, and now it would be great as an extension to 3.1.x. That mod in my view is a sure fire way to keep spammers trying to post thier drivel about illegal and fake products on your board. I have had 3 people get through that mod, but they never activated the account and so never posted, I just banned the IP and email and reported it as a spammer with the mod giving me that ability.

My point is that the mods that are available for one version should be made to work on another, or ported as an extension to the new version. I am sure that a huge number of phpBB users will agree with me on this point. I understand and accept that it is not always possible, but I am sure that mods for say phpBB 3.0.x can be ported to 3.1.x and 3.2.x and so on?

I believe that the additions will be a benefit to the phpBB community and as a whole, widen the features that phpBB can have and enhance its ability at the same time.

Note, I am not able to port over the mods as I have very little knowledge of the php code and am only able to do basic things, like update my boards, and modify simple HTML code on the style files. I am sure this is understandable.
“No, this trick won't work... How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?” - Albert Einstein
"For every action has is an equal and opposite reaction". - Sir Isaac Newton
"In honor there is hope" - Alaska State Troopers

Owner & President @ =DN= Dark Nexus Multi-Gaming Clan

Return to “phpBB Discussion”