SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo

Post by HiFiKabin »

IIRC Google ranks sites by relevant content and popularity.

Having good relevant content that people want to read (ie by clicking on the link) will increase your ranking over anything else.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

HiFiKabin wrote:IIRC Google ranks sites by relevant content and popularity.

Having good relevant content that people want to read (ie by clicking on the link) will increase your ranking over anything else.
Edited my previous post, just done a quick test for search terms relevant to your forum (just an example, as you posted here and included a link to your forums)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it is much more than just a "machine". I think maybe you are the one that needs to read up on SEO and how to use it the best way.

yes, SEO is important for traffic from the search engines. yes there are things that can be tweaked in phpbb to make it better for SEO. however, things like meta tags and pretty urls are simply not going to make any kind of a noticeable difference in your listings in the SERPs

the things that make the most difference are relevant , up to date content and relevant keywords in the places that google thinks are important.

google can certainly tell what content is relevant to the search terms the viewer enters in the search box.

google will rank a site higher in the SERPs if it has the most relevant up to date content about those terms.

the rest of it is just maybe a little icing on the cake.

if you want to quote something relevant to what google does or does not want/need then you should quote google and even then you have to make sure it is current info because you can quote things that google has said in the past that is no longer relevant.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

So what would you recommend? I am not sure when HiFiKabin started his forum but to verify what Mick stated, if you search for "SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo" this very topic is number two from the top.
Last edited by RMcGirr83 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

koraldon wrote:Hifi music forum - hifikabin appears in position 11, which is not good, but can probably be improved.
Comes up as number 1 for me.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

RMcGirr83 wrote:So what would you recommend? I am not sure when HiFiKabin started his forum but to verify what Mick stated, if you search for "SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo" this very topic is number two from the top.
KevC wrote:
koraldon wrote:Hifi music forum - hifikabin appears in position 11, which is not good, but can probably be improved.
Comes up as number 1 for me.
#1 on both Google and Startpage (lower on Bing and Yahoo but how many people actually use them these days?)

The forum was only started in Feb 14 and has relatively few members compared to the 'big boys' in the Music/HiFi area. Yes, its niche, but it fills that niche nicely
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Hifi music forum - hifikabin - comes up as number one
Hifi music forum - comes up as number five
Hifi music - comes up on page 10
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

I didn't search for hifi music forum hifikabin, as that would obviously come up as number one.

I will have time for a longer response tomorrow, but this is the change I saw in my website (http://www.pundak.co.il) after starting to pay attention to SEO (friendly URL's, correct use of H1, meta descriptions, link building, social sharing, etc). That is within two years of using - as you can see I had very big increase of new sessions, due to more organic search coming in.
The graph is year on year, for 1st quarter 2015 vs. 2013.
The content remained the same quantity and quality wise, I only updated the structure of the content to conform with SEO (as detailed above). And that is for my personal (and only) website, for which I devote 95% of my time for content, with 5% for technical stuff, including SEO.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

koraldon wrote:I didn't search for hifi music forum hifikabin, as that would obviously come up as number one.
Neither did I.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-22 at 21.25.30.png
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

RMcGirr83 wrote:So what would you recommend? I am not sure when HiFiKabin started his forum but to verify what Mick stated, if you search for "SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo" this very topic is number two from the top.
For the search term, I won't be surprised, as that is an exact match with page title. Also google tends to push up new pages in the short term.
But if you will search for a more common "SEO friendly URLS" you won't find this page - that is probably a desired search term.

But even that, the descriptions is no good, as it is
"SEO friendly urls and meta tags for seo. Postby admirernepali » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:30 am. Why phpbb3.1 hasn't covered seo part yet? I was expecting at least ..."
It should just takes the first post start, there is an extension for that, but in my opinion this needs to be build it into phpbb.
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Well for me it is:
hifi.jpg
Explanation is either due to different location, or if you visited that website and google tracked it (they tend to show sites you visited in the past near the top)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Pretty sure I haven't been to it before. So I guess his SEO is working pretty good.....
Cheap UK Hosting
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

KevC wrote:Pretty sure I haven't been to it before. So I guess his SEO is working pretty good.....
In my case it is different, even when using google chrome "hidden" browser mode.
Could you try that and see if you get the same search results (it should disable any preference in your search results due to previous browsing).
Otherwise, if you are from the UK, than there is a good chance that it boosts it, the same way my first results are local (Israeli) sites.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

koraldon wrote:<snip>
Otherwise, if you are from the UK, than there is a good chance that it boosts it, the same way my first results are local (Israeli) sites.
Well, obviously that will happen. Israeli sites are of relevance to you but not to me. Like I said previously RELEVANT.

So, to put the nail in this one once and for all (maybe)

Browsing with Hide My Ass (proxy ip so the search engine is not aware of where I am) and using StartPage (which, unlike Google etc, does not store any previous search results you may have made) HiFiKabin is #4 (and using Hi Fi Music Forum its #3

image post
admirernepali

Post by admirernepali »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:phpbb is not a cms it is a bulletin board script.

you can add new pages from the admin panel if you wish.

robert
That is awesome, but so far I couldn't do it? Could you pinpoint me plez.
Don't be pirate. Stolen software may steal your identity.
http://www.nepaliexpert.com/ | https://au.linkedin.com/pub/adarsh-khatri/53/a33/81

Return to “phpBB Discussion”