Default Like and Tank you system

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
markoroots

Default Like and Tank you system

Post by markoroots »

Hi there,
guys don't you think that the Like and Thank you plugin must be of default in Phpbb?
All forums of the world have it so why these basilar plugins are not just integrate in Phpbb?
This will be better also for who install for the first time the forum and see that there aren't many basilar functions in Phpbb sure will not make a great impression.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Default Like and Tank you system

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

phpbb is now and has been for years, the most popular bulletin board system in the world, free or paid.

so, I kind of doubt that not having something like a "like' system as default will really hurt phpbb at all.

and, you statement that
All forums of the world have it
is simply not true.

considering the hundreds of thousands of phpbb users that never come here and don't even know what a MOD is and therefore have never installed a "thanks" or "like" MOD, I would have to say the the majority of phpbb users don't really care about it.

now, having said all that, there are many many requests for this type of MOD and now extension.

however, the whole point of phpbb has always been to keep it to the basics of a bulletin board /dicusssion board system. if you want that type of add on then you can install it. however, the rest of us that don't care about this type of thing do not have to have our boards all cluttered up with unwanted bloat.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Default Like and Thank You System

Post by Pony99CA »

As Robert said, it should be an Extension. However, I agree that it's an important feature for many boards and fits in the bulletin board paradigm, so it should be an officially-supported Extension.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. »

Not too long ago, phpbb didn't have a built-in attachment system. We had to use mods in order to get that feature.

Some features are now essential to keep a forum thriving as a community. Heck even Facebook has the "like" feature. :)

I agree. The thank/like system is important, especially to keep "support" type of forums clean from single "thanks" replies. Using this feature will help with that as well.

Plus it also encourages members to keep on providing support, since they see they get a nod that they are being thanked by other members from the community.
david63

Post by david63 »

M.O.B. wrote:Some features are now essential to keep a forum thriving as a community.
They are - but personally I do not consider Like/Thank You one of those.

This is the whole point of extensions - you add the bits that you need to the core product to make the board work the way that you want.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

is there a mod like this for 3.0.12?
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

messikecil wrote:is there a mod like this for 3.0.12?
Yes.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

Pond Life wrote:
messikecil wrote:is there a mod like this for 3.0.12?
Yes.
can you give me the link? thanks
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
messikecil

Post by messikecil »

what was that?
david63

Post by david63 »

messikecil wrote:
what was that?
Looks to me as showing you how to do a search
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”