Micropayments For Threads?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Micropayments For Threads?

Post by Mick »

If you're at the development stage I would suggest this discussion topic is closed. If you require assistance with your code you should be asking in [3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion or [3.1.x] Extension Writers Discussion depending on what platform you're working with.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Xerographica

Post by Xerographica »

Mick wrote:If you're at the development stage I would suggest this discussion topic is closed.
Pony99CA and I are still discussing whether internal or external wallets are better.
Mick wrote:If you require assistance with your code you should be asking in [3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion or [3.1.x] Extension Writers Discussion depending on what platform you're working with.
I don't know which platform I'm working on. I'm changing the database and files to facilitate micropayments.

Why not have a category for Ajax and another category for SQL?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Xerographica wrote:Why not have a category for Ajax and another category for SQL?
Because these forums are for phpBB support, Ajax and SQL have their own support forums.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Xerographica

Post by Xerographica »

I finished programming a very basic, no frills, phpbb micropayments forum. Here's a screenshot..

$9.35 = the amount of money in my wallet
$0.57 = the amount of money allocated to the post

Here's how it works...

1. A member (Bob) paypals you $10 dollars and you update his wallet (a column in the user table)
2. Bob sees that Sarah has just submitted an awesome post. He clicks the quarter button beneath her post and a quarter is transferred, via ajax, from his wallet to her wallet and the value of her post increases by a quarter.
3. When Sarah wants to cash out, she PMs you the amount she wants and you paypal it to her.

Clearly it would be better if the paypal parts were automated.

As the owner of the forum, you make money when somebody allocates money to their own posts. Theoretically, the income from post "boosting" should vastly exceed any income from banner ads... hence entirely eliminating the need for banner ads. And there's no ad blocker for forum posts.

Post "boosting" only makes sense though when you can sort posts/threads by value. Everybody's going to want to sort by value. And everybody who bothers to post content will want their content to be seen by more, rather than less, people. I haven't added the sorting by value functionality yet because I wanted to first establish how much interest there is in facilitating micropayments for forums.

Here's the demo... Micropayments Forum.

If you register, some money will already be in your wallet so you can see how it works.

Would you like to see this micropayments feature turned into a full Extension/MOD? Let me know what your thoughts are.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

What if the users use different currency?

If this was going to make money don't you think facebook would have implemented it already?
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Xerographica

Post by Xerographica »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pm What if the users use different currency?
I'm guessing it would be like choosing your time zone when you join a forum.
RMcGirr83 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:52 pmIf this was going to make money don't you think facebook would have implemented it already?
Facebook currently allows you to "boost" a post. The more money that you spend on a post, the more people who see it. It basically makes it really easy for anybody to advertise anything. My idea was kinda like crowdfunded advertising. You could spend $4 dollars to boost a post and I could spend $3 dollars to boost the same post. We would essentially pool our funding to help the post reach a wider audience.

I'm pretty sure that you'd want to know the total amount of money spent on a post. Then you could filter your Facebook feed... "Only show me the posts that are worth more than $10 dollars". This would filter out nearly all of the frivolous posts.

The coolest thing about the internet is that it makes it really easy for people to share stuff. The biggest problem with the internet is that it makes it really easy for people to share stuff. The solution is to make it really easy for people to use their money to help determine the importance of stuff. Then we won't overlook the most important stuff.

For more info check out this thread... prioritization.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Xerographica wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 am I'm pretty sure that you'd want to know the total amount of money spent on a post. Then you could filter your Facebook feed... "Only show me the posts that are worth more than $10 dollars". This would filter out nearly all of the frivolous posts.
Nice one, the frivolity (read value) of a post is now directly linked to the height of the donation? My 2cents opinion : actually no, forget that, this topic isn't worth it.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”