Discuss: The return of the database / Recent Downtime

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Discuss: The return of the database / Recent Downtime

Post by MichaelC » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:43 am

Please discuss the announcement and blog post here.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

optimusvault
Name: Aaron

Re: Discuss: The return of the database

Post by optimusvault » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:51 am

Announcement
The requested topic does not exist.
Cheers,
Aaron

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Discuss: The return of the database

Post by MichaelC » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:53 am

optimusvault wrote:Announcement
The requested topic does not exist.
We post these topics to get the link, then edit it into the announcement just before approving it. You were just very quick and caught us in between those two things. It's up there now. :)
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

optimusvault
Name: Aaron

Re: Discuss: The return of the database / Recent Downtime

Post by optimusvault » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:55 am

I see :p

Thanks for fixing all of the issues. Sucks phpBB was down as I missed you guys! But glad you're back now :)
Cheers,
Aaron

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:51 am

I figured someone just tripped over the plug on their way out the door for another beer.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:42 am

I still think that they don't feed the hamsters enough

SiteSplat

Post by SiteSplat » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 am

Looks like there is most likely some DB tables corruption around. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2286276

Shows 7 replies , but there are 2 posts in total. Older stuff seems to be in limbo :)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:39 am

:cry: but at least we have ssl instead of a good database backup plan.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:02 am

SiteSplat wrote:Looks like there is most likely some DB tables corruption around. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2286276

Shows 7 replies , but there are 2 posts in total. Older stuff seems to be in limbo :)
Yeah, that's because some posts made to those topics are missing but we'd rather leave odd post counts like that in place so that we can identify where posts disappeared from in the future (such as realising that a post is a reply to a post that is no longer there as opposed to just a random post). I don't think a few off counts hurt?

But thanks for pointing this out. :)
RMcGirr83 wrote::cry: but at least we have ssl instead of a good database backup plan.
This is handled by OSL as previously stated and it was a rare situation in that the backups are taken from SQL2 and it was fixing SQL2 so backups could recommence that then caused issues to SQL1.

OSL are making numerous changes to ensure that their backup infrastructure is a lot more steadfast (As you can read about here) and we are also working on making our own daily database backups for redundancy in light of this incident (so we will have two independent backup systems backing up to different locations). OSL did have a good backup plan in place (It is considered good/common industry practice to backup from your slave/second SQL server in order to prevent load on your primary SQL1) but of course in this rare edge case that proved problematic which is why we will be working to make it an even greater backup plan. :)

I might add that SSL is important to us as we highly value our users security and privacy, but requires relatively little work to implement (A few uploads and a few lines added to a virtual host as you know) compared to our new backup infrastructure which we are looking to implement which requires the setting up of various new systems and a lot of man hours in order to ensure it's reliability. Our number one priority is our commitment to your security and, by extension, the security of the data you put on phpbb.com.

Ger

Post by Ger » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 am

RMcGirr83 wrote::cry: but at least we have ssl instead of a good database backup plan.
Well there's a constructive comment :?

Those things have absolutely no correlation. Why nag? Situation is bad enough as it is and the nice people providing all this for us are working to improve it.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

RMcGirr83
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 am

It isn't a "nag" it is an observation. If it were my "toy", which it isn't, I would ensure that I had a good db backup plan in place. Redundancy is nice but clearly wasn't enough in this case. I still, to this day, do not understand the need for ssl on a forum site. But that's a discussion for another topic/day.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

robertm96

Post by robertm96 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Feed that hamster please :D :D :D

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:11 pm

OSL wrote:As mentioned previously, mysql1 and mysql2 were unexpectedly set up in master-master replication configuration. Therefore, though slave replication on mysql2 was stopped, mysql2 was still sending commands to mysql1. This caused databases to be dropped on both machines.
yolo? :geek:

mrgtb

Post by mrgtb » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

RMcGirr83 wrote:It isn't a "nag" it is an observation. If it were my "toy", which it isn't, I would ensure that I had a good db backup plan in place. Redundancy is nice but clearly wasn't enough in this case. I still, to this day, do not understand the need for ssl on a forum site. But that's a discussion for another topic/day.
Neither do I also, but since Google hinted (said) they'd start ranking sites higher using SLL. Every man and his dog has jumped on making their forum use SLL since. Too many people follow what Google says do...

There's been a number of issues with this site going down this year, doesn't look very good for the site in general it keep happening too regular.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:41 am

mrgtb wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:It isn't a "nag" it is an observation. If it were my "toy", which it isn't, I would ensure that I had a good db backup plan in place. Redundancy is nice but clearly wasn't enough in this case. I still, to this day, do not understand the need for ssl on a forum site. But that's a discussion for another topic/day.
Neither do I also, but since Google hinted (said) they'd start ranking sites higher using SLL. Every man and his dog has jumped on making their forum use SLL since. Too many people follow what Google says do...

There's been a number of issues with this site going down this year, doesn't look very good for the site in general it keep happening too regular.
IIRC the ranking hike Google give if you have a secure certificate is less than 1%.

Hardly worth it IMHO

Return to “phpBB Discussion”