Discuss: The return of the database / Recent Downtime

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Re: Discuss: The return of the database / Recent Downtime

Post by MichaelC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:49 am

mrgtb wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:It isn't a "nag" it is an observation. If it were my "toy", which it isn't, I would ensure that I had a good db backup plan in place. Redundancy is nice but clearly wasn't enough in this case. I still, to this day, do not understand the need for ssl on a forum site. But that's a discussion for another topic/day.
Neither do I also, but since Google hinted (said) they'd start ranking sites higher using SLL. Every man and his dog has jumped on making their forum use SLL since. Too many people follow what Google says do...

There's been a number of issues with this site going down this year, doesn't look very good for the site in general it keep happening too regular.
This didn't factor into our decision at all, in fact either we switched first or I wasn't aware of the SSL ranking factor when we did. We incorporated SSL because it provides better security for our users. There is the obvious transfer of login details to .com which is personal information but also this site has a private messaging system in which many board administrator disclose ftp/acp logins for their sites. We also have team members who's .com authentication provides them with access to tools you wouldn't want compromised as well as private forums. Lastly SSL provides you with security of knowing you're on phpBB.com and not being fed a page that has been modified by a man-in-the-middle. SSL is extremely important in the view of an internet that is secure, as most people don't realise quite how insecure http is.
HiFiKabin wrote:
mrgtb wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:It isn't a "nag" it is an observation. If it were my "toy", which it isn't, I would ensure that I had a good db backup plan in place. Redundancy is nice but clearly wasn't enough in this case. I still, to this day, do not understand the need for ssl on a forum site. But that's a discussion for another topic/day.
Neither do I also, but since Google hinted (said) they'd start ranking sites higher using SLL. Every man and his dog has jumped on making their forum use SLL since. Too many people follow what Google says do...

There's been a number of issues with this site going down this year, doesn't look very good for the site in general it keep happening too regular.
IIRC the ranking hike Google give if you have a secure certificate is less than 1%.

Hardly worth it IMHO
Google don't publish how much different factors affect ranking specifically so whatever you've heard is unlikely to be reliable beyond 'it is a low ranking factor'.

However, SSL is not the subject of this topic. I'm more than happy to continue discussing SSL if you wish to do so but please start a separate topic in GD where we can hold such a discussion. :)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

wired076

Post by wired076 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:36 am

MichaelC wrote:OSL are making numerous changes to ensure that their backup infrastructure is a lot more steadfast (As you can read about here) and we are also working on making our own daily database backups for redundancy in light of this incident (so we will have two independent backup systems backing up to different locations). OSL did have a good backup plan in place (It is considered good/common industry practice to backup from your slave/second SQL server in order to prevent load on your primary SQL1) but of course in this rare edge case that proved problematic which is why we will be working to make it an even greater backup plan. :)
I have just tried to access the OSL link however can not take a look due to Access denied:
You are not authorized to access this page.

Please advise.

I would like to take a look at the post mortem if available. Thanks!

AmigoJack

Re: Discuss: The return of the database

Post by AmigoJack » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:58 am

MichaelC wrote:we’ve reset everyone’s settings to phpBB defaults (to email you for topic & forum subscriptions and PMs)
So that was the culprit why I suddenly got e-mails again although I changed settings to never want them a long time ago. Why not rescuing them from a back as well? Too difficult?
MichaelC wrote:We would like to reiterate that *.phpbb.com outages do not affect your own installations of phpBB.
How many people do think that? I really have no clue if we're talking about dozens, hundreds, or even more.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 pm

there are probably millions of phpbb users that think that their board is hosted by phpbb.com. mainly those that did not install it themselves and see the link at the bottom of the page.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:08 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:there are probably millions of phpbb users that think that their board is hosted by phpbb.com. mainly those that did not install it themselves and see the link at the bottom of the page.
Exactly. How many people have posted here asking the phpBB team to "do something" about a board that they found offensive. Non-techies don't always understand things as well as we may.

You need more proof? That's a guy with a 64-bit PC that had 32-bit Windows installed on it. He wondered if installing a second copy of 32-bit Windows would be equivalent to 64-bit Windows. :lol:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 pm

that is just too funny. the original question was funny enough but some of the replies were amazingly well thought out bullsh.t. I laughed until tears were in my eyes.

thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:28 am

Pony99CA wrote:<snip>

You need more proof? That's a guy with a 64-bit PC that had 32-bit Windows installed on it. He wondered if installing a second copy of 32-bit Windows would be equivalent to 64-bit Windows. :lol:

Steve
Oh bugger, now he tells me :lol:

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:58 am

Let's try keep this on-topic please ;)
AmigoJack wrote:
MichaelC wrote:we’ve reset everyone’s settings to phpBB defaults (to email you for topic & forum subscriptions and PMs)
So that was the culprit why I suddenly got e-mails again although I changed settings to never want them a long time ago. Why not rescuing them from a back as well? Too difficult?
We aren't too sure why notifications were affected as they were obviously in the database backups but stopped appearing to have an effect after the restore. This was the easiest way to handle it and people could always just disable notifications again if they didn't want them but I'd rather people got previously disabled emails and had the ability to disable them than never got ones they were expecting (in particular people who subscribe to the announcements forum but otherwise never visit phpbb.com).
AmigoJack wrote:
MichaelC wrote:We would like to reiterate that *.phpbb.com outages do not affect your own installations of phpBB.
How many people do think that? I really have no clue if we're talking about dozens, hundreds, or even more.
We iterate it because we often get people asking, particularly if we are announcing scheduled maintenance, if it will affect their installations. Also in this instance a number of rumours trickled through twitter saying it was a zero-day in phpBB which we needed to dispel.
wired076 wrote:
MichaelC wrote:... (As you can read about here) and ...
I have just tried to access the OSL link however can not take a look due to Access denied:
You are not authorized to access this page.
Please advise.
I would like to take a look at the post mortem if available. Thanks!
I've notified OSL about this and they should fix it as soon as possible
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:41 pm

MichaelC wrote:I've notified OSL about this and they should fix it as soon as possible
Fixed. post mortem vita mea
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Pony99CA wrote:installing a second copy of 32-bit Windows would be equivalent to 64-bit Windows
When it comes down to math I lost most of my hope already - there are cases where people think 10% off for 2 articles is the same as stripping 5% off for each of those.

The 32bit+32bit question is kinda mainstream fun to me: not that thrilling, but entertaining. People just don't understand what those bits are for - can't argue on that, as I'm clueless the same way when it comes to i.e. cooking. But I can still distinguish between fire and water.
Affin wrote:
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:47 pm

AmigoJack wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:installing a second copy of 32-bit Windows would be equivalent to 64-bit Windows
When it comes down to math I lost most of my hope already - there are cases where people think 10% off for 2 articles is the same as stripping 5% off for each of those.

The 32bit+32bit question is kinda mainstream fun to me: not that thrilling, but entertaining. People just don't understand what those bits are for - can't argue on that, as I'm clueless the same way when it comes to i.e. cooking. But I can still distinguish between fire and water.
MichaelC wrote:Let's try keep this on-topic please ;)

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:05 am

Cross linking Cannot login on phpbb.com: besides the problem of that one user neither him nor I am able to log in to the tracker (anymore).
Affin wrote:

nina_colter
Name: Nina Colter

Post by nina_colter » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 am

Not sure if it is related, but I have the same issue like AmigoJack. I used to be able to log in to the tracker, but with a different user account. I sorted everything into the right column like requested, but keep getting an login error.

Regards,
Nicole Colter
http://www.365-login.net

CarpCharacin
Name: James Stewart

Post by CarpCharacin » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:49 am

Are you still using those dedicated machines, or is everything hosted by OSUOSL now?

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 am

CarpCharacin wrote:is everything hosted by OSUOSL now?
the footer (speak: the bottom) of every page wrote:Hosting donated by OSUOSL
Affin wrote:

Return to “phpBB Discussion”