Paid styles and extensions for PHPBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
koraldon

Re: Paid styles and extensions for PHPBB

Post by koraldon »

For wordpress you are right, but you get a link to a website on which you find free and paid version. So maybe phpbb can do a similar method. Must offer free version, but can offer paid version on developer site.

For joomla they offer both in the extension directory. Not sure how it is validated.
david63

Post by david63 »

koraldon wrote:So maybe phpbb can do a similar method. Must offer free version, but can offer paid version on developer site.
There is nothing to stop a developer doing that now. A developer can have a "free" extension validated on phpBB and have the same extension (with a few additions) as a paid extension on their own site. To the best of my knowledge nobody from the phpBB team makes a point of checking what is on a developer's own site.

The only thing that the developer would not be able to do would be to link to the paid extension from phpBB.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Elsensee
Former Team Member
Name: Oliver Schramm

Post by Elsensee »

koraldon wrote:I think that some support (not actual download or validation on phpbb.com) of paid addons to phpbb can be good for the ecosystem.
I don't think so, to be honest.
We can be proud of ourselves, that we have a team which validates the free extensions for free - I think this is very special to phpBB and one of the main reasons, why many people are choosing phpBB.
If we would allow people to publish paid extensions, there probably will be somebody who buys them and then gives them away for free. The author can't do anything about it, gets pissed and turns away from extension development. So this actually hurts the ecosystem.

I don't even know what this is all about? Do you want to pay for features/improvements?
Imagine, there is a paid version and a free version with the exact same functionality. Which version would you choose? Be honest. ;)
Development Team Member
I don't make bugs - I make features
Chico Gois
Translator

Post by Chico Gois »

I respect and admire the people who developed the phpBB however'm tired of seeing a lot of MOD and extensions that after a while the author tired and upgrading. I think this is one of the problems to be free.

I should have some incentive for it to continue to develop and update.

This is a good discussion so we can get several opinions
Mundo phpBB
phpBB3, Joomla e algo mais...
david63

Post by david63 »

Chico Gois wrote:however'm tired of seeing a lot of MOD and extensions that after a while the author tired and upgrading.
There is nothing to say that if the extension was to be a paid for extension that the developer would not get tired and stop upgrading/supporting it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

koraldon wrote:there should be an easy option to find paid extension
There is it's called Google.
koraldon wrote:with validation
If you buy third party extensions or styles it's down to yourself and the author to make sure everything is as it should be the same as if you bought a new PC - if it fails you'd take it back to the retailer. phpBB isn't responsible for third party code.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

david63 wrote:The only thing that the developer would not be able to do would be to link to the paid extension from phpBB.
That brings up two points.

First, they can put the link in their signature, where such things are allowed. ;)

Second, I presume that a developer could include a link to his paid extension in the free version of the extension, right? Of course, the phpBB Extensions Team won't validate the paid version.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Whether paid extensions/MODs are allowed here seems to depend on what payment model they adopt.

If a payment is required before downloading they are not allowed.

However, if they can be installed for free, used for free for a short period (such as 14 days), but then become useless unless ongoing payments are made, they are fine, see for example, Cleantalk. Spam protect
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “phpBB Discussion”