[Discuss] phpBB 3.1.6 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
John connor
Name: Aaron

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1.6 Release

Post by John connor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:59 am

Just to let everyone know that uses the Customcode extension it doesn't work in this release. There is an alternative way of using your custom code I guess. viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2275361&start=555#p14199116

Nadleeh
Name: Mark

Post by Nadleeh » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks for the update!
Automatically remove inner quotes when the nesting is too deep
How does this work? I've tried it at my own forum but don't see any difference.

nickvergessen
Former Team Member
Name: Joas Schilling

Post by nickvergessen » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:45 am

Nadleeh wrote:Thanks for the update!
Automatically remove inner quotes when the nesting is too deep
How does this work? I've tried it at my own forum but don't see any difference.
Only works for new posts IIRC
No Support via PM

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 am

Non techie embarrassing question, to this land of talented code writers etc -- I run a very large hobby board that is still using 3.0.11

Can I update direct from that to this new 3.1.6 ??? :?: :?:

Sorry for the really dumb newbie question but these things are not my field!

Thanks to all that keep php getting better and better. 8-)

There was a great guy here Yuriy, called 'Marshall Rusty' here I think, who did past updates for us for a very acceptable cost, but he seems to have vanished and answers no repeated emails.

Wanted to get updated months back, when google kept making noises about boards complying with their new directives, but I have no clue how to do these things.

If anyone knows where Yuriy is at these days, or can assist please drop me an email. :mrgreen:

We have about 4.5 million posts so it took hours to backup and transfer data etc last update.
Last edited by ozstamps on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:39 am

No. You need at least a phpBB 3.0.12 better 3.0.14 board.

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:52 am

ozstamps wrote:There was a great guy here Yuriy, called 'Marshall Rusty' here I think, who did past updates for us for a very acceptable cost, but he seems to have vanished and answers no repeated emails.
Marshalrusty is definitely alive, well and active on this site - he is the Project Manager for phpBB
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:10 am

Apologies .. all these different version numbers are gobbledygook to me at least. So whatever this version brings, is of no use to us anyway it seems as we can’t access it?

Good to hear Yuriy is alive and well .. wondered if he’d got ill, or something worse, as many emails went unanswered to the 3 different email addresses I have, and he’d phoned me in Sydney only weeks before to say he was happy to upgrade us. Seems like a very nice guy, and he was super organised, and amazed our USA web-host who'd battled with tech issues for days. 8-)

I’ll try him again, and apologies for asking about him here. Good to hear he is still about and involved in php. :oops:

Glen

Crizzo

Post by Crizzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 am

ozstamps wrote:Apologies .. all these different version numbers are gobbledygook to me at least. So whatever this version brings, is of no use to us anyway it seems as we can’t access it?
You can. But you have to update your board first to 3.0.12 and higher and then to 3.1.6 or higher.

That is all. :)

How? Just follow these instructions: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... of-phpbb3/

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Crizzo wrote:
ozstamps wrote:Apologies .. all these different version numbers are gobbledygook to me at least. So whatever this version brings, is of no use to us anyway it seems as we can’t access it?
You can. But you have to update your board first to 3.0.12 and higher and then to 3.1.6 or higher.

That is all. :)

How? Just follow these instructions: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... of-phpbb3/
why do you say this? as far as I know you can update straight to 3.1.6 from as far back as 3.0.2

since you are replacing all the files and updating the database , it really doesn't matter what your old version is as long as the database is at least 3.0.2 ( I think ).

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Holger

Post by Holger » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Crizzo

Post by Crizzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:24 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: since you are replacing all the files and updating the database , it really doesn't matter what your old version is as long as the database is at least 3.0.2 ( I think ).
That is the point. Iirc this "i think" was 3.0.12 and not 3.0.2.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:34 pm

nope, everything since 3.0.2 can be directly upgraded using the file replacement and database update file.

actually, the only problem of course, is the database update. I believe it was 3.0.2 that made some changes to the database that have remained since. 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 were different and that is why you can't really update the database directly from them to later versions. you have to go to 3.0.2 first.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Crizzo

Post by Crizzo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:35 pm

I have never tried that myself, from 3.0.12 i know that it is working. So i also recommend that. :)

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:48 pm

david63 wrote:Marshalrusty is definitely alive, well and active on this site - he is the Project Manager for phpBB
Uhmmm, errrr...wouldn't exactly call this "active"
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

ozstamps

Post by ozstamps » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:08 am

Disclaimer again from a tech dummie - I have zero idea what is involved time wise, and messing around wise, in going from my outdated 3.0.11 to anything else. :D

Is it quicker to go straight to 3.0.12 and then to 3.1.6, or, as seems possible from posts above (maybe?!) – go direct from 3.0.11 to the new 3.1.6?

We have a pretty large data base of 4.5 million posts, and board is active globally 24/7 so doing anything seems to take a ton of down time, so the less steps the better for us if it saves downtime for the hobby board. 8-)

I’ve emailed MarshallRusty once again, to all the email addresses I have on file, including the php.com one I have, but it may well be he is on vacation etc, if he has not been on these boards in recent weeks as it seems? He deserves a vacation, as he was brilliant for the last few updates. :mrgreen:

If anyone else can assist please drop me a line, as the board is getting near unusable lately, with double and triple posts all over the place, and dropouts etc. Server is stable and fully updated so it is the php database that is the issue it seems.
ozstamps wrote:Non techie embarrassing question, to this land of talented code writers etc -- I run a very large hobby board that is still using 3.0.11

Can I update direct from that to this new 3.1.6 ??? :?: :?:

Sorry for the really dumb newbie question but these things are not my field!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”