Tapatalk?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Shocks

Tapatalk?

Post by Shocks »

Hi,

I'm curious, why is the popular Tapatalk not set-up for this board?

I'm wondering if there are some horrible things in the EULA that i'm unaware of? Of if they do something unethical?

Just curious.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: Tapatalk?

Post by Paul »

Besides that it is a non validated (And a known extension to have issues) extension, it is also not needed as phpBB is fully responsive and works perfectly fine on mobile devices.
Shocks

Post by Shocks »

Which issues are these? Any links to sites that state them?

I heard something about Tapatalk harvesting all email addresses on the board. Not sure if it's true or not.

I've found that people like the ability to get notifications of new posts/replies on the mobile device without having to check emails. Or at least the people who use my board anyway. Which is one thing that phpbb doesn't provide.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Shocks wrote:I've found that people like the ability to get notifications of new posts/replies on the mobile device without having to check emails. Or at least the people who use my board anyway. Which is one thing that phpbb doesn't provide.
That's not quite true. phpBB does allow getting notifications without getting E-mail -- check the Notifications link above -- and those notifications can be customized in the UCP. You will need to refresh the page in your browser (or navigate to a new page) to see new notifications, though (unless you use Jabber, I presume).

What phpBB doesn't do is give native device push notifications. I realize that may be useful to some people, but that doesn't mean that phpBB should use Tapatalk, especially given the concerns that Paul noted.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Slightly off-topic. As a user I like Tapatalk just 'cause it puts the forums I visit in one nice list and is very mobile friendly. I couldn't care less about the notifications as I disable notifications on my phone for most things.

As as webmaster I hate Tapatalk because many of my sites have lots more content outside the forum and visitors miss out on that stuff. Not to mention I have less control over the ads (which is what pays the bills). I've turned off Tapatalk support and had users complain, so I turned it back on. I'd like to say Tapatalk doesn't matter but unfortunately it does. My competitors are in there so I feel I need to be there too to keep members coming back.

In general I hate that Tapatalk comes out with new updates that revamp major things on a regular basis. Stop changing things for the sake of change!
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Swanny wrote:it puts the forums I visit in one nice list
Do you really mean several forums of one board - or do you mean multiple boards? Can you attach example pictures on the different outcome of a forum list (once the original, once thru Tapatalk)?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

AmigoJack wrote:
Do you really mean several forums of one board - or do you mean multiple boards? Can you attach example pictures on the different outcome of a forum list (once the original, once thru Tapatalk)?
Multiple different forum installations. As in one forum = one site. Not sub-forums.

Not my pic, I found this screenshot that illustrates it well:

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the difference is that in phpbb terminology, phpbb.com/community is the board.
within that board you have categories like:

phpBB 3.1.x
phpBB 3.0.x

within those categories you have forums like:

3.1.x Support Forum
3.1.x Extensions Forums
and
3.0.x Support Forum
3.0.x Modifications Forums

and then,of course, within those forums, you have topics and then replies ( both of which are considered posts)

other bulletin board systems call the whole thing a forum so it depends on the system which terminology you use.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Piscator

Post by Piscator »

I really dont understand the appeal of tapatalk.

I have the same discussions with my nephew all the time and try to drill in the importance of keeping your data and personal info safe from these apps.

I argue, you have an app. one that doesn't have access to every single thing on your phone, its called a browser and these things called browsers have bookmark managers.

kids (and some adults) install these apps without a single thought about what they are doing behind the scenes, spotify is a good example of this recently and what kid is seriously going to read terms and conditions and privacy statements. when I told him what spotify are currently doing he was shocked and it was deleted immediately but the damage imo was already done.

nephew has accused me of being too old and to get with the times, no thanks!

think long and hard about apps to view a forum, do you really need one when phpBB already has a GREAT theme for mobile browsers (even my old galaxy ace default browser), I added a UCP toggle to automatically recognize a mobile device and switch theme if the user has the setting enabled, using their pc it still uses default theme.

amazing considering its only a few lines of code and no security issues will ever come of it. tapatalk security well, there track record imo says it all.

a no thrills, as basic and as featureless as you can get, none data harvesting official app from phpBB to push notifications to mobiles would be an advantage though and only because our servers email limit is 1000 per day. topic subscription, private messaging, forgotten password reset, etc eat that up in no time. to prevent that we had to get rid of the main culprit, topic subscription :|
Holger

Post by Holger »

Swanny wrote:
AmigoJack wrote:
Multiple different forum installations. As in one forum = one site. Not sub-forums.

Not my pic, I found this screenshot that illustrates it well:

Umm, that screenshot shows a list of apps from an app store, not forums/sites in Tapatalk.
Nully

Post by Nully »

Holger wrote: Umm, that screenshot shows a list of apps from an app store, not forums/sites in Tapatalk.
No. It's not a list of apps, it is a list of forums :)
Very useful to follow prefered forums in one hand (with smartphone in the hand).
Screenshot_2015-09-21-13-36-23.png
Holger

Post by Holger »

I know Tapatalk, and your screenshot shows the list. But not the previous screenshot.
Nully

Post by Nully »

Ok, sorry. I did not notice in previous screenshot it was apps :mrgreen:
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Holger wrote:Umm, that screenshot shows a list of apps from an app store, not forums/sites in Tapatalk.
Ooops, you're right. I'm not familiar with Android so when I did an image search I just picked one that looked about the same as what I see, I obviously didn't read it that closely ha ha.
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Piscator wrote:...do you really need one when phpBB already has a GREAT theme for mobile browsers...
I wouldn't call it great. Good, yes, great, no. I have many suggestions on how to tweak it to make it the best but over the years I've learned any one opinion here means very little. For starters the font should be a bit bigger. Second big one is how bloated the code is (run a phpBB URL through Google PageSpeed or GTMetrix to see what I'm talking about). I could go on but that's off-topic ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”