Anyone else think of PHPBB as a development platform?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
BondGamer

Anyone else think of PHPBB as a development platform?

Post by BondGamer »

When you think of PHPBB do you see a forum? Or do you think of it as a platform to develop a website?

For myself it is the latter. I always turn to PHPBB for anytime I need anything beyond a basic HTML page. I've done many projects with it. It provides everything you need including: session management, database abstraction, input validation, templating/styling, adminstration panel, multi-language support, etc.

I spent about just a few hours and developed a basic replacement for MediaWiki. With about 1 week I could put out a functioning beta. That just seems amazing to me.

Then you look at Wordpress. Just turn a forum into a blog. I think you could even do most of it with a custom template. The first post is the blog and the replies become the comments. Add some tags and suddenly you got a Wordpress replacement.

I was wondering if any/many other people think of PHPBB in this way.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[
AmigoJack

Re: Anyone else think of PHPBB as a development platform?

Post by AmigoJack »

Benefits of a BBS over a blog is the more consistent approach. As with phpBB you always know where you are (navigation breadcrumbs), functional URIs (instead of textual), a far better search and accounts actually have settings (instead of just serving a username).

Blog maintainers will most likely miss /viewforum.php displaying each first post completely, and HTML for the posts. Both things can be solved by modifications. But all blog maintainers I've experienced don't want to know the software in details - they want a far less complex way to just use it, hence they chose a blog. They'd also have no use for categories and forums, as they'd almost always only want one forum on the board.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I was just using that as an example of how easy it is to turn PHPBB into something other than a forum.

But to add to that it is easy to use MOD rewrite to change a sites URL structure to anything you want.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you are correct about being able to create whatever type website you want with phpbb.

however, it is not anywhere near as easy to do so as it is with something like wp for instance.

can you do it? yes. is it easy for most people? not at all.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
LavIgor

Post by LavIgor »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:however, it is not anywhere near as easy to do so as it is with something like wp for instance.
Playing with WordPress and reading about it led me to the opinion that it is a far more complex way to begin the development.
WP is just the replacement from the text editor to form editor, buttons instead of tags.
Just another way of programming, as for me.
The difference is that you often do not need most of the buttons and the WP functions to begin a blog.
Quick installation and no need to customise everything.

As for phpBB, yes, I think of it as one of the best platforms for websites that has most of the basic functions built-in. Maybe I'm used to it, but I think that writing an extension for phpBB is easier and more effective than customising plugins for WordPress.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

well, maybe I was thinking more along the lines of just creating a basic website. wp is much easier to create a basic website with than phpbb.

the topic does say as a development platform and I would agree that for developing that phpbb would be better if for no other reason that the html and php are keep separated. to me, that makes working with it much easier.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji »

One of my websites is built entirely on phpBB with the forum being only a small part of it (and probably the least used part). For me its been a steep learning curve (with some awesome help from the mod/extension writers forums) but the end result is well worth the effort. The best bits for me are the registration/authentication, the template system, and also the dbal which because I'm very new to using databases gives me piece of mind that the code is secure.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com
qoeple
Name: Qoeple Blogger

Post by qoeple »

eeji wrote:One of my websites is built entirely on phpBB with the forum being only a small part of it (and probably the least used part). For me its been a steep learning curve (with some awesome help from the mod/extension writers forums) but the end result is well worth the effort. The best bits for me are the registration/authentication, the template system, and also the dbal which because I'm very new to using databases gives me piece of mind that the code is secure.
Wow, finally i found couple friends that has a rare idea about PHPBB :mrgreen: ,

Hi eeji, have you made it with converting PHPBB to Web, can you show me the link ?
I even want to convert this PHPBB as my Blogging Platform, for me only actually..

Nice to find you all with out of box idea :lol:
Komunitas Blogger Indonesia - Blogging Comunity
buat blog gratis - Create Blog for free
pasang iklan gratis - Create Ads for free
qoeple

Post by qoeple »

BondGamer wrote:
I was wondering if any/many other people think of PHPBB in this way.
I do think as yours BondGamer, I think the problem is only with Template / Themes.
But with my low capability with code, I still failing to turn this PHPBB as my Blogging Platform.

Ithink the structure was close enough among Blog vs Forum, The difference is only at (Board Index / Home Page) and the (viewforum.php / category ). The rest is nearly same :mrgreen:
eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji »

qoeple wrote:Hi eeji, have you made it with converting PHPBB to Web, can you show me the link ?
http://iansvivarium.com/
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com
qoeple

Post by qoeple »

Cool, you have modified some of it. But there is no Blog in it, am I right ?
Holger

Post by Holger »

eeji wrote:
qoeple wrote:Hi eeji, have you made it with converting PHPBB to Web, can you show me the link ?
http://iansvivarium.com/
Nice site! But I am missing the phpBB copyright ;)
And:
Corn Snakes
Cornnake chat, help and advice

Return to “phpBB Discussion”