Discuss: phpBB 3.1.7-PL1 Released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
P_I

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.7-PL1 Released

Post by P_I » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 am

Can someone from the phpBB development team provide guidance for those who've waited to update our production systems to 3.1.7-PL1 and know that PHPBB3-14407 Users not being removed from Newly Registered Users group is a blocker that has a fix.

Is the official phpBB stance to update to phpBB 3.1..7-PL1 and then manually apply the change? Or should we expect phpBB 3.1.7-PL2 soon or is phpBB 3.1.8 around the corner?

I realize that phpBB releases are made, and announced, when they are ready. I'm just trying to get a sense of timeline so that I can plan for updating the forums I manage.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

SiteSplat

Post by SiteSplat » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:31 am

Talk19Zehn wrote:Yeah, thanks for your works. But please update the code changes, so that we could as always access, because the familiar interface is not updated, and the procedure is cumbersome.

Thank you and best regards ...

It was just updated :

https://area51.phpbb.com/code-changes/3.1.6/

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:27 am

P_I wrote:Can someone from the phpBB development team provide guidance for those who've waited to update our production systems to 3.1.7-PL1 and know that PHPBB3-14407 Users not being removed from Newly Registered Users group is a blocker that has a fix.

Is the official phpBB stance to update to phpBB 3.1..7-PL1 and then manually apply the change? Or should we expect phpBB 3.1.7-PL2 soon or is phpBB 3.1.8 around the corner?

I realize that phpBB releases are made, and announced, when they are ready. I'm just trying to get a sense of timeline so that I can plan for updating the forums I manage.

That issue is resolved with a replacement in a line in session.php. Look back a page or two here for it. There is another issue where posts don't get permanently deleted as well.

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 am

P_I wrote:Can someone from the phpBB development team provide guidance for those who've waited to update our production systems to 3.1.7-PL1 and know that PHPBB3-14407 Users not being removed from Newly Registered Users group is a blocker that has a fix.

We will not release a 3.1.7-PL2 for this. We currently recommend to upgrade to 3.1.7-PL1 and to then either apply the patch manually if needed or to upgrade to 3.1.8 as soon as it becomes available in a few weeks with more fixes.
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

srad80

Post by srad80 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:49 am

Hello a small problem after days setting 3.1.7 -PL1 the hen 'm online forum is that is inactive on the forum and the mud 10 minutes I click on indexes I track more down the mom nickname I have fair F5 forum to be able to see my nickname down .
Thank you

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am

srad80 wrote:Hello a small problem after days setting 3.1.7 -PL1 the hen 'm online forum is that is inactive on the forum and the mud 10 minutes I click on indexes I track more down the mom nickname I have fair F5 forum to be able to see my nickname down .
Thank you
It is a reported bug.

srad80

Post by srad80 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:01 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:
srad80 wrote:Hello a small problem after days setting 3.1.7 -PL1 the hen 'm online forum is that is inactive on the forum and the mud 10 minutes I click on indexes I track more down the mom nickname I have fair F5 forum to be able to see my nickname down .
Thank you
It is a reported bug.
Thank you :(

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 pm

naderman wrote:

We will not release a 3.1.7-PL2 for this. We currently recommend to upgrade to 3.1.7-PL1 and to then either apply the patch manually if needed or to upgrade to 3.1.8 as soon as it becomes available in a few weeks with more fixes.
So what is the proper way to update to the latest 3.1.7(x) from 3.1.6 if using automatic update?
Do we use this?
And then have to apply this?
And then this?

I'm confused...
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:36 pm

naderman wrote:
P_I wrote:Is the official phpBB stance to update to phpBB 3.1..7-PL1 and then manually apply the change? Or should we expect phpBB 3.1.7-PL2 soon or is phpBB 3.1.8 around the corner?
Thanks, just what I needed to know to plan ahead and make decisions.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

P_I

Post by P_I » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:48 pm

John connor wrote:
P_I wrote:Is the official phpBB stance to update to phpBB 3.1..7-PL1 and then manually apply the change? Or should we expect phpBB 3.1.7-PL2 soon or is phpBB 3.1.8 around the corner?
That issue is resolved with a replacement in a line in session.php. Look back a page or two here for it.
I'm well aware, I reported on the original problem and as requested by the developer of the patch I've tested it on my testing system.
There is another issue where posts don't get permanently deleted as well.
I've tested that one too and interacted with you about it. It's not a blocker bug, so wouldn't stop me from updating forums.

There is a bit of a catch-22 here. The phpBB team only supports software released by them. The policy on the forums I operate is to only run released and approved software, thus ensuring it is supported by the developers. Without some guidance from the phpBB development team, it wasn't clear if a system updated to phpBB 3.1.7-PL1, then manually patched would be considered as 'supported'. After all the patch hasn't gone through full phpBB Q&A.

Hence my question and appreciation to naderman for providing an answer so that I can plan and make a decision.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Volksdevil wrote: So what is the proper way to update to the latest 3.1.7(x) from 3.1.6 if using automatic update?
Do we use this?
And then have to apply this?
And then this?

I'm confused...
Download the Automatic Update and choose 3.1.6 to 3.1.7-pl1.
After that, you can run the Fix removing users from Newly Registered Users group
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks Elias.

Two relatively un-modified boards updated, two more 'Modified' ones to go :|
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

sbcnslt

Post by sbcnslt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:40 am

Update from 3.1.6 with 3.1.7 update. Copied Install and Vendor using Filezila. Point to Install No route found for "GET /" . I renamed the install directory and the board is working with the update notification.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:48 am

if you haven't edited the core code then don't do the update that way.

do it the normal way.

download the full package zip.

unzip it,
remove the blank config.php file from it.

upload the remainder of the folders/files to your server letting them overwrite the ones that are there.

run the install/database_update.php file

delete the folder named install.

you have all brand new files and an updated database all in just a few minutes.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

sysz
Name: Kimmy Lindell Ekström

Post by sysz » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:22 am

Finally updated my forum and everything went as smooth as silk :D
Currently working on the community

Return to “phpBB Discussion”