Discuss: phpBB 3.1.7-PL1 Released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Albert Wiersch
Name: Albert Wiersch

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.7-PL1 Released

Post by Albert Wiersch »

TheBigO wrote:I installed 3.1.7-PL1 as a fresh install on a new server. I am having the issue where after one post the users are not leaving Newly Registered Users. How can I fix this?
I'm having the same issue here and came here to report it. I'm glad it is already been reported. I am having to remove the users from the group manually so I don't have to continuously manually approve all their posts.

Found the fix: viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2269196#nru_317

Made the patch. Pretty easy... but haven't confirmed that it is fixed. We'll see.
hrx

Post by hrx »

Sometimes I can see that some spambots try to get on my forum. It's happen recently.

If phpBB 3.1 was broken through spambots? How it possible that spambot could answer on random questions during the registration?
spambot.png
Albert Wiersch
Name: Albert Wiersch

Post by Albert Wiersch »

hrx wrote:Sometimes I can see that some spambots try to get on my forum. It's happen recently.

If phpBB 3.1 was broken through spambots? How it possible that spambot could answer on random questions during the registration?
spambot.png
I have had spammers occasionally post on my forum even though I use the Q&A plugin. I assume that a real person manually gets the answer from my website because I tell users the answer is on our support page... but I have wondered if there is some database of questions and answers that spammers can use to automate this process?

I would think I would have a lot more spam though, if the 3.1 spambot countermeasures weren't working.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

To both above.

YES, spambots do get programmed with various answers. You need to either change your question and answer, and/or look at the link in my sig
hrx

Post by hrx »

HiFiKabin wrote:To both above.

YES, spambots do get programmed with various answers. You need to either change your question and answer, and/or look at the link in my sig
I understand, I haven't questions in English only on Polish, some questions are tough and some are a mathematic operations in word form, so maybe on this mathematic operations bot can register, how it possible that spambot know different languages? I checked address IP of this bot and it's IP from Ukraine.
david63

Post by david63 »

If you can look up the question on Google (in any language) and see the answer then so can the spam bots
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
hrx

Post by hrx »

david63 wrote:If you can look up the question on Google (in any language) and see the answer then so can the spam bots
So I need to delete all mathematic questions cause probably spambot know answers on these questions.
david63

Post by david63 »

hrx wrote:
david63 wrote:If you can look up the question on Google (in any language) and see the answer then so can the spam bots
So I need to delete all mathematic questions cause probably spambot know answers on these questions.
Yes

If you are using questions then only have one - that way you will know if the spam bots have "broken" it. If you have multiple questions then you will not know which Q&A they have broken.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
hrx

Post by hrx »

david63 wrote:
hrx wrote:
Yes

If you are using questions then only have one - that way you will know if the spam bots have "broken" it. If you have multiple questions then you will not know which Q&A they have broken.
I understand, thanks for information.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”