Very disapointed with extension creator support!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Smithgb

Very disapointed with extension creator support!

Post by Smithgb »

I asked RMcGirr83 for help about this extension.

I posted under extension support and discussion and I never got an answer. After that I tried messaging RMcGirr83 seeing that signature says nothing about "Do not PM". What happened is that they saw my message and they saw my post. I never got any reply in both PM and on the customization DB. Very disapointed how these things are being handled. There are really professional ext creators and porters who will offer a help any time. But something like this is like a slap in the face for end users. If you can't help with the question then please say so, if you can then I at least expect an answer. Really poor way of handling users when they need help. No hard feelings. The support team and staff are always willing to help but some of the extension porters and creators do not. Smith.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Very disapointed with extension creator support!

Post by 3Di »

Every people have also a primary own real life, family, job, business etc.. to carry on.
You shouldn't expect assistance ( 24/hrs per day - 365 days per year ) like paid software/hosts must offer to the users. Everything here is free like the time we have to offer to the users.

Nothing is due, just a "hey Man, thank you for the code you provided"... sometimes could be. ;)

The user you pointed out it is also well known for his own availability. ;)
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
LePaul5

Post by LePaul5 »

That seems sort of harsh, you have an application that cost you no money. Many people have made add-ons and extensions at no cost to you, only asking for donations if you find it useful.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You would like to customize the extension to not display the user listing and expect me to be your personal code writer? The extension works fine as is, I am under no obligation to adjust the code to suit your own needs.

If you don't like the extension then don't install it.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
david63

Post by david63 »

For my "two pennyworth"

It is the attitude of the likes of the OP (and he is not alone) that provides, for me at least, one of the major disincentives to create and publish extensions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Smithgb

Post by Smithgb »

RMcGirr83 wrote:Let me see if I understand you correctly. You would like to customize the extension to not display the user listing and expect me to be your personal code writer? The extension works fine as is, I am under no obligation to adjust the code to suit your own needs.

If you don't like the extension then don't install it.
I asked for help and you provided none.

"The extension works fine as is, I am under no obligation to adjust the code to suit your own needs."
You could post that on the topic when i asked rather than being ignorant. I do not want to help with this because extension works fine as is. I do not want to tell you which line of the code you need to remove to achieve what you and several other people are looking for. That would be acceptable answer at least and I would be fine with it. Hell, you could even say "I don't care if the extension is making big wall of text when listing users".

No one asks you to port and write extension. However, if you are venturing around those waters then at least show some portion of professionality. Even my dead grandmother could figure our that extension will end up being a spam with big block of text and sql ran to achieve that. At the end of day, if you are porting or writing an ext, you should be doing so for your own pleasure while it's being use to the community.

I never meant anything ill towards you whatsoever. Only thing I was looking for is a support and I was given none. There is no use in dragging this subject any longer. Simply put it like this: Just because you are an extension writer doesn't mean that being ignorant is a good thing to do. Like I said, answer would be appreciated. Regardless if you are willing to help or not. And once again, no hard feelings.
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

There is only one person being ignorant in this discussion, and it's not RMcGirr83. :evil:
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Nikola
Name: Nikola

Post by Nikola »

You expect too much from the volunteers. Correct me if I am wrong but someone else could help you on the support thread for their extension. Maybe not instantly maybe not for days but eventually someone probably would. Usually people who are having same issues as yourself. If they decided not to reply that is their decision, they gave you an extension port. Be happy with that. I dare to say you gave little or no effort to review their posts and see their support ratio before you decided that they aren't being professional.

Please note that we aren't joining the forces to shut you down and prove that you are wrong. Life is like that, not always you walk on the open doors. I am not implying that the extension writer closed doors to you. You will have to deal with that. Nikola
"What would happen if the autism gene was eliminated from the genetic pool?

You would have a bunch of people standing around in a cave, chatting and socializing and not getting anything done."

- Dr. Temple Grandin, A Personal Look at Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

For the OP's information, and not that I need to state this anyway, I was on vacation in Punta Cana when you sent that PM and opened that support ticket and did not return until Wednesday the 17th. I then spent time in catching up with my real job. Pardon me for not stopping my vacation to help you with custom code.

Also not sure why you thought it necessary to open a support topic AND send me a PM. What gives you the right to believe you are entitled to receive support via PM? Simply because I don't state to not contact me via PM for support in my signature? Fine, I took care of that little issue for you.
Smithgb wrote:Even my dead grandmother could figure our that extension will end up being a spam with big block of text and sql ran to achieve that.
Then your dead grandmother doesn't know what spam is and apparently neither do you. Shame on you for even stating that and bringing your grandmother into the discussion.
At the end of day, if you are porting or writing an ext, you should be doing so for your own pleasure while it's being use to the community.
I do write extensions for my own pleasure as well as for the enjoyment of the community. I am under no obligation to tell an end user how to code and I am under no obligation to assist in modifying the code. You can choose to either use what I have provided, adjust it to suit your needs or not use the extension.

Also, for the record, you waited a whole entire 6 days before deciding to try and lambaste me on a public arena. I have opened tickets on core phpBB and provided pull requests for those tickets and for the PR to get merged into core took considerably longer than that. Using your logic, I guess I should then open a topic lambasting the dev team that they aren't quick enough in merging my commits? Yeah that sounds like a great idea on how to get something accomplished...NOT.
david63 wrote:It is the attitude of the likes of the OP (and he is not alone) that provides, for me at least, one of the major disincentives to create and publish extensions.
Amen!

PS I answered your topic in the support section. Do not PM me again in the future.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

I think this topic is done, and there's no need for it to go on. Extension and style authors have real lives. Patience is a virtue, especially where free work is concerned. Support is given in public, and unsolicited PMs to others are discouraged.

If you have additional comments related to this topic, PM me.
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Return to “phpBB Discussion”