phpbb SEO question

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Sofaires

phpbb SEO question

Post by Sofaires » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:57 am

i did used the search and even on google to find a good plugin to make my board more SEO friendly, but the question is, is phpbb SEO friendly by default? or should i look for a plugin or does anyone know a good one? because i have installed 2 and one doesnt work and the other one made a xml sitemap that didn't display the sitemap but a link to a forum post and the other ones i found are not for 3.1 thanks again
8-)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: phpbb SEO question

Post by KevC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:59 am

Sofaires wrote:is phpbb SEO friendly by default?
Yes.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Sofaires

Post by Sofaires » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:01 am

thank you that could explain why there is so little support for those mods
8-)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:06 am

The search engines are far more clever than people give them credit for.

If there was a magic bullet to make your site miraculously jump to the top of the rankings, everyone would use it. But then not everyone could be number 1 on the list. You have to differentiate the sites by other means.

Content is the main one. Get new, regular, relevant content and that accounts for most of your ranking.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Sofaires

Post by Sofaires » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 am

thanks a lot kev, i read something similar yesterday about relevant content helps a lot
8-)

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:57 am

Try to think like a search engine. What is it's purpose? To serve people who search something the most relevant content. Therefore, Google, Bing etc. try to make their engine think like a human. What's the human looking for? I'd go for relevant content. They do not care about how the URL is built, how the sitemap looks like, or what meta tags you have.

That stuff only matters when you have really good content that's mostly identical to the content your competitors have. In that case you might have a little benefit by tweaking those things a bit.
Think of SEO like a rear spoiler on your car. It might help you a little to go faster around corners, but you have much more benefit from a good engine and gearbox (the content in this analog).
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

Sofaires

Post by Sofaires » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 am

helpful information thanks a lot for your time!
8-)

messikecil

Post by messikecil » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:09 am

if phpbb have SEO friendly by default, but why its lose from xenforo, i write a content on my phpbb and than i copied it to another forum which use xenforo, when i seacrh my content(artikel) by seacrh engine google, im not found my phpbb board at top rank but the xenforo it does. its make me disappointed

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:27 am

messikecil wrote:if phpbb have SEO friendly by default, but why its lose from xenforo, i write a content on my phpbb and than i copied it to another forum which use xenforo, when i seacrh my content(artikel) by seacrh engine google, im not found my phpbb board at top rank but the xenforo it does. its make me disappointed
Could very well be that board already has a better "reputation" with Google for good content.
I seriously doubt that it would make such a big difference which forum software, you use. It's about content.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:04 pm

The only way to definitely confirm that would be to create two identical boards with the same URL but a different directory, put the same content in and see which indexes better.
Cheap UK Hosting

Sofaires

Post by Sofaires » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:34 pm

i have used phpbb in the past and it got indexed pretty well after a few month im currently starting a community and i though to ask to see if i got the correct way to do it, but as long as you make relative content also use tags relative to the content titles in h1 elements etc etc i think there shouldn't be any difference in forum software getting indexed faster than the other.
8-)

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:32 pm

KevC wrote:The search engines are far more clever than people give them credit for.

Content is the main one. Get new, regular, relevant content and that accounts for most of your ranking.
That's true new, regular, relevant content is important. But to get this you have to be found by people who are interested to write new topics. So the ranking in search engines is the mayor problem. And unfortunately Google and other se dont give much importance to forums in general.
I'm not so sure that phpBB is really "SEO-friendly"
My experience is (have 1 self developed site & 1 WP-blog & 1 phpbb forum with almost the same target)
And new pages/treats appear in general in Google
- self developed site after : 1-3 days !
- WP-blog : 1hour to 2 days !
- phpbb forum : not before 3 days up to 2 weeks !
so I'm asking myself questions

Return to “phpBB Discussion”