Which is better, phpbb or vbulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
consumered

Which is better, phpbb or vbulletin

Post by consumered »

I'm considering a forum for my blog, and was wondering which is better i.e. user friendly, easy to configure
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Which is better, phpbb or vbulletin

Post by JimA »

I doubt that this is the place where you want to asking that question, we are not really that impartial. You went to the official phpBB website. So naturally, most of us are here because we prefer/like phpBB. If you would have gone to the VBulletin website, I'm sure everybody there would say they preferred VBulletin. :)

If you have any questions about specific phpBB features that you'd like to know about so you can create your own opinion of which product you prefer, we can assist with that of course.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and it is hard to compare the most used paid bulletin board software with the most used free bulletin board software. actually, I am pretty sure that phpbb is the most used bulletin board whether paid or free.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I have never (thankfully) configured vBulletin, but as an end user I HATE it.

phpBB may not be perfect, but what is (other than myself of course) but its way cheaper than vBulletin, has great P2P support and is easy to modify to your own style and functionality.

Try it, it won't cost you anything :ugeek:
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

vBulletin has peaked and they are going downhill. Many vB users are jumping to other forum products (a lot to Xenforo which is a fantastic paid forum product).

I only run phpBB now but at one time I had a vB forum and some phpBB forums. In my opinion, phpBB is only getting better with time, especially since v3.1.

vB is not even a consideration IMHO. It's either phpBB for free or Xenforo for paid. I really like Xenforo but I'm so far into phpBB it's not worth the effort to switch, there is so little to gain and a lot of work to do it.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

vB has horrible code, is not easy to administer, not great at moderation either and an insult to any power user. But I understand that most people enjoy the style and have their own definition of efficiency.

XenForo has invalid HTML and for power users the AJAX all over is not that efficient either. Notifications and watch lists can't be filtered or configured. The search is slightly better than phpBB's, as it has not the bug to interpret search operators in search phrases. The philosophy of relying on paid code that you have to re-buy from time to time is something I'll never understand if you want to have your BBS for a long time.

phpBB's code is not the best, but compared to others much better, even when not fully OO. The administration is good and makes sense once you understand the permission system. Moderation can be done quite easily and there's little you miss from the start. For power users the style needs some minor tweaks, but even then the default outsmarts all other BBSs - it's just the outlook that seems to scare most people off (although saying what means "nice" to them is still a challenge).
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Try Vbulletin then come here.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

AmigoJack wrote:vB... an insult to any power user ... for power users the AJAX all over is not that efficient either ... For power users the style needs some minor tweaks ...
Who or what is a power user?
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

People who (need to) use a thing very often, thus expecting fast reactions/results. They're interested in the core functionality without the need to jump thru hoops for every time they use them. Examples: truck driver (truck), runner (shoes), programmer (keyboard), support (ticket system)...
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10

Return to “phpBB Discussion”