Discuss: phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 Released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Taka51

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2.0-RC1 Released

Post by Taka51 »

Hello

I think all the team performs work phpBB.com conclusive and encouraging, I'm not a hurry but was intrigued by this RC version 3.2 Rhea

I'll start by installing the most recent version of Ascraeus 3.1.9 and I remain patient with the release of a stable version of 3.2x Rhea

Made according to your availability, you're not bots working at the chain factory loll

Have a good day
Profo

Post by Profo »

On one hand, I was looking forward to testing the first RC. I like "long term support" solutions. But specially because I'm already using PHP7 for WP & Drupal, but phpBB 3.1 needs its own PHP 5.6 environment (which is a PITA in most cases). 3.2 works fine with PHP7: that's the big pro.

On the other hand, many essential core features for my board are no longer working (e.g. php code syntax highlighting, clickable non-standard urls), and they work just fine with 3.1. In addition, a lot of 3.1 themes and extensions do not work with 3.2 (or need to be adapted): That's the big con.

Right now, I'm in the middle of nowhere. Still not sure if I will upgrade to 3.2, stick with 3.1 until the end of its support (1-2 years?), or switch to a different solution.

I'm already getting the feeling that phpBB version transitioning has moved from "extremely long term" (3.0) to "very short term" (3.1, 3.2, 3.3 = upgrading themes and extensions every year).
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Profo wrote: I'm already getting the feeling that phpBB version transitioning has moved from "extremely long term" (3.0) to "very short term" (3.1, 3.2, 3.3 = upgrading themes and extensions every year).
Personally, I wouldn't say that phpBB has moved its version support to very short term. I do however think it's not realistic anymore to support a product for over nine years, which we've done with phpBB 3.0. That's not desirable either, because that would mean there would have been very little progress in between that time. Currently, phpBB 3.1 has been around for two years and we're not even close to dropping its support, so I would not say such a release cycle as we have right now qualifies as thinking "very short term".

You are right that we have made some changes, feature releases do get out faster now, but with that we do think extra about backward compatibility. For example, the big majority of extensions that work on 3.1 will work on 3.2 as well. Those that work with notifications or the BBCode system will need some additions, but that's not even close to the BC break that we had when we switched from 3.0 to 3.1. The same goes for styles, they don't need as much of an overhaul as it seems that you think they do. Sure, changes need to be made, but with the shorter release cycle we actually hope to get closer to the community by offering them minor (so easy to update) changes while still offering new functionality quicker than we used to.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Profo

Post by Profo »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be too critic (well maybe a bit, but in a constructive way).
I think you're doing a great job and I'm fine with the new release cycle, but not so much with backwards compatibility.
JimA wrote:For example, the big majority of extensions that work on 3.1 will work on 3.2 as well. Those that work with notifications or the BBCode system will need some additions, but that's not even close to the BC break that we had when we switched from 3.0 to 3.1. The same goes for styles, they don't need as much of an overhaul as it seems that you think they do. Sure, changes need to be made, but with the shorter release cycle we actually hope to get closer to the community by offering them minor (so easy to update) changes while still offering new functionality quicker than we used to.
You're probably right, but that's not the experience I'm having these days.

I've been working to adapt a good number of 3.1 extensions and styles for 3.2. Not all of them stop working. Actually, a few of them work fine out of the box. But the vast majority of them need some (or many) fixes to be 100% usable: not only code-related, but also related to css, templates, etc.
A good example I can think of right now are those 3.1 CSS classes deprecated in favour of new classes and font-awesome icons, whose colours are now hardcoded in templates ("icon-red", "icon-blue"...).
The example above is one of many other small issues I found when upgrading extensions and styles from 3.1 to 3.2.

I understand that adding new features and dropping others always breaks some compatibility. As said, I'm not complaining, but only giving some feedback about my recent experience.
david63

Post by david63 »

Profo wrote:But the vast majority of them need some (or many) fixes to be 100% usable: not only code-related, but also related to css, templates, etc.
I trust that you are informing the extension developers of these issues in case they are not aware.

Just because the extensions have not been updated yet (in actual fact they cannot be resubmitted to the CDB yet) does not mean that the developer does not have a 3.2 compatible version.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

I really wish that phpbb would adopt semantic versioning and maintain BC between minor versions...
rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu »

Could we please get 3.2.x styles forum here, as currently there's no good place to get some 3.2 styles for testing.
Crise

Post by Crise »

Will there be an upgrade path from an RC to final version?

Asking because I may have accidentally upgraded a server to php 7.0 without realizing the previous version doesn't support it.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Crise wrote:Will there be an upgrade path from an RC to final version?
Generally no there is no upgrade path from a RC to final version as RC aren't supposed to be installed on live forums anyway.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Hi,
RMcGirr83 wrote:
Crise wrote:Will there be an upgrade path from an RC to final version?
Generally no there is no upgrade path from a RC to final version as RC aren't supposed to be installed on live forums anyway.
As you can see here in the latest phpBB 3.1 version, we provide an automatic update package from 3.1.9-RC1 to 3.1.9: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... _3.1.9.zip

And if you take a look in the latest README.html, you'll see, that support for updates from RC1 (and higher) to the latest stable release is provided: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.2 ... #L103-L106

So, @Crise: You can use the RC1 and will be able to get support, when you try to update. But remember, this is on your own risk!

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
Crise

Post by Crise »

Crizzo wrote:So, @Crise: You can use the RC1 and will be able to get support, when you try to update. But remember, this is on your own risk!
Thanks for clarifying, I vaguely recalled that RC versions had an upgrade path to final from way back with 3.0.0 (that being the last time I even looked at release candidates), but I figured I'd make sure that hasn't changed.

I'd rather take that risk than leave the board offline for an indeterminate time (or compile an old php version just for phpbb, since php5 is no longer in the vendor repositories for the server distro I am using).
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Crizzo wrote: So, @Crise: You can use the RC1 and will be able to get support, when you try to update. But remember, this is on your own risk!

Regards
Hmmmm, pretty sure I remember that it wasn't supported at all. :?: Oh well, learned something new today.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Crise wrote: I vaguely recalled that RC versions had an upgrade path to final from way back with 3.0.0
It was a little bit tricky, there were two UPGRADE paths from phpBB 3.0-rc7/rc8 to 3.0.0

See: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpbb/ ... B%203.0.0/

All of the versions (RCs) before 3.0.rc7 included got an un UPDATE path instead.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
KomiDesign

Post by KomiDesign »

Hi. I don't know if anyone noticed but there are some small bugs inside mcp_forum.html, search_results.html, ucp_main_bookmarks.html, ucp_main_subscribed.html, viewforum_body.html and maybe other files also, concerning the title for the small icons links and the span text. Example inside viewforum_body.html file:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_UNAPPROVED or topicrow.S_POSTS_UNAPPROVED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{TOPIC_UNAPPROVED}">
								<i class="icon fa-question fa-fw icon-blue" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{TOPIC_UNAPPROVED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
						<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_DELETED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{TOPIC_DELETED}">
								<i class="icon fa-recycle fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{TOPIC_DELETED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
						<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_REPORTED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_REPORT}" title="{TOPIC_REPORTED}">
								<i class="icon fa-exclamation fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{TOPIC_REPORTED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
In place of:

<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_UNAPPROVED or topicrow.S_POSTS_UNAPPROVED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{L_TOPIC_UNAPPROVED}">
								<i class="icon fa-question fa-fw icon-blue" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_TOPIC_UNAPPROVED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
						<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_DELETED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{L_TOPIC_DELETED}">
								<i class="icon fa-recycle fa-fw icon-green" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_TOPIC_DELETED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
						<!-- IF topicrow.S_TOPIC_REPORTED -->
							<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_REPORT}" title="{L_TOPIC_REPORTED}">
								<i class="icon fa-exclamation fa-fw icon-red" aria-hidden="true"></i><span class="sr-only">{L_TOPIC_REPORTED}</span>
							</a>
						<!-- ENDIF -->
Also inside the mcp_forum.html the title for deleted topics is not only wrong but it misses one bracket:

<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{TOPIC_DELETED">
in place of

<a href="{topicrow.U_MCP_QUEUE}" title="{L_TOPIC_DELETED}">
Crizzo
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Please create a bug report for the mistakes: https://tracker.phpbb.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa :)

Edit: There it is: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14753 and is already patched. Will be included in the version 3.2.0-RC2. :)
My extensions for phpBB: crizzo.de
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de

Return to “phpBB Discussion”