Accelerated Mobile Page for phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: Accelerated Mobile Page for phpBB

Post by Kailey »

tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:44 pm In the case of phpbb I see the possibility of applying this to the main page, where only forums would be listed without information about the last post written, i.e. without dynamic content creation.
The "main page", as you refer to it, is still dynamic. It pulls that information from the database. Anything that has to query a database to display content is considered dynamic.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

Kinerity, I know but if You remove dynamic elements - last post, autors, statistic etc. and leave only the list of forums, it would be possible to do it as AMP.
As I wrote, the usefulness of such a site is small. But this is the only thing that comes to my mind in the case of phpbb if someone really wants to have AMP.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

But the the “list (and layout) of the forums” still comes from the dB.

I must admit I skimmed most of this but what, if any, benefit would this be to phpBB?

I saw somebody mention phpBB being slow on the uptake with such matters then mentions phpBB has only just taken up with fontawesome. I, for one, personally don’t think fontawesome is any benefit whatsoever, I preferred the use of our own gif’s but I move with the times. If AMP is going to be good for phpBB how about some proof?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
tojag

Post by tojag »

I am just saying the same - I do not see the advantages of AMP for phpbb.
I just want to say that the list of forums does not change often, this is the only element that can be prepared statically under AMP. Simply a list of forums with very light graphics (not from DB). No statistics and recent posts etc.
Regards
david63

Post by david63 »

tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm this is the only element that can be prepared statically under AMP.
I will admit that I know just about zilch to do with AMP but even that cannot work - how would you handle returning the data in a user's language without accessing the database?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

tojag wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm I just want to say that the list of forums does not change often, this is the only element that can be prepared statically under AMP.
While the first part may be true, the second part is not. The list of forums, no matter how often they do or do not change, is not static. It's all DB driven. Now, you can cache the list of forums, but phpBB already does this. If AMP is only beneficial for static content, then it isn't the right platform for phpBB. :)

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
david63

Post by david63 »

kinerity wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm Now, you can cache the list of forums
But even then there is the need to recreate that from the DB if the cache has been purged, or that cache file has expired.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

david63 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:03 pm how would you handle returning the data in a user's language without accessing the database?
You wouldn't. The proper way to do that would be to prerender the AMP version of the pages and serve them via static files. Basically: wget https://www.phpbb.com/community/ > amp/index.html

The target end-users for AMP pages are random people coming from Google's search results page who would see the default page anyway.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
tojag

Post by tojag »

JoshyPHP wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 pm The proper way to do that would be to prerender the AMP version of the pages and serve them via static files. Basically: wget https://www.phpbb.com/community/ > amp/index.html
And that's what it's about.
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Post by Macko »

I see AMP results a lot more these days. I don't know why anyone would say it seems to have no benefit to phpBB. AMP results load LIGHTENING fast, so hopefully there is a way to get it working on phpBB sometime.
Niko!

Post by Niko! »

Macko wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am I see AMP results a lot more these days. I don't know why anyone would say it seems to have no benefit to phpBB. AMP results load LIGHTENING fast, so hopefully there is a way to get it working on phpBB sometime.

Exactly!

that is what I was saying... at least for the static topics (where the first message doesn’t change) it should be implemented. For example that you can flag if the first message is something like an article or not.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

Niko! wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm at least for the static topics
Which phpBB does not have (no such thing as a "static topic"). Everything in phpBB is database driven.

JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Macko wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am I see AMP results a lot more these days. I don't know why anyone would say it seems to have no benefit to phpBB.
AMP pages are slower than normal pages. The one benefit that AMP pages have is that they're hosted by Google and they are preloaded and/or prerendered when you perform searches on Google. That's why they feel fast; They're the tortoise to everybody's hare, but in this case the tortoise jumps the gun and starts running while everybody else is waiting on the start line.
Macko wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 am [...] hopefully there is a way to get it working on phpBB sometime.
IMO, it requires too much work. I don't think a single person will want to do that.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”