Accelerated Mobile Page for phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
horseguards
Name: P C

Accelerated Mobile Page for phpBB

Post by horseguards »

Will phpBB offer a solution for Accelerated Mobile Page?
david63

Re: Accelerated Mobile Page for phpBB

Post by david63 »

What is an "Accelerated Mobile Page"?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

is that a mobile page that runs across your screen really, really fast?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

According to AMP
AMP is a way to build web pages for static content that render fast.
"To build web pages for static content" ... something phpBB is not dealing with ;)

What would be the benefit of this in/for a BBS?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Code: Select all

<html><body>hello</body></html>
copy and paste that into a text file and name it whatever.html and you have a static webpage. what is an "accelerated web page"?

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

@Lumpy

Follow the link and see what it does and, most important, how it is done by AMP code in this case - beneficial for web sites that are mainly (if not all ...) static/build on static content.

So the question still remains: what's the use case in phpBB?
intric8

Post by intric8 »

Some of the responses to this thread are overly snarky for a very valid question. Amp, which Google announced it will be driving, will directly impact SEO and how your sites/pages perform in future search results. It isn't a very complicated change (some meta tags and a bit of javascript) which I'd think would be a setting one could enable in their admin dashboard.

Wordpress has this as a checkbox option now. Granted a blog is different than a forum, but how they compete against one another in Search is quite the same. Adding an AMP option would simply keep phpbb up-to-speed with other CMSes.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Agreed...With all of it.

And AMP has been around in google webmaster tools for a while now, but phpBB always seem slow on the uptake of things like this. Only just using fontawesome for example.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Ger

Post by Ger »

intric8 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:35 pm Wordpress has this as a checkbox option now. Granted a blog is different than a forum, but how they compete against one another in Search is quite the same. Adding an AMP option would simply keep phpbb up-to-speed with other CMSes.
Well like you said here yourself: a Blog is different than a forum. And phpBB cannot be considered a CMS.
I've read some documentation about AMP, and as I understand it, it's not meant for dynamic websites with also much content from external sources. For instance: you need to serve everything through HTTPS. Good luck doing that with all kind of images en alike content from all over the internet. You'd need to set up a camo-proxy to route all that through your own server.
Also, what you see on a forum can be quite different from what the next user should see. Think of the basic guest/user/moderator roles.

I think that if you'd put enough effort into "AMP-ing" a forum you could pull it off, but it's not really what AMP is meant for IMO.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

If i understand correctly AMP is an alternative to responsive sites.
So if you are responsive, there is no advantage in going to AMP.
At my webmaster account I see no mobile usability issues for my sites, so I assume responsive is fine.
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

koraldon wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 am If i understand correctly AMP is an alternative to responsive sites.
No as I understand AMP has nothing to do with responsive.
AMP removes most of pictures, decoration css to get an ultra light weight page which can be charged faster on low performance connections as it is sometimes the case for mobile devices

AMP works like the "clutter-free fonction" with Safari
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21467?lo ... cale=en_US
Niko!

Post by Niko! »

Hello,

actually the AMP project is a way to serve articles, news, pages that has nothing to do with being responsive, etc..
The point is to provide a page that is quickly loadable and available. Google really appreciate it and put AMP pages in a dedicated space at the top of the results (from mobile)

Here you can see some references:
https://www.ampproject.org/
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 0290?hl=en
https://developers.google.com/amp/

It is something really important that PhpBB team should care about :oops: :P :P
Lumpy Burgertushie

my responses above were not "snarky" they were meant to be humorous. sorry about that.
'
anyway, if this is something that really only works on static sites then why in the world is WP using it.
if you strip away all the stuff it says it does, you are basically breaking the dynamically created web pages that programs like WP and phpbb create.

don't see much benefit and probably just problems with phpbb etc.

robert

Niko!

Post by Niko! »

I do agree.

But maybe as an extra service... Or maybe forums that have only locked topics.
Forumotion (external forum hosting) managed to do something with AMP and “publications”
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

It's all about very fast loading of pages on mobile devices. The AMP page loads quickly and Google prefers these pages in the search results, allowing you to earn more from your ads. Internet users often give up the opening of a page that is slow because they can not wait to load it. Google says that if the page loads over 3 seconds, then that's the risk.In the case of phpbb I see the possibility of applying this to the main page, where only forums would be listed without information about the last post written, i.e. without dynamic content creation. The site would open quickly but would it have any meaningful content? Doubtful.

PWA (Progressive Web Apps) websites are a much more interesting thing, thanks to which mobile browsers treat it as an application.
https://developers.google.com/web/progressive-web-apps/
For the owners of phpbb sites, PWA would be an interesting option because the forum would be like an independent application. I think it can go in this direction because now Chrome, FF, Opera support it. But this is a completely different topic than AMP.

Regards

Return to “phpBB Discussion”