Start up and install ? newbie

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
cowpoke

Start up and install ? newbie

Post by cowpoke »

This seems like the right section to ask this.

What are the basic step to get operational ?

I have a desktop with Win 7
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Start up and install ? newbie

Post by KevC »

Have you bought a domain name and some hosting?

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... uirements/
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
cowpoke

Post by cowpoke »

Thank you.

So this isn't plug/play in the sense that I load it to my machine and run from there (I think there are some forums that do that)

So it seems that I would need to have a domain name hosted via "Go daddy" or some other, is that correct ?
If so, lets say you had a site like that where you already had an existing webpage, can you incorporate php into that ?

Thanks
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

cowpoke wrote:So this isn't plug/play in the sense that I load it to my machine and run from there (I think there are some forums that do that)
No. I don't know of any that work like that. For people to find it, it needs to be on a server which is open to the world. You wouldn't do that on your home computer.
cowpoke wrote:So it seems that I would need to have a domain name hosted via "Go daddy" or some other, is that correct ?
Yes, you need it to be at www.something
cowpoke wrote:If so, lets say you had a site like that where you already had an existing webpage, can you incorporate php into that ?
If the server hosting that site had the necessary requirements, yes.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
nimd4

Post by nimd4 »

KevC wrote:
cowpoke wrote:So this isn't plug/play in the sense that I load it to my machine and run from there (I think there are some forums that do that)
No. I don't know of any that work like that. For people to find it, it needs to be on a server which is open to the world. You wouldn't do that on your home computer.
Well, yes, except you can - if you want to. It's (quite) possible to run a localhost server (test environment) to, perhaps, (for example) pre-configure everything prior to going live; although there are other, various, ways to do the same. :)

As per rules of this forum, none of this can be linked - but, a (Google) web query will return easy results... For some things such as WampServer, and XAMPP from Apache Friends - and similar.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

nimd4 wrote:, none of this can be linked - but, a (Google) web query will return easy results...
Try our KB:[kb]installing-and-setting-up-your-own-web-server[/kb]

Return to “phpBB Discussion”