Discuss: phpBB to ship with VigLink extension

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Dog Cow

Re: Discuss: phpBB to ship with VigLink extension

Post by Dog Cow » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:09 pm

Marshalrusty wrote: If all users donated $5, then we wouldn't have a problem. The reality is that unfortunately donations are never as forthcoming as people hope. Wikipedia famously states during their donation drive that if everyone reading their website at that particular moment gave $3, they would immediately hit their targets, and yet the drives last for weeks.
Interesting you should mention that. Here's a Slashdot story on this very subject: Wikipedia Exceeds Fundraising Target, But Continues Asking For More Money.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

phpBB Ltd. is a company that is active (in that it is not dissolved) registered in the UK of the company type 'Dormant company'. phpBB Ltd. owns the phpBB copyright & domain. We have a separate company registered in the United States and is the company that revenue from advertising/VigLink etc. goes to and pays for hackathons and other development activities.

As Yuriy has said, we're looking into changing the status of the US company to a non-profit but there isn't much else to say on the topic for the time being. :) Lets get back on-topic.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:46 am

Dog Cow wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote: If all users donated $5, then we wouldn't have a problem. The reality is that unfortunately donations are never as forthcoming as people hope. Wikipedia famously states during their donation drive that if everyone reading their website at that particular moment gave $3, they would immediately hit their targets, and yet the drives last for weeks.
Interesting you should mention that. Here's a Slashdot story on this very subject: Wikipedia Exceeds Fundraising Target, But Continues Asking For More Money.
Interesting it certainly is, but again unrelated to the topic at hand.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

optimusvault
Name: Aaron

Post by optimusvault » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:07 am

Very happy to hear :)
Cheers,
Aaron

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Why is the $convert_account_link within viglink_module.php using @file_get_contents instead of cURL?

Viglink isn't showing for me in the extensions tab but rather the Board Configuration settings.

I can't seem to change the "Claim your own" settings because this line in the viglink_module.php file

Code: Select all

$convert_account_link = @file_get_contents('https://www.phpbb.com/viglink/convert?domain=' . urlencode($config['server_name']) . '&siteid=' . $config['viglink_api_siteid'] . '&uuid=' . $config['questionnaire_unique_id'] . '&key=' . $config['phpbb_viglink_api_key']); 
is suppressing errors and all that is returned in the ACP is this
VigLink convert account link could not be retrieved.
which might as well be in martian as it doesn't give any solution as to what the problem might be.

Removing the @ I am then presented with this
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/phpbb/viglink/acp/viglink_module.php on line 113: file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify failed
Probably a server config issue but it would be nice to state that, or something like it, instead of Viglink convert account link could not be retrieved.
Noname.jpg
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Miles Cellar
Former Team Member
Name: Miles Cellar

Post by Miles Cellar » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:50 am

I'm not necessarily happy with the integration of VigLink and its activation by default, but this has already been discussed... I have one question, though. Is the extension re-enabled by default every time phpBB is updated or is it remains disabled if it has been previously disabled by the administrator? For example, if I disabled this extension on phpBB 3.2.0, will it remain disabled when I will upgrade my board to phpBB 3.2.1? Or should I deactivate the extension again?
AUTHOR OF THE FRENCH AND AMERICAN ENGLISH LANGUAGE PACK FOR PHPBB
GET THE LATEST LANGUAGE PACK NEWS…

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by MichaelC » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:23 am

Miles Cellar wrote:I'm not necessarily happy with the integration of VigLink and its activation by default, but this has already been discussed... I have one question, though. Is the extension re-enabled by default every time phpBB is updated or is it remains disabled if it has been previously disabled by the administrator? For example, if I disabled this extension on phpBB 3.2.0, will it remain disabled when I will upgrade my board to phpBB 3.2.1? Or should I deactivate the extension again?
It will remain disabled.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:47 am

The issue many times is that VigLinks breaks links--most commonly those very long URLs that some sites use. If I had a dime each time I had to fix the link, because it breaks it, I would be rich by now.

I dealt with this at a site that had it, and declined helping the admin to moderate his forum. It was too much work. Especially in code related sites. The URLs would always get broken up.

Way to fix the links is put them in code brackets. So they don't get rewritten. And the visitor can simply copy/paste the URL in their browsers.

Code: Select all

http://www.website.com/
I dislike this VigLink. I don't want my links to be rewritten. No thanks.
Last edited by M.O.B. on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by MichaelC » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:20 am

M.O.B. wrote:The issue many times is that VigLinks breaks links. If I had a dime each time I had to fix the link, because it breaks it, I would be rich by now. I dealt with this at a site that had it, and declined helping the admin to moderate his forum. It was too much work. Especially in code related sites. The URLs would always get broken up.

I dislike this VigLink. I don't want my links to be rewritten. No thanks.
If you have any examples of broken links then please do let us know and we can speak with VigLink about it. We've done extensive testing of this and not found any issues ourselves and VigLink is used on thousands of websites (including reddit) so such issues are extremely uncommon and it's in everyone's best interest for VigLink to work to help fix any such issue.

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm

With phpBB 3.2.0 officially released, can we please get clarification on the default status of the VigLink extension.

I did a test upgrade of a phpBB 3.1.10 forum and no where during the upgrade did it ask me anything about VigLink. When I checked in ACP->Customize->Manage extensions, the VigLink extension was enabled. This is absolutely not what I was expecting to happen based on the previous discussions here. Has something changed or is this a bug?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 pm

P_I wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:38 pm
With phpBB 3.2.0 officially released, can we please get clarification on the default status of the VigLink extension.

I did a test upgrade of a phpBB 3.1.10 forum and no where during the upgrade did it ask me anything about VigLink. When I checked in ACP->Customize->Manage extensions, the VigLink extension was enabled. This is absolutely not what I was expecting to happen based on the previous discussions here. Has something changed or is this a bug?
The extension installs as an enabled extension, but has its own specific enable/disable option in the VigLink settings. This is set as disabled by default.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

DavidIQ wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 pm
The extension installs as an enabled extension, but has its own specific enable/disable option in the VigLink settings. This is set as disabled by default.
Thanks David. After upgrading I had checked the ACP->Extensions tab which is where most extensions are configured AFAIK. I didn't see any mention of VigLink configuration.

I later found it under ACP->General at the bottom of the Board Configuration section and can confirm it is indeed defaulting to Disabled.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 am

actually, there are many extensions that do not require the extensions tab at all.
only extensions that need it, create it or add their settings to it if it already exists.

apparently, the Viglink ext works the same way. it has its own settings section in the general board settings area and therefore does not need to create the extensions tab.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:17 am

Not sure if this is the intended behaviour or not.

In 3.2 gold if, straight after installation, you uncheck the green tick for VigLink all it is doing is disabling the use of the VigLink extension - it is not disabling the extension, that still has to be done via "Extension management"

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that the whole extension would be disabled if the user did not want it installed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:01 am

No, the intended behaviour was only to disable the functionality if the user didn't want to have it enabled. The settings and the option to re-consider will still be there that way. Essentially it doesn't make too much of a difference as nothing is applied to the board either way when the functionality is disabled. I might also add that the functionality is disabled by default as well when a user does nothing and leaves the page.

Only if the user explicitly wants the extension itself disabled too (thus making the options under Board settings go away as well) they can get that done by disabling the extension under the Customise tab.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”