Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea is upon us

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Talk19Zehn

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea is upon us

Post by Talk19Zehn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello,
Saint_hh wrote:...(...)...
I'm curious how hard the style changes will be...
where you have current style code changes already found? I know only those complete reference from November 2015 ...
The complete version I find where? Is there already? Thank you ..
Best regards
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Weather - Climate - Water
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme
Style: Star Trek - StarTrekExcerpts - Fan-Board

zpintar
Name: Žarko Pintar

Post by zpintar » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Please, can you tell me will styles written for 3.1 work on 3.2 version or they need some customisation for nre version of phpBB?

VSE
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by VSE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:24 pm

M.O.B. wrote:Will 3.1.x extensions work on 3.2? Or will they all require an update?

This is usually why I hate not being able to update right away when a major phpBB release becomes available, since my sites rely a lot on many extension features. :(
phpBB's BoardRules and AutoGroups extensions are the only one's I know of that will have trouble in 3.2. They will appear to work just fine, but will cause a blank screen or fatal error when they try to use the notifications system. The workaround is to not hit the Notify users button in BoardRules, and disable the Notify users options in each AutoGroup configuration.

There are updated versions of these extensions for phpBB 3.2, but they will most likely not be released at the same time as phpBB 3.2, but they will come ASAP.

phpBB Pages will only have cosmetic issues with nav-bar icons in 3.2, and this too will be updated ASAP.

My Similar Topics ext will also appear broken in 3.2, but there is a new version coming soon for that too which will have it working in all versions of phpBB.

So, bottom line, if you got a lot of extensions, test out 3.2 locally first. See what may not work. DIsable any if you need to, or hold off updating phpBB until the exts that are a problem come out with updates.

There are no prizes for upgrading to 3.2 on day one. So take the time to make sure your board will work with what you're using first, and upgrade when it seems safe to do so.
Dictated but not read.
Official phpBB Extensions My Extensions & MODs
Please do not PM me for support.

takufner
Name: Prof. Caju

Post by takufner » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:41 am

Great christmas news :) Thanks team for the good job.

Many thanks :D

Saint_hh
Name: Kevin

Post by Saint_hh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:41 am

Talk19Zehn wrote:where you have current style code changes already found? I know only those complete reference from November 2015 ...
The complete version I find where? Is there already?
Not officially, but take a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=591&t=2384036
There will be a lot adapting in the CSS at least.
But I guess it's worth it. ;)

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:34 pm

zpintar wrote:Please, can you tell me will styles written for 3.1 work on 3.2 version or they need some customisation for nre version of phpBB?
There are many CSS changes from 3.1 -> 3.2 . I'm led to believe that 3.1 styles will install and have limited functionality on 3.2, but they will quickly become outdated as new events and features are added to the 3.2x development branch.

Generally it wouldn't be a good idea to try using 3.1 styles on 3.2 :)

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello Christian 2.0, this is indisputably correct.
Private development expenditures have been sown since the year 2014 with the appearance of the new generation. Why FA will not become a switchable extension will not be clear to me. Sadly it is every time, if on my part without any announcements in the development stages time etc. was consumed. This is not quite as fair(?).

Good luck to all developers who prefer perhaps a technically appealing outfit(?). ;)

@Saint_hh
They are not unknown to me, and yet I hoped they would realize other concepts in the final Version (FA).
The private effort is too high on a voluntary free basis. At the moment this is not an optimal basis from my point of view. ;)
Thank you for your feedback!!

Best regards and wishes at all. Let's go - to the next phpBB-generation (version) ....
BTW: My own works - phpBB - read more: ongray-design-de or look here: phpBB VT Theme

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:29 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:
zpintar wrote:Please, can you tell me will styles written for 3.1 work on 3.2 version or they need some customisation for nre version of phpBB?
There are many CSS changes from 3.1 -> 3.2 . I'm led to believe that 3.1 styles will install and have limited functionality on 3.2, but they will quickly become outdated as new events and features are added to the 3.2x development branch.

Generally it wouldn't be a good idea to try using 3.1 styles on 3.2 :)
I for one hope that there will be zero changes to styles between 3.2.x versions. This is terrible to upgrade both for style developer and site owner.

Talk19, love your honour style, hope you update it ;)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:52 pm

sorry to dash your hopes. there most likelyl will be changes between each of the upcoming 3.2 versions. most version updates will include new "events" in the style's html code. that will require you to update your styles as well as the rest.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Talk19Zehn wrote:Why FA will not become a switchable extension will not be clear to me. Sadly it is every time, if on my part without any announcements in the development stages time etc. was consumed. This is not quite as fair(?).
Because it would not make any sense to make it an extension or even be on a switch. This is an integral part of the style, not just some feature that can easily be turned on or off. Plus if you don't want it in your style then don't implement it. The use of FontAwesome in the default style was discussed on Area 51 as well about 2 years ago.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:38 pm

DavidIQ wrote:if you don't want it in your style then don't implement it
Are you saying that those who submit styles to the CDB will not get denied if they don't use FA? Maybe Raimon or another Styles Team Member can chime in?
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Hello DavidIQ, I know and I had already tried to propose solutions to formulate phrases - unfortunately without success. Sometimes reality - *finding the best solutions is not easy ... (example):
viewtopic.php?p=14392791#p14392791

;) The development, maintenance is still immense, if the KnowHow confirms itself. Apart from the Semantic. But anyway, phpBB goes the way that I do not want to affect.
Of course, I can also start over again and work out new concepts. That is relatively ...

*Finding the best solutions is not easy - For everyone ;)

All my best wishes for phpBB!!

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:55 pm

kinerity wrote:Are you saying that those who submit styles to the CDB will not get denied if they don't use FA? Maybe Raimon or another Styles Team Member can chime in?
There is no reason to require FA for a style outside of the default prosilver. Styles weren't denied before for using it so there wouldn't be any sensible reason to deny them for not using it either. Nothing in the core cares if you're using FA or not.
Talk19Zehn wrote:Hello DavidIQ, I know and I had already tried to propose solutions to formulate phrases - unfortunately without success. Sometimes reality - *finding the best solutions is not easy ... (example):
viewtopic.php?p=14392791#p14392791

;) The development, maintenance is still immense, if the KnowHow confirms itself. Apart from the Semantic. But anyway, phpBB goes the way that I do not want to affect.
Of course, I can also start over again and work out new concepts. That is relatively ...

*Finding the best solutions is not easy - For everyone ;)

All my best wishes for phpBB!!
Marc already answered all that for you so I won't re-hash. Though I will echo his comments that your concerns are purely subjective and opinion based and not really based on facts. The direction the default style is going is a good one which is to modernize it. Eventually it will get completely replaced, heck we might not even have the standard phpBB template stuff anymore and use purely Twig. ;)
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Unless I am missing something here - any style can have any css that it wants, with or without FA, it does not have to mimic prosilver. The only critical thing is that every style has the template events within it.

So basically any 3.1 style should still work with 3.2 (subject to events) - I have been using 3.1 styles on my test 3.2 board for months without any noticeable problems.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Unless that style is inherting from prosilver and simply changing css stuffs? Then FA may come into play (don't know haven't tried it).
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Return to “phpBB Discussion”