Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea is upon us

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
koraldon

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea is upon us

Post by koraldon » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:sorry to dash your hopes. there most likelyl will be changes between each of the upcoming 3.2 versions. most version updates will include new "events" in the style's html code. that will require you to update your styles as well as the rest.

robert
The difference is that updating phpbb itself is not complex (starting with extension in 3.1) as people don't change core code, most people probably modify the style to customize it. So you cannot just upload a new version like phpbb/extension and be done with it, you have to go and modify everything by hand, which is a nightmare.
I really don't understand why events are considered as maintenance those days, and not as features. How many of the new events are widely used that it is worth it to break style compatibility with every 3.2.x release?

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Most style modifications should be done via CSS. In the phpBB community it has become far too common to simply add inline style and add arbitrary changes to template files. There is a reason we introduced template inheritance which greatly reduces the need to modify or even add any HTML files. Sure, there are still cases in which you have to modify actual template files and we're trying to keep this in mind in future versions of phpBB as can be read when looking at the style development forum on area51.

Saint_hh
Name: Kevin

Post by Saint_hh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Marc wrote:Most style modifications should be done via CSS.
Exactly this is what I've done. Inheriting is a great relief. I only have two template files to maintain.
But anyways, the changes in CSS seem to be big in this upgrade. Let's see how long it takes me to adapt my style over to 3.2
When can we expect a changes overview? Is it worth it to start working on this, are you expecting bigger style changes before final release?

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm really not looking forward to seeing how extensive the style and template changes are...I can't help but modify things how I like them...

For example, I've been using FA already for a few years IIRC and also minimised all the separate css into a single file for performance reaons. Gonna be interesting to see if 3.1.x is where I have to stay.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Kinsman

Post by Kinsman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:12 am

Great news!, any news on 3.1.11 though? I would like to update all our 85 extensions to their latest versions before I start testing 3.2, but 3.1.10 does not let us update many of them.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 am

what does that mean? as far as I know, there are no updates to extensions yet. 3.1.10 is still the current version and there may or may not be a 3.1.11 ( probably so, but there is no way to know for sure ).
also, most 3.1.10 extensions will currently work with 3.2 anyway so there is no point to worrying about updating them to 3.1.11 ( or any other future version of 3.1 ) before you upgrade to 3.2

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Kinsman

Post by Kinsman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 am

What it means is that 3.1.10 broke a whole bunch of stuff, including updating extensions that require DB updates.

I had been patiently waiting for 3.1.11 to fix it, so some of our extensions are quite outdated.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:18 am

Kinsman wrote:... including updating extensions that require DB updates
Which extensions were those?

To the best of my knowledge there are no extensions that require a database, or any other, update when there is an update to core phpBB.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Kinsman

Post by Kinsman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:48 am

Loads of extensions do. Not only that 3.1.10 introduced quite a few known bugs, read the forums.

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14831

All I'm asking is will there be a 3.1.11?

Otherwise I will try to track down a 3.1.9 DB folder and go ahead and update all my extensions.

For Info here is a bunch of staff recommending to wait for 3.1.11, including yourself

viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2390376&start=30

david63

Post by david63 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:55 am

Kinsman wrote:Loads of extensions do.
I will ask again - which ones?

I have installed well over a 100 extensions and not one of them requires a database update for a phpBB upgrade - in fact I cannot even think of a situation where this would even be necessary.
Kinsman wrote:Not only that 3.1.10 introduced quite a few known bugs
I am well aware of that, but that is something totally different to updating the database.
Kinsman wrote:update all my extensions
I still do not know what you mean about "updating your extensions - there is nothing to update with an extension for a phpBB update.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

Kinsman

Post by Kinsman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:42 am

Why is such a simple question taking so many posts to answer? You surely read the link where you yourself admit there is a problem with migrations and to wait for 3.1.11 It was my understanding that every extension updates the DB upon install and removal but happy to be wrong, I'm only following the advice of several devs here.

viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2390376

Plus updating just one of my extensions broke the entire site and it took me some time to restore my backups, so yes, i'm a little leery of just jumping on the 3.2 bandwagon before actually fixing 3.1.10

One last time, will there be a 3.1.11 ?

Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:52 am

Simple answer: yes, of course there will be a 3.1.11.

david63

Post by david63 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 am

Kinsman wrote:Why is such a simple question taking so many posts to answer?
Because you are confusing two issues. Yes there is a bug with migrations in 3.1.10 but that will only manifest itself when you are installing certain extensions.

When you update/upgrade phpBB extensions are not touched and if they are installed then that bug will not be seen.
Kinsman wrote:It was my understanding that every extension updates the DB upon install and removal
Yes it does - but only on enable/disable/delete data, none of which take place on a core update.
David

spaceace

Post by spaceace » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:14 am

koraldon wrote:you have to go and modify everything by hand, which is a nightmare
when new versions of phpBB come out, it takes me about 15 minutes to update all 3 of the styles i maintain. and all 3 do not inherit from prosilver or each other. updating them is simple...
  • take a full copy of prosilver from the old and new version being worked with
  • use a file compare program to find the changes that were made... i use Beyond Compare
  • delete any files that have not changed
  • compare the changed files with your style that needs updating and apply the changes in the compare program
  • save the changes
do this a couple times and it really becomes simple ;)

i for one am looking forward to updating my board to 3.2... some extensions might have issues, they also might not. if they have an issue, they get canned till they get fixed :lol:

thinking of all this style stuff makes me think about if i want to add FA to my styles :?

thank you phpBB team :D

Saint_hh
Name: Kevin

Post by Saint_hh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:36 am

@Spaceace:
Grab yourself the 3.2 rc2 and give it a shot with merging.
Start with the theme directory / CSS and you'll see that you can multiply your 15 minutes several times.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”