Seo Mod and Phpbb 3.2

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
koraldon

Re: Seo Mod and Phpbb 3.2

Post by koraldon »

Google is very flexible, and change things and decisions as the web evolves. This why it is absurd to cite something from ten years ago.
He'll nobody used a smartphone back than.

Any way, to the original poster - your problem is that you are going to change URLs, and it can take time for Google to re-map and you can lose ranking.
If it is a private site, learn to live with it.
If it is commercial, get someone to redirect it.

At least map your most popular Google landing pages and manually redirect.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

juliokr wrote:
HiFiKabin wrote:from http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... -urls.html
Monday, September 22, 2008 !<snip>
Now lets have a think about this.

In September 2008 Google posted that information and it has not been updated since. Why might this be? There are two possible reasons:-

1) Because everything has changed in the preceding 8 years and Google couldn't be arsed to update their information?

2) Because nothing has changed, the information is still valid and does not updating?

What do you think is the correct reason?

Now I really am out of this topic.
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

HiFiKabin wrote:In September 2008 Google posted that information and it has not been updated since. Why might this be? There are two possible reasons:-
If you want to have on a look on a little bit newer document of Google (©Copyright 2010 Google )
https://static.googleusercontent.com/ex ... -guide.pdf
You can read :
Simple-to-understand URLs will convey content information easily ...

...Some users might link to your page using the URL of that page as the anchor text. If your URL contains relevant words, this provides users and search engines with more information about the page than an ID or oddly named parameter would ...
Ger

Post by Ger »

Look, if you want to change your URLs than do so. If you don't care about it, than don't. There are more or less valid arguments for both sides.
But please, please stop bringing this up every week or so. Or simple close all the new topics about it, referring to a previous one. I'm getting too old for this stuff...
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote:Look, if you want to change your URLs than do so. If you don't care about it, than don't. There are more or less valid arguments for both sides.
That's 100% true and I agree !
Ger wrote:
But please, please stop bringing this up every week or so. Or simple close all the new topics about it, referring to a previous one. I'm getting too old for this stuff...
At the origin there was a question of 1 person who was looking for an alternative for seo mod which doesn't existe anymore. This is a legally question or not ?
No reason to bann, or not ?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

juliokr wrote:No reason to bann
Who's been banned?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Mick wrote:
juliokr wrote:No reason to bann
Who's been banned?
I have been meaning no reason to bann (or close) the topic as Ger asked for !
solas

Post by solas »

I want to move back to standard phpbb url formats from phpbb-seo, and one thing I havne't seen the above people mention, is that by default phpbb, doesn't explain much to the user or the search engines in terms of structure or a url.

For example...

/viewforum.php?f=1
links to
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5802

Where are on phpbb-seo

/social-f1/
links to
social-f1/need-buy-djembe-around-900-spend-t5784.html

The logical sub-structure is reflected in the URL, which I personally think is a big improvement....
eeji

Post by eeji »

just my 2 pence worth on the subject, then I too am out...

I have never ever used any sort of SEO trickery with phpBB, my site uses "out of the box", "ugly" URLs that have no relevence whatsoever to the page content. Yet for associated keywords, my phpBB site is on the first page (and top result on most) of Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, and Dogpile (those are the only ones I tested).

I know some of those results may be due to tracking, but as an experiment try to search for 'corn snake morphs' in your favourite search engine and see if the link in my signature pops up on page one of your results.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.iansvivarium.com
My "board": iansvivarium.com
(yes, it's running phpBB!)
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

eeji wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 pm
I have never ever used any sort of SEO trickery with phpBB, my site uses "out of the box", "ugly" URLs that have no relevence whatsoever to the page content.

The debate can go on and on about site ranking, as I see it the best biggest benefit is the user has an idea about they are about to click on. Especially important for user generated content where link text is not used. Regardless of whether it makes for better search rankings it's a nice feature for the user.
I know some of those results may be due to tracking, but as an experiment try to search for 'corn snake morphs' in your favourite search engine and see if the link in my signature pops up on page one of your results.
Do a search for corn and find out where you rank. It's not difficult at all to rank for specific long tail results. "Corn" on the other hand is a very competitive search term. All things being equal other than optimization a forum that has been optimized is going to rank higher for "corn" or "corn snake morphs" than one that isn't.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Discussion”