Seo Mod and Phpbb 3.2

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
yaashul

Seo Mod and Phpbb 3.2

Post by yaashul » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi,

We are currently using php 3.0.x and would like to shift to php 3.2. We use dcz phpbb seo mod and our links are -vf3.html for forum and -vt475.html for topics. Is there any way we can retain our old links and convert the forum in php 3.2 as and when full version available.

Thanks for the help.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Seo Mod and Phpbb 3.2

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:21 pm

The best person to answer that would be the mod author.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

yaashul

Post by yaashul » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:23 pm

phpbbseo seems to be dead.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Unfortunately that's the price you pay. You *may* get more help in the extensions forums but either way support isn't the place for mod or extension related questions.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:54 pm

I never used the phpbb seo mod but the only alternative "seoUrls". And there is an extension which works very well (even if it's still beta) with 3.1 and even 3.2
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2288486

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:32 pm

I am curious as to what benefit you think you will get from renaming the urls to something like "vt475.html"?

currently it would be something like this: "viewtopic.php?f=2&t=475"

search engines do not care about .html versus .php and vt475 is no better than t=475
not sure why any so called SEO MOD/extension would even bother doing that. the whole point of the so called
"SEO urls" would be to change it to something like: "t=keywords of topic.html"

even that is not really any help for search engine placement.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:"SEO urls" would be to change it to something like: "t=keywords of topic.html"
Thats true !
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:even that is not really any help for search engine placement.
Can you proof it or is it just your personal opinion ?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:23 pm

it is my opinion based on what google says about it.

I have been doing this a long time. years ago, google, etc. did not know what to do with dynamic urls like phpbb uses. there software has improved a lot over the years and they have no problem with them now.
check with google about things google. don't listen to anyone that is trying to sell SEO to you, most of them are not up on the current state of the software. from what I have seen, most of the so called SEO experts in the blogs/forums etc. are still working from information that is several years old at best.
these days, you may create more problems with SEO tricks than you solve with them.

the best SEO is lots of current content relative to whatever your board's subject is.
make sure that your forum and topic and subject titles have relevant keywords in them.
that is what will show up when someone is searching for something to do with your subject matter.

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Google doesn't always do what they say ! If not everyone would know there algorithms and there are only 10 places on the first result page ! ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:make sure that your forum and topic and subject titles have relevant keywords in them.
On forum boards the users are delivering the content.
Do you ask your users to make seo friendly titles, keywords .. ? :)
Search engines might not care if a page has the url like

www.forum/viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2398121

or

www.forum/computers-f556/mac-t2398121.html

they will list both but the question is how !

If in this example page somebody opens a treat like
"what's your OS version" I think a search engine will easier understand that the topic is talking about macintosh computers and not windows nor linux PCs.

They will list in anyway that's true, but if somebody makes a Google search f. ex "best OS version" and looking for opinions for widows and Google presents this example page you will get a higher bounce rate and this is very bad.
It's just an example. In anyway search engines don't seem to like forum boards so much so it's better help them a bit !

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:11 pm

you as admin/moderator can edit topic titles. you can create the forum titles as you wish.
google will look at the page and see the topic title the subject line etc. it does not really pay any attention to the urls these days for this very reason.

google looks at the total content of the page. if the content contains the keywords that the searcher put in the search box, it will show up in the search results pages. It the keywords are in h1 tags as well as in the body of the text, it will show up higher in the returns. there are other things that google looks at on the page as well.
the URL is way way down on the list of relevancy.

sorry for taking this so far off topic. I am out.

robert

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the URL is way way down on the list of relevancy.
How can you know this ? Do you work at Google ?

If you think "seo-urls" are worth for nothing you don't need to use them. 99% of all kind of websites are using "seo-urls", are they all stupid ?

Personally I'm using "seo-urls" for all my websites including phpBB since the beginning. And my forum is very well referenced so I would not like to miss it

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:46 pm

My one and only contribution to this topic as I know you will disagree.
Q: Does that mean I should avoid rewriting dynamic URLs at all?

A: That's our recommendation, unless your rewrites are limited to removing unnecessary parameters, or you are very diligent in removing all parameters that could cause problems. If you transform your dynamic URL to make it look static you should be aware that we might not be able to interpret the information correctly in all cases. If you want to serve a static equivalent of your site, you might want to consider transforming the underlying content by serving a replacement which is truly static. One example would be to generate files for all the paths and make them accessible somewhere on your site. However, if you're using URL rewriting (rather than making a copy of the content) to produce static-looking URLs from a dynamic site, you could be doing harm rather than good. Feel free to serve us your standard dynamic URL and we will automatically find the parameters which are unnecessary.
from http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... -urls.html

juliokr

Post by juliokr » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm

HiFiKabin wrote:from http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... -urls.html
Monday, September 22, 2008 !
The algorithms of search engines are changing all the time !

And by the way
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you as admin/moderator can edit topic titles. you can create the forum titles as you wish.
I would never change the post of my users. And I would never write on a board where the webmaster is changing my topics !!

And one more thing :
Maybe it's just a coincidence
Just type Google search
"phpbb who to install"

Me I'm getting on the first page 10 results of pages which are all using seo-urls !

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Which are all static, now google Seo Mod and phpBB 3.2
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:26 pm

sorry, I just can't resist.
Monday, September 22, 2008 !
yes, way back in 2008 the decided that they were not going to pay much attention to URLs any longer.

it is not that the info is old and out of date, it is that the info that you and many other so called SEO experts are using is from before that time and therefore out of date.

ok, I am out for sure now. there is no point in trying to convince you or others about this even when shown proof from the horses mouth.

good luck.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”