Is phpBB right for me? Installer / developer request.

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Spes

Is phpBB right for me? Installer / developer request.

Post by Spes »

Hello
I hope this is the correct place to post this. My future / intended forum is 100% non-commercial / non-profit.

I am trying to figure out if phpBB will do what I want, and -- spam --
1) OK, so phpBB has forums and blogs, great. Can forum messages be promoted to blogs?

2) OK, so phpBB has anti-Spam, very good. (I want to avoid all forms of forum spam, including where only regular posters can insert URL's into messages and their profiles, and preferably where any URL's are converted to nofollow internal bounce to links).

3) I read there are some SEO options / mods (long search term URL's, sitemap, etc). Good, if any security / board updates do not kill these.

4) I want a UK specific forum, where UK registrations can be automated, but non-UK registrations have to be manually approved.

5) I want to ban certain known spammer countries from ever being able to register / post on the boards (China, India, Pakistan, South America), and I would like to have some protection against proxy servers if possible.

6) Ideally I would like polls options for forum threads, so other registered users can vote on them.

7) I would like users to gain rank according to the number of posts they make (4 levels).

8) I would like a points based warning system for user infractions, on top of immediate banning.

9) Ultimately, (this is down the road), I would like PayPal integration, so that new users have to pay a very small amount to become registered automatically and manually. And for some kind of PayPal banning system (so, if a user gets banned, their PayPal address becomes banned, so they can not re-register under a different name / email using the same PayPal account). This is a wish list item.

Again, am looking for help / advice in wheter phpBB is right for me, and -- spam --

:)
Last edited by Brf on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed solicitation
sakm
Name: Stu

Re: Is phpBB right for me? Installer / developer request.

Post by sakm »

Spes wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 am

1) OK, so phpBB has forums and blogs, great. Can forum messages be promoted to blogs?

phpBB does not have blogs there may be an extension to make this happen though

2) OK, so phpBB has anti-Spam, very good. (I want to avoid all forms of forum spam, including where only regular posters can insert URL's into messages and their profiles, and preferably where any URL's are converted to nofollow internal bounce to links).

Not sure on the links but you could have newly registered users require approval on first post

3) I read there are some SEO options / mods (long search term URL's, sitemap, etc). Good, if any security / board updates do not kill these.

SEO has changed a lot over the years and a lot of people worry way too much about it! Good content is what you need to aim for there is really no need to change anything in phpBB

4) I want a UK specific forum, where UK registrations can be automated, but non-UK registrations have to be manually approved.

Not sure that would be possible! but again look at the newly registered users require approval on first post

5) I want to ban certain known spammer countries from ever being able to register / post on the boards (China, India, Pakistan, South America), and I would like to have some protection against proxy servers if possible.

Good anti spam again couple with newly registered users require approval on first post will put a stop to any issues

6) Ideally I would like polls options for forum threads, so other registered users can vote on them.

Polls are already in built in to phpBB

7) I would like users to gain rank according to the number of posts they make (4 levels).

Already built in

8) I would like a points based warning system for user infractions, on top of immediate banning.

You would have to seek an extension for that but not sure if one is available

9) Ultimately, (this is down the road), I would like PayPal integration, so that new users have to pay a very small amount to become registered automatically and manually. And for some kind of PayPal banning system (so, if a user gets banned, their PayPal address becomes banned, so they can not re-register under a different name / email using the same PayPal account). This is a wish list item.

Doing this will stop new users registering but there is an extension for paypal with auto groups that you could use and set up to allow paypal donations which automatically puts them in a new group which the group could be set to allow permissions to certain parts of the forum not sure on the banning part though!

Hope the replies above help

Also I don't think you can ask for paid help on here
Spes

Post by Spes »

No-one?
Spes

Post by Spes »

Thanks sakm - but my post was moderated, so I presume it is OK to ask. Thanks for your responses. I am really looking for more of a fit however, if anyone is able to help.
sakm wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 am
Spes wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 am

phpBB does not have blogs there may be an extension to make this happen though

Not sure on the links but you could have newly registered users require approval on first post

SEO has changed a lot over the years and a lot of people worry way too much about it! Good content is what you need to aim for there is really no need to change anything in phpBB

Not sure that would be possible! but again look at the newly registered users require approval on first post

Good anti spam again couple with newly registered users require approval on first post will put a stop to any issues

Polls are already in built in to phpBB

Already built in

You would have to seek an extension for that but not sure if one is available

Doing this will stop new users registering but there is an extension for paypal with auto groups that you could use and set up to allow paypal donations which automatically puts them in a new group which the group could be set to allow permissions to certain parts of the forum not sure on the banning part though!

Hope the replies above help

Also I don't think you can ask for paid help on here
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Post by darcie »

As you can see from the edit on your post, the solicitation offer was removed. It is not possible to hire through this site, but we can answer your questions!

See this rule here: https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#spam
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Return to “phpBB Discussion”