Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea Feature Release Published

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea Feature Release Published

Post by Marc »

Ambis wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 pm Guess the installer wasn't tested on any larger forums?
The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.
Now keeping fingers crossed with cli for it to complete the DB migration fully.

Also the installer/updater does not check beforehand that it actually has all the necessary permissions to finish the db migration.

Anyways, enhancements in 3.2 look good and I was especially looking forward to seeing PHP 7.1 support :!:
Actually, it has been tested on larger boards. We even tested updating a local copy of www.phpbb.com to 3.2.0 using the AJAX installer beforehand.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

I successfully updated a forum with a 3GB database. Your mileage may certainly vary with varying server configurations.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
divingbrit

Post by divingbrit »

The instructions to increase your timeout settings, or to use CLI posted previously, are not simple, and frankly beyond many of us who use a forum like a car, we know how to drive,but don't know, and don't really want to know, what happen sunder the bonnet and so a warning on using "FTP - Automatic files update" might be in order. Or even a note on the installation page on how to revert back to doing an alternative method.

Also at the end of the successful process a simple note 'saying now delete or rename your install dir, and return to your board.' which was always on previous updates would help, otherwise some us were not sure if the upgrade had finished, or what to do next.

I must say the work done by the phpbb team is first class
Shy but working at it
Ambis

Post by Ambis »

I'm sure you guys are aware of http://php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

Well, anyways. The CLI did do all the migrations overnight.

Maybe the problem lies in the documentation, where one cannot find any discalimers that if one is running a forum with database size of over, say 1 GB (or whatever), please update files with installer and then use phpbbcli to migrate the database.

I also wasn't happy that the updater requires PATH_INFO (app.php/upgrade or whatever the path was) where as the site otherwise won't use PATH_INFO. Had to temporarily update nginx config to allow this.

Also updated my PHP-FPM docker container to run PHP 7.1 and request times were basically cut in half. Yay :!:
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

It's highly recommend to properly declare PATH_INFO when using nginx. Take a look at the sample config file for this:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/blob/3.2 ... ample.conf
girello

Post by girello »

hi
i have used phpBB-3.2.0-RC1_to_3.2.0
forum work but if i go in PCA or PCM i have this error:

Catchable fatal error: Argument 3 passed to phpbb\finder::__construct() must implement interface phpbb\cache\driver\driver_interface, instance of phpbb\cache\service given, called in /web/htdocs/www.photolandia.net/home/phpbb/extension/manager.php on line 619 and defined in /web/htdocs/www.photolandia.net/home/phpbb/finder.php on line 58

tnx for help
http://www.photolandia.net
version phpbb 3.2
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You need to open a topic in support not in discussion. (Jim was kind enough to move your other posts viewtopic.php?p=14602676#p14602676).
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
girello

Post by girello »

sorry ! :(
http://www.photolandia.net
version phpbb 3.2
donsenilo
Name: Markus

Post by donsenilo »

Ok ... I hope I'm here right for my (maybe stupid) question ...

Of course I'm very excited for 3.2, but 3.3 is in work.
So what is the best ?
Update my 3.1.8. to 3.2 or wait for 3.3 ?
david63

Post by david63 »

donsenilo wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm Update my 3.1.8. to 3.2 or wait for 3.3 ?
I certainly would not go for the last option as you will probably have a long wait. There has certainly been no dates for 3.3 published but based on the time-frame of getting from 3.1 to 3.2 I would guess the best part of two years - possibly more.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
donsenilo
Name: Markus

Post by donsenilo »

david63 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 pm
donsenilo wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm Update my 3.1.8. to 3.2 or wait for 3.3 ?
I certainly would not go for the last option as you will probably have a long wait. There has certainly been no dates for 3.3 published but based on the time-frame of getting from 3.1 to 3.2 I would guess the best part of two years - possibly more.
Thanks David !
marsmars2

Post by marsmars2 »

My thanks to everyone on this project... you all are wonderful!

I have upgraded to 3.2... but I'm seeing some strangeness on Google Chrome for the Mac (v55.0.2883.95 64-bit). The new "popup" features (located under Quick links and the user area in the upper right) are not going away when I click on them (sometimes they make the other one appear once one goes away), and the preferences icon is repeating like crazy (see the enclosed picture.) Safari and Firefox for the Mac works great!, it's only Google Chrome (for the Mac at least) that is being weird.

But I like what I see, thanks again, and peace!
Attachments
discus.png
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Marsmars2, that's because the CSS has been changed, so you need to do a hard refresh on your browser by using the Ctrl + F5 keys. In the future though, please post issues like these in the Support Forums. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
.dia

Post by .dia »

WIll 3.1 extensions work on 3.2?
visit my github account: Image
david63

Post by david63 »

.dia wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:08 pm WIll 3.1 extensions work on 3.2?
Those known to have problems can be found here - viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2400236
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “phpBB Discussion”